Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,308 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Minneapolis area this summer due to a job transfer. We have two sons (just finishing 9th and 8th grade). Both are very involved in orchestra - one plays violin the other cello. They also both take Latin and run cross country. Are there any public school districts in the Minneapolis area that have all these programs? Which would you recommend? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
I know Edina does.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:45 PM

114 posts, read 535,310 times
You could also consider doing what we did. When we learned that the school that our two daughters would attend (there was no choice, we live overseas so had fairly narrow choices in English language schools) didn't have an orchestra, we started one. It was a wonderful learning experience for our daughters. We first talked to the Music Director (who taught band) and asked him if there had ever been others who might be interested. It turns out that there had been interest but no one wanted to do the leg work. My daughters and I found a string instructor, willing to teach the orchestra class, which was offered 45 minutes before school started. We let the other parents know, the string instructor let his students know, and then we collected money from the players' parents. Basically we paid the instructor an hourly wage, one morning per week and for concert time. If the experiment worked for one year the school promised to pick up the cost of the program for the next year, eventually putting it in their regular school offerings if there was enough interest.

A great thing about this is it allowed my daughters to play their instruments with a group AND had time for another elective course. One was a keen singer so was able to join choir and the other a keen artist, so able to take an advanced art class that would not have fit in to her schedule. A win/win situation.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
I thought Latin was a dead language and useless?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I thought Latin was a dead language and useless?
Not useless ... there are certainly many documents around written in Latin, and I suspect the Catholic Church has an opinion on the matter as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM

114 posts, read 535,310 times
Not to mention medical terms are frequently in Latin. Studying it also gives you a leg up on studying other languages.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 8,516 times
To quote a nationally traveling guest conductor at the 2009 annual all-city concert with hundreds of kids playing, "Edina is the gold standard of orchestra programs in the United States." Edina is a Grammy award winning school for 2005, 2007, and is up for 2009. In addition to band - which most american schools have, each Edina elementary has a 5th grade orchestra, both middle-schools have orchestras in 6, 7, 8, 9 with Valley View having a much better conductor with the 8th or 9th orchestra being in the state finals every year. Edina High School has a world class program with a large symphony, a philharmonic, and a chamber orchestra. Many students with titles in state and nationally, a few have gone on to professional careers and a few have become stars. There are annual trips with every other year abroad. All students are accepted. It is a class. While there are auditions they are for placement, not participation. It is just that the teachers bring the best out of everyone without being oppressive.

Last edited by alliea; 05-30-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 AM

Re: Latin.
Edina also has latin. Edina High School Profile - Counseling - Edina High School - Edina Public Schools (http://www.edina.k12.mn.us/edinahigh/counseling/profile.html - broken link)

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 AM

Re: Cross Country.
Of course. In athletics, in the last 50 years they have won twice as many athletic titles as any one else in Minnesota even those schools over 100 years of trying and much larger. Sports Illustrated puts it in the top 10 in the US for athletics.

Last edited by alliea; 05-30-2009 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 08:17 AM

You did not ask about academics in general, however Edina has been in the top 100 high schools in the US, Newsweek, US News, Business Week, for the last few decades. Top ranked by Schoolmatch.com

Last edited by alliea; 05-30-2009 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul