U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:29 PM
wmk wmk started this thread

4 posts, read 15,270 times
Question Ticket for tinted windows?!?

I received a ticket for my back window being too "tinted"...is it possible that the meter read it as too dark because of the car being dirty? I had the windows tinted at a dealership...I am certain they are within the appropriate limit. Worth the "fight"...or just pay the dumb fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 PM

52 posts, read 93,195 times
Law Enforcement Concerns About Tinted Windows - wcco.com (http://wcco.com/local/police.tinted.windows.2.669467.html - broken link)

If your windows are below 50% and within legal limits, I'd gather ample proof and fight it in court. If your windows are not within those limits, I'd pay the fine and get the windows redone (perhaps with a complaint to the dealership for providing you with illegal windows).

Old 02-08-2009, 04:37 PM

7,386 posts, read 14,139,517 times
The funny thing is that you can get your windows tinted any shade that you want, even if it is 'illegal'.

It doesn't hurt to take it to court. The worst that will happen is that you just end up paying the fine anyways, but if you also have the opportunity to explain that the dealership installed the tint and you might have the fine dropped (if you removed the tint before you went to court) or reduced.

Cops know that the vast majority of people will not contest this (or other minor traffic violations) in court.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,990,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmk View Post
I received a ticket for my back window being too "tinted"...is it possible that the meter read it as too dark because of the car being dirty? I had the windows tinted at a dealership...I am certain they are within the appropriate limit. Worth the "fight"...or just pay the dumb fine?
Cops are using a meter now to check tint? I'd take it to the dealership and have thier meter read it or take it to a reputable tinter in your area and have them put a meter on it and if either one of those checked out then take the results and your ticket to court.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 PM

960 posts, read 2,582,787 times
It's just a fixit ticket right?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 PM

102 posts, read 155,410 times

This is an easy ticket to withdraw. Mailed the ticket back to the court and put no guilty. if you are not sure back to the guy who put it on for you or take it off by yourself.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:09 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,114,355 times
The ticketing issue in Minneapolis is truly bizarre. A few years ago I parked near the Minnehaha Falls well after 5pm to go running and when I got back to the car, I had a ticket stating that as I hadn't bought a permit at the parking meter I now had a $48 fine. Problem was, the ticket the traffic cop wrote me had a time on it where I wasn't even in the area, let alone parked there! I called the DMV in Minneapolis and got this unbelievably smug @$&#! on the phone who said I'd have to drive over there, get there at 7:30am and wait in line as it was first-come-first-serve and then file my dispute in person.

Instead I emailed and faxed copies of the ticket along with a very snotty cover note, and left a very snotty voicemail, and after a couple of days got the ticket returned to me with a note on it stating that it had been incorrectly issued to the wrong license plate and therefore was rescinded.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 AM

394 posts, read 1,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
The ticketing issue in Minneapolis is truly bizarre. A few years ago I parked near the Minnehaha Falls well after 5pm to go running and when I got back to the car, I had a ticket stating that as I hadn't bought a permit at the parking meter I now had a $48 fine. Problem was, the ticket the traffic cop wrote me had a time on it where I wasn't even in the area, let alone parked there! I called the DMV in Minneapolis and got this unbelievably smug @$&#! on the phone who said I'd have to drive over there, get there at 7:30am and wait in line as it was first-come-first-serve and then file my dispute in person.

Instead I emailed and faxed copies of the ticket along with a very snotty cover note, and left a very snotty voicemail, and after a couple of days got the ticket returned to me with a note on it stating that it had been incorrectly issued to the wrong license plate and therefore was rescinded.
Wow that's rediculous!

The same thing happened to me, well kinda. I quickly ran inside to grab my running shoes, and had parked my car facing the wrong way and when i came out, 2 minutes later i had a ticket. however if you look down my road at any given time, there are at least 10 cars parked like that at all times with no tickets. So, i found i had to wait in line at 730 am on Tuesday or Thursday just to fight it. When I get there, its a fat guy sitting in a chair behind plexiglass, saying "Rules are rules" "you can only dispute if it is officer error".

Its like come on, isnt there any discretion?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:52 PM

2,805 posts, read 2,436,909 times
Welcome to TintLaws.com

Old 02-11-2009, 01:03 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,464,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Wow that's rediculous!

The same thing happened to me, well kinda. I quickly ran inside to grab my running shoes, and had parked my car facing the wrong way and when i came out, 2 minutes later i had a ticket. however if you look down my road at any given time, there are at least 10 cars parked like that at all times with no tickets. So, i found i had to wait in line at 730 am on Tuesday or Thursday just to fight it. When I get there, its a fat guy sitting in a chair behind plexiglass, saying "Rules are rules" "you can only dispute if it is officer error".

Its like come on, isnt there any discretion?
I don't see anything confusing about this scenario. You illegally parked your car and received a citation and when you went to dispute it you admitted that you were illegally parked. It makes no difference that other people did it and got away with it. That fact of the matter was that you did something illegal and you were punished for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul