U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 PM

581 posts, read 2,165,636 times

Advertisements

Having lived in New York I have a strong accent. The South have
theirs as well. So I was wondering if most people in Minneapolis
really talk like the actors in the movie Fargo or whether that was
just exaggerated for the movies..?? Just curious..?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 PM

812 posts, read 2,026,864 times
No, not at that level. Minnesotan's do have an accent but it's a lot more subtle than that. I did hear a few men from Wisconsin that sounded like that once.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,168,059 times
No. They don't. That accent is highly exaggerated, and while there are some people who really do talk like that, they don't tend to live in the Twin Cities. I mentioned on another recent thread (there's some debate about this on the "outsider's view..." thread) that I fully acknowledge that there is a Minnesota accent, and you do hear it in Minneapolis, but a Minneapolis/MN accent is not the same thing as what you hear in the movie Fargo. The Minneapolis accent is more neutral, with distinctive MN sounds coming out mostly in certain words. There are also some regional phrases and words that can mark a person as Minnesotan. In general you tend to hear stronger accents in smaller towns, or at least that's been my experience.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:49 AM

23,788 posts, read 26,111,228 times
Truth is most of us long time residents are desensitized to the accent and while it may not be as over the top as in Fargo, it is definitely there. I grew up in the Mpls suburbs, my wife grew up in Northeast Mpls, and we are often asked when we travel if we are from Minnesota. Not the Midwest, or "up-north", or Canada, or Wisconsin, or even Fargo but Minnesota. She didn't believe we had it at first (after seeing the movie) but we notice everyone from the local radio personalities to the cashier at the grocery store to the interview with the "man-on-the-street" all could have been extras in that same movie. Around here, all you have to do is listen for it and you will here it many times during the day. End of story.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 AM

164 posts, read 567,277 times
I lived there for quite a while and then moved away. I didn't notice the accent while I was there, but after leaving I do notice it when I go back to visit people. Generally, the urban areas in the Twin Cities aren't so bad, but when you get out in the rural areas or in the northern part of the state, the accent is more pronounced and there are people that sound exactly like the movie depicts.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:40 AM

31 posts, read 109,287 times
Minnesotans do tend to have Long O's and Long A's moreso then in other areas. It's not as exaggerated as in the movie unless you go way up north then youll find some that really do talk like that but generally not in the Twin Cities.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:19 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,168,059 times
I grew up in Minneapolis, and during my years elsewhere people sometimes asked me if I was from Canada. I've never had anyone pinpoint it as Minnesota based purely on accent.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 PM

242 posts, read 398,148 times
Interesting. When I play on Xbox Live people usually ask me if I'm from Canada, and my wife (who's from California) says my accent isn't that bad.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:03 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,860,683 times
All native Minnesotans have "the accent". It varies by household.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 AM

4,693 posts, read 5,321,833 times
When I visited the Twin Cities I very much noticed an Upper Midwestern accent. It's not as over the top as the Fargo movie but it exists.

I like regional accents. I am somewhat surprised they still exist to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul