U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM

6,449 posts, read 12,696,338 times

Advertisements

Fracas over Popeye’s Fried Chicken Price (http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/dpgo_Fracas_over_Popeyes_Fried_Chicken_Price_april _22_20092432461 - broken link)

Was anyone present on the day that people went nuts because the Popeye Chicken joint on Lake St in South Minneapolis declined to participate in a national promotion for Earth day? After hearing about this I had to see what all the hype was about so I ate dinner there on Friday night. I was actually impressed. I would call it a KFC except it's Louisiana style cooking and there were different side menu items like cajun rice and rice and beans, etc. Is it food worth rioting over? My answer to that question is an enthusiastic YES!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,599,252 times

YouTube - Popeyes Runs Out of Chicken in Rochester, NY

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 AM

987 posts, read 3,456,239 times
Hey I LOVE Popeye's. I had it a few weeks ago after a few years. It was my treat to myself after cycling 50 miles. Too bad I can't have it everyday.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM

203 posts, read 440,615 times
Wow. I love that video. How stereotypical! I love how the news only shows BLACK PEOPLE who want the chicken. I love it. Talk about propaganda

It's so ridiculous. I don't even find it funny. Not all Black people are obsessed over chicken. I STRONGLY dislike people who perpetuate stereotypes.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Never been to a Popeye's in the TC (I thought the had all closed after a brief appearance here. Wasn't John Najarian, the U of M cardiologist, one of the franchise owners? ). I've been to their stores in other states. I thought it was fabulous food, better than KFC.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 5,599,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
Wow. I love that video. How stereotypical! I love how the news only shows BLACK PEOPLE who want the chicken. I love it. Talk about propaganda

It's so ridiculous. I don't even find it funny. Not all Black people are obsessed over chicken. I STRONGLY dislike people who perpetuate stereotypes.
Maybe they happened to be the only customers at that time. The one time that I stopped at a Popeyes Chicken, my wife and I sat down and ate for at least 1 hour during dinner time and I noticed that I was the only white customer during our entire time there. This was in a racially mixed area of Jacksonville, Florida.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 PM

77 posts, read 274,850 times
i'm white as a ghost and i love me some popeyes...and KFC, watermelon, and malt liquor. its not a black people thing, its fat people thing (a demographic i will surely join if i keep it up with this kind of foodstuff)

Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM

86 posts, read 429,975 times
Quote:

The only people perpetuating stereotypes were the blacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopsie goldburg View Post
i'm white as a ghost and i love me some popeyes...and KFC, watermelon, and malt liquor. its not a black people thing, its fat people thing (a demographic i will surely join if i keep it up with this kind of foodstuff)

Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
Quote:

I agree with the premice that people shouldn't be perpetuating stereotypes, but I fail to see how filming the customers at Popeyes is "propaganda." I noticed at least one white person in the Minneapolis story, and while the NY news did seem to be only black people I don't know the demographics of that area to comment. It could just be that a lot of black people live in the neighborhood. If anything, the news did a good job interviewing a broad spectrum of customers, men and women, a guy in a suit and fancy SUV, and two guys in what looked like they were in uniforms.

The news should be careful overall about creating or spreading false sweeping stereotypes, but they shouldn't have to be so hyper-aware that they selectively choose customers to interview based strictly on race when it comes to a story like this. I doubt that the stations were selectively ignoring non-black customers.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM

203 posts, read 440,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNorthSide View Post
The only people perpetuating stereotypes were the blacks.

One thing different is that people actually take stereotypes about Black people as facts.

Not necessarily. They could have heavily edited what the had shown to the public. Sure, some Black people may act stereotypical..but I could say that about other races too..

What are you doing the *smiley covering it's mouth* icon? I know that you are probably thinking way worse. Go on. Say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul