Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 81,664 times

Advertisements

Hi all --

We're looking at purchasing a home in the Hopkins school district. I'd appreciate any feedback from those have had kids who have gone throught the district -- likes, dislikes, etc? From the research I've done, Hopkins tends to score a little lower than some of the surrounding districts . . .

Also -- is it true that if we cared to, we could aplly to have our child go to school in another district -- Edina / Minnetonka, etc?

Any help would be apprciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,073,556 times
Hopkins schools have a pretty good reputation and yes, they probably score a little lower then Edina and Minnetonka but you have to realize that the difference for most is negligable. Minnesota does have open enrollment and you can apply for your kids to go to schools in other districts but it is NOT a guarantee, Edina for a while was not accepting open enrolled students, not sure if they are now or not.

In the old school ranking system through the state you could filter out the special education students taking the standardized tests (or you could filter by boys, girls, white, black, etc. for that matter) and get a good indication what the 'average' student was doing in each district. If you could still do that you would find that most suburban schools in the Twin Cities metro area would score almost identically on standardized tests.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,972,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Hopkins schools have a pretty good reputation and yes, they probably score a little lower then Edina and Minnetonka but you have to realize that the difference for most is negligable.
Of course, half of the kids in Minnetonka actually go to schools in the Hopkins school district. :-) Or that certainly used to be the case when I went through it in the 60's and 70's.

-Graduate, Hopkins Lindbergh HS, Class of '81. :-)

Old 04-11-2007, 08:43 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,530,061 times
Saying Hopkins isn't as high as Edina is like saying the BMW isn't as nice as the Ferrari. Hopkins is one of the best districts in the state, and has been for some time. Hopefully this doesn't sound harsh, it isn't meant to be. But I have never heard anything bad about hpkns. BTW, be sure to get a schools district map, I think boundaries here consciously try to avoid city lines. I know any parent would be pleased to send their kids there. Also, Open enrollment usually doesn't have bus service, FYI.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:47 PM

297 posts, read 838,574 times
Default We're in the Hopkins district

Hopkins is rated as one of the highest in the state. And, as another poster said, the city of Minnetonka is mostly zoned to the Hopkins district. The city of Hopkins is very, very small. A small part of Minnetonka is zoned to the Wayzata district.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 AM

987 posts, read 3,802,740 times
I'm in Hopkins. The one major downside is the high school is huge!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,972,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
I'm in Hopkins. The one major downside is the high school is huge!
When I went to school there we had two high schools: Hopkins Lindbergh and Hopkins Eisenhower. Lindbergh Flyers rule! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul