Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

There are several Asian markets/restaurants in St. Paul on University Ave near Dale St. There is also a large Asian food market in Minneapolis called United Noodles. There are a dozen or so sushi places in the the Twin Cities although I can't really comment on how good they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
There are several Asian markets/restaurants in St. Paul on University Ave near Dale St. There is also a large Asian food market in Minneapolis called United Noodles. There are a dozen or so sushi places in the the Twin Cities although I can't really comment on how good they are.
There's good sushi here. However, I've eaten good sushi in San Diego and San Franciscotoo ...and it's the same as here. Sushi is sushi.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM

14 posts, read 30,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Wow. I live in the Twin Cities and I like it here. But I would have made my decision by the time the "or to" had been uttered

Well... trust me I thought the same at first... I would be getting a pay increase of $13-15K if I goto St. Paul from Dallas, TX. Whereas I would make alittle over $3K if I go to Hawaii... Its not cheap there although I wouldn't need my car.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailstate77 View Post
Well... trust me I thought the same at first... I would be getting a pay increase of $13-15K if I goto St. Paul from Dallas, TX. Whereas I would make alittle over $3K if I go to Hawaii... Its not cheap there although I wouldn't need my car.
Even with needing a car, I've gotta think that extra $10-12k would go farther in MN than HI. Still probably not worth it however.

That brings up an interesting point though...I once read that the Twin Cities rank very high on the list of something like "most expensive cities for transportation." Public transit options are limited and owning a car is expensive here. Winters are hard on cars. OK, so figure your car insurance is maybe $500/year if you're lucky. Then factor in gas, repairs, and commute time. At least $2500 eaten up right there. So I bet that car costs you a good $3000/year. Now you've got $7-9k extra. Subtract the harsh winters (whatever the sunshine tax is worth to you), and ....yeah, Hawaii is looking better and better.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
You just described people everywhere. That phenomenon is not unique to Minnesota.
It is a LOT more noticeable in Minnesota however

Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Can you quantify "a lot?"

Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
You just described people everywhere. That phenomenon is not unique to Minnesota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I wonder if it's related to the smaller percentage of transplants in the Twin Cities compared to some places?

I don't know that folks here in Atlanta are any "nicer" in general than people up there, but I could see that a larger percentage of people here would not have a local circle of friends from high school anymore because half of them didn't even live in the Atlanta metro 20 years ago.

With more resident churn comes more forced social mixing, or so my thinking goes...

Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM

12 posts, read 58,106 times
Minnesota is an amazing place to live. I've lived here all my life. If you're looking for a quiet suburb to live though, I would not suggest falcon heights. I would sway more to the east metro, Maplewood, Oakdale, Woodbury, Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, North St. Paul, White Bear Lake, Stillwater... All EXCELLENT and CLEAN places to live for $1000, further education, find a job, make friends etc. Trendy places, I would agree with Grand Ave, lots of younger and college age people there, as well as downtown MPLS, or Uptown, however those areas do have a higher crime rate then the suburbs I listed. As for people being rude or "not as nice" as the general public, totally false. There are good people and bad people in any place you go to, its just whether or not you can recognize them. There are areas in the Twin Cities where you just should not go walk around at night, similarly there are areas that are incredibly safe and you can let your kids play outside and not have to worry about anything happening to them.

The minimum wage in MN is $6.55 an hour. I am a college student as well, however my highest degree is a high school diploma so far and I have had no trouble locating a job when I need one.

As for clubs and nightlife... definitely check out "block E" on any wed-sat night. Block E is an area of downtown MPLS where some of the best known bars and clubs are located. Hennepin Ave and First Ave are very popular streets in MPLS where these clubs are. My favorite club is Spin, although many honorable mentions are Aqua, the Dive Bar, Club Epic, Valentinos (which is located in south st paul, not in MPLS) Any wed-thurs night is bound to bring you some entertainment in that area.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me! I highly support moving to MN!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 AM

14 posts, read 30,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenesotahhEH View Post
Minnesota is an amazing place to live. I've lived here all my life. If you're looking for a quiet suburb to live though, I would not suggest falcon heights. I would sway more to the east metro, Maplewood, Oakdale, Woodbury, Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, North St. Paul, White Bear Lake, Stillwater... All EXCELLENT and CLEAN places to live for $1000, further education, find a job, make friends etc. Trendy places, I would agree with Grand Ave, lots of younger and college age people there, as well as downtown MPLS, or Uptown, however those areas do have a higher crime rate then the suburbs I listed. As for people being rude or "not as nice" as the general public, totally false. There are good people and bad people in any place you go to, its just whether or not you can recognize them. There are areas in the Twin Cities where you just should not go walk around at night, similarly there are areas that are incredibly safe and you can let your kids play outside and not have to worry about anything happening to them.

The minimum wage in MN is $6.55 an hour. I am a college student as well, however my highest degree is a high school diploma so far and I have had no trouble locating a job when I need one.

As for clubs and nightlife... definitely check out "block E" on any wed-sat night. Block E is an area of downtown MPLS where some of the best known bars and clubs are located. Hennepin Ave and First Ave are very popular streets in MPLS where these clubs are. My favorite club is Spin, although many honorable mentions are Aqua, the Dive Bar, Club Epic, Valentinos (which is located in south st paul, not in MPLS) Any wed-thurs night is bound to bring you some entertainment in that area.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me! I highly support moving to MN!

Thanks for all your advice! I may have to contact you when I make my final decision between VA, HI, and MN. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
It seems more so here after having lived and traveled in other places -- maybe because Minnesotans rarely leave to live elsewhere. We really like it here - things are extremely EASY - no stress - contractors for the most part are very trustworthy, people trusting and to be trusted - no long waiting for any kind of appointment. You can just sail through life here and have it all at the same time. Excellent colleges and medical facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul