Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
(Why not Barrow, Alaska. 30's and 40's in the summer, -50 in the Winter
Oh, that glorious ice fog...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
If I were you I wouldn't be worried about the temperature as much as the mosquitos. I don't know what the bug situation is down in Florida, but in MN the mosquitos can be as big as your fist and carry your children off into the night. If you like sitting outside in early evenings watching a softball game or a bonfire, prepare to be eaten alive.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 PM

29 posts, read 116,137 times
Quote:
Today, where I am at in Southern Minnesota it is 98 Degrees, Dewpoint 72. Heat index 109.
Same tomorrow, but I think its supposed to cool down into the 80's next week. Average for this time of year is 85.
People should know that Southern Minnesota is often a world apart from the stereotypical Northern Minnesota when it comes to weather and climate (If your in southern Minnesota you might as well be in Missouri or Kentucky with the heat and humidity in the summer). Northern Minnesota summers will probably fit you the best. It can get dang hot in Southern Minnesota. Canada is also nice, but can get ridiculously cold in the winter.
That's why it so nice up in Duluth. Too warm, go down by the lake. It will be 5-10 degrees cooler in the summer.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic220 View Post
Clifford63:
"People here have been know to whine about the heat when it gets over 75, so there is a different standard in my opinion."
Exactly Cliff. Thats what I was thinking. Remember Minnesotians, I have been living on a hot beach my whole life. I think your "hot summers" are like our winter days around 3:00 pm. Feels like 85 degrees or hotter with the humidity. I could be wrong. Thank all of you for your information. This sight is great and its helping me decide between two major cities right now.
This is so true. I'm from the Northern part of Minnesota but thought I'd chime in anyway and hopefully shed some light. My wife was at work yesterday and everyone was coming in telling her how "hot" it was. It had been cool and cloudy when she went in to work so she was excited to hear that it had heated up and hoped we'd be able to enjoy a warm/hot evening at home. She left work at 5:15 PM and it was 70 degrees out......ya, hot, that's it.

People up here in the Duluth area start complaining about the "heat" when it rises above 65.....and when it hit's 75 degrees they can't stand the intense heat.....when it hit's anything over 80.....you can hear the whining for miles. It's funny in a way and really sad in another.

Look at the weather/humidity tables for each month for the Twin Cities area and decide for yourself. Having been in Florida in the summer months my opinion is that Minneapolis will be at least a few degrees less in temp and way less in the humidity dept.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
I stayed in Gainesville, FL for some time for school. I think the summer in Twin Cities is better than in Gainesville overall. Not as hot and fewer storms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic220 View Post
I am a Florida native and want to move into Minneapolis. Whats up with these hot summers? You guys have the coldest metropolitan weather in the US and now your telling me the summers are as hot as Florida? This issue is really holding me back from moving. I have read all recent threads but still just don't understand. Please help.
I think people stress making friends in MN to much. I am very social and have no doubt I will make friends quick. Just fill all your free time with multiple social groups or common interest clubs. I will deal with the winters if I can get cool summers. I'm hoping that a Minnesotian's idea of a hot summer is different from a Floridian's. We have high humidity too. I feel like an iguana under a heat lamp almost year round:smack I Just want to escape the brutal heat forever...and no, I'm not moving to Alaska.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
From my experience, Florida has big mosquitos too. But I am not that attracted to mosquitos. If someone is with me, usually the mosquitos are more interested in him/her, so it is a bit difficult for me to compare. But, definitely had some experience with them in Florida (I was alone, of course ^_^).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
If I were you I wouldn't be worried about the temperature as much as the mosquitos. I don't know what the bug situation is down in Florida, but in MN the mosquitos can be as big as your fist and carry your children off into the night. If you like sitting outside in early evenings watching a softball game or a bonfire, prepare to be eaten alive.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 8,160 times
Hi, I'm a new poster here.. but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Personally, I think summers in the Twin Cities are too hot. But that's because I grew up and live in northern Minnesota. The difference between northern MN and southern MN is bigger than southern MN and St. Louis.

Here we typically have highs in the upper 70s and low 80s in July and August with lows in the 50s. Today was a "warm" day with 82˚F, but that's about as hot as it has been all year. We also had a storm roll through at lunch time that cooled it off again before the afternoon.

Either way, Minnesota summers are very nice. And if you get sick of the heat and humidity, September is absolutely beautiful in Minneapolis.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,297 times
If you are a long time resident of Florida, the summers in Mn. won't bother you nearly as much as the winters. I've lived in both and the body adjusts over time. I don't mind summer in Fl. You spend a lot of time indoors in A/C just like you spend a lot of winter in Mn. inside in the heat. All what you like.
Both have advantages and disadvantages. Mn. is a great, great place with wonderful people.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
I moved here from the Columbia SC area which has very hot and humid summers and the summers are much cooler here. Last summer I had the AC on twice here in MN and had only one day where I actually broke a sweat. Yesterday was alittle warm so I ran the AC,this morning the AC is off and the windows are open.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Today, where I am at in Southern Minnesota it is 98 Degrees, Dewpoint 72. Heat index 109.
Same tomorrow, but I think its supposed to cool down into the 80's next week. Average for this time of year is 85.
People should know that Southern Minnesota is often a world apart from the stereotypical Northern Minnesota when it comes to weather and climate (If your in southern Minnesota you might as well be in Missouri or Kentucky with the heat and humidity in the summer). Northern Minnesota summers will probably fit you the best. It can get dang hot in Southern Minnesota. Canada is also nice, but can get ridiculously cold in the winter.

-" you might as well be in Missouri or Kentucky--"

Sorry, statistics don't back up that claim.

Going back 60 years of record keeping , here are the average number of days above 90 in a year----

----St Louis Missouri-----40
----Paducha Kentucky----39
--Sioux Falls SD ( which would be near the SW corner of MN)-the very hottest area

Duluth MN---------------2
Int Falls MN-------------4
St Cloud (central MN(---10
Minneapolis MN----------13
Rochester ( SE MN(------6

Someone mentioned Gainsville FLA
---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul