Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 AM

174 posts, read 470,041 times

Advertisements

anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM

20 posts, read 46,068 times
Unfortunately, there are no pizza joints in the metro area that even come close to NY pizza. Don't even try to seek out those places with their claims of NY Style, you'll only be met with failure.

Top 3 Pizza Spots in Metro:
  1. Pair of Dice aka Pair of Dies
  2. Red's Savoy Pizza
  3. ...everything else

Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
There used to be a place at Nicollet and 24th called A Slice of New York--I remember going to their old location at 6th & hennepin back in the '80s-'90s after seeing a show at 1st Avenue and it was pretty good. I don't know if they're still around though.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:36 AM

40 posts, read 156,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge, Jury, Executioner View Post
Unfortunately, there are no pizza joints in the metro area that even come close to NY pizza. Don't even try to seek out those places with their claims of NY Style, you'll only be met with failure.

Top 3 Pizza Spots in Metro:
  1. Pair of Dice aka Pair of Dies
  2. Red's Savoy Pizza
  3. ...everything else

Pair of Dice is amazing. Their Carryout special is an EXTRA LARGE pizza (One topping.thin crust) for $9.15 (after taxes) and it is DElicious!
I always get that deal with onion as my topping. (I know it sounds plain with just onions but the flavor is CRAZY!)

The neighborhood is pretty dicey though (no pun intended)
it's in N.MPLS on Broadway.
So I would recommend getting delivery or calling ahead your carry out so you don't have to hang around there too long.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
I havent found anything that comes even close. I will be monitoring this thread to see if anyone else has though. Both NY style pizza and chinese food has been disappointing.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
The only place I can think of is right off the last stop of the light rail downtown. There is a pizza by the slice place called "Time Square Pizza & Subs." If I remember right it is somewhere in between Drink and Sneaky Pete's. I've gone there for afterbar eats before and it was good. MLPS Todd, are you talking about "A Slice of New York" ? It's on 24th and Nicollet. That'd be another place to check out.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM

174 posts, read 470,041 times
There was a pizza place in Dinkytown across from Eriks Bikes that wasnt too bad, but Pizza Luce is garbage, imo.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM

664 posts, read 1,945,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcitti View Post
There was a pizza place in Dinkytown across from Eriks Bikes that wasnt too bad, but Pizza Luce is garbage, imo.
OMG! Someone who agress with me about Pizza Luce...I do not like it at all! Everyone else seems to love it? Don't get it....

Old 10-21-2009, 03:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge, Jury, Executioner View Post
Depends on what you're looking for in Pizza.

Eduardo's near Southtown Mall in Bloomington was very very good, but it was more Chicago-style, and I've always thought both Green Mill and Old Chicago made decent pizzas. Again, though, not New York style.

I also like Carbone's, but I don't know how you'd classify it. Greasy but tasty?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Glad to see Pair of Dice (aka Paradise) Pizza making people's list- awesome pizza and really great customer service...I thought they were delivery and take-out only (could be wrong) but I believe their delivery covers a fairly wide geography.

There is a relatively unknown little ma and pa place that we fairly recently discovered- Mama Donato's Pizza & Pasta (4705 36th Avenue North, Crystal, MN (763) 521-1113). Although it previously had been around in the same building, the restaurant had gone through multiple owners/management until it recently reopened by the Donatos (who also have the flower shop next door)- owned and operated by real-life Italian NY transplants and great NY-style pizza. But I'm not an expert in this field- I'd be curious to hear other folks' reviews if they try it.

Other places we like, albeit not necessarily NY-style: Papa's Restaurant & Deli (42nd & Thomas Aves N, Mpls)- neighborhood restaurant, NJ transplant owner with a popular "East Coast Tomato Pie" menu item- their pizza generally gets rave reviews (actually, this one I think summed things up pretty well) and they have the best garlic cheese bread I've ever eaten. I also like to hit up Red's Savoy when I'm in St. Paul (although I've heard they have other locations as well).

Broadway Pizza, on W. Broadway & W. River Road, is alright. I prefer the places listed above, but I am always surprised by how busy Broadway Pizza is throughout the day so they must have quite a following (either that, or there's just so few other sit-down options in the immediate vicinity, not sure).

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 10-21-2009 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul