U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,193,593 times

Advertisements

Today and tomorrow mark the Victory neighborhood's 15th annual garage sale weekend. Every year thousands of people make it out for this community event, and today has been no different- tons of sales and people out and about (my street is completely packed with parked cars on both sides).

It got me thinking that there should be a thread devoted to notices of upcoming community garage sale weekends here on city data as a way to honor this traditional celebration of summer, community, and thriftiness here in Minnesota. It's also a good way for prospective homebuyers to check out local neighborhoods so fits well with this forum.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,308,797 times
That's a great idea! Neighborhood sales do seem to be a bigger deal in the Twin Cities than anywhere else I've lived, and are a great way to get a taste of a neighborhood.

In the Uptown area, ECCO's sale is Saturday, June 6, and the Wedge (LHENA) sale is Saturday, June 20. (East Isles doesn't have one, and CARAG's was a couple of weeks ago)

My guide to the Uptown sales (and some thoughts on why these sorts of sales are good community-builders):
Uptown, Minneapolis - Past, Present, and Future: Garage Sale Season is Here!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,193,593 times
Although I admittedly am not much (if at all) of a garage saler, every year I am amazed at the turnout of people and all of the alleyways-turned-marketplaces (literally) throughout the neighborhood. There are a number of blocks that go all out (Xerxes, Washburn, Vincent esp)- some folks rent tent canopies to shade sunny spots in their driveways and every other house has one or a combination of a garage sale, yard sale, plant sale, or grilled food/ cold beverages sale. The multifamily sale we were a part of had items coming from a couple of Camden neighborhoods, Northeast Minneapolis, and as far out as Apple Valley. It is a great chance to get out, enjoy the weather and meet neighbors!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 PM

501 posts, read 1,793,165 times
I'm so jealous, Camden! We had our garage sale as part of this event (Shingle Creek and Lind-Bohanon also held their sales yesterday...isn't it Camden-wide, supposedly?) and had *maybe* 15 cars stop from 9-2:30! I didn't even want to *guess* how many people were buzzing through Victory...

There were 69 sales on Victory's list and 6 sales in Lind & Shingle COMBINED! (granted those were just registered sales, I saw at least a handful of sales that didn't make it on the map so I can't even imagine how many sales there were, really!)

It's not hard to see which neighborhood in Camden is most popular/close-knit/community-oriented, though...

Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 PM

812 posts, read 1,952,972 times
Love the Victory sales, I worked at a sale in Robbinsdale this year but I went in the afternoon and still found some great stuff.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 AM

8,243 posts, read 13,690,672 times
The Standish, Corcoran and Ericsson garage sale starts June 13th. Last year's event had over 130 households in participation, making it the largest neighborhood garage sale in the city. The area covered by this sale extends from Lake Street to Minnehaha Parkway and from Cedar Ave to Hiawatha Ave. Get more information here:

Corcoran Neighborhood Organization | Home Page

Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,240 times
Garage sale in apple valley
209 belmont ct
Apple valley mn,55124
Painting,drywall equipment
8/12/2012 12pm-6

Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 PM

356 posts, read 538,233 times
We took part in the Rosemount Garage Sale Day a couple years ago and found it was WAY too much competition. The area is so spread out, there were too many to go to. We had another one about a month later and that one got more people. We will never participate in the city wide garage sale again. Worked out better for us to do it on our own.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM

10,630 posts, read 24,308,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
We took part in the Rosemount Garage Sale Day a couple years ago and found it was WAY too much competition. The area is so spread out, there were too many to go to. We had another one about a month later and that one got more people. We will never participate in the city wide garage sale again. Worked out better for us to do it on our own.
We've done it both ways -- doing one with the neighborhood is easy because all you have to do is to sign up and then put your stuff out (no ads, no signs, instant audience), but my experience is similar to yours, in that the stand-alone sales tend to make more money and clear out more stuff. And these days all you need to do is put an ad on Craiglist, which makes it ultra-easy. Plus, if you're hosting a sale during the all-neighborhood sale, you don't have time to go shopping yourself! (although before moving we got ambitious and did the neighborhood sale, but were also open on Thursday and Friday. The serious garage sale crowd came on Thursday.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul