Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you love cold weather?
I LOVE it 38 25.50%
I like it 30 20.13%
meh 20 13.42%
I dont like it 11 7.38%
I HATE it 47 31.54%
other 2 1.34%
View 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:11 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times

Advertisements

I despise it, and in West MI you get very accustomed to it. I think I hate the snow/ice more than the lower temps, but either way we've been trying to move south for months with no luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:46 PM

23 posts, read 122,216 times
Well I don't love the -30 C days, when it's so cold it stings. But anything warmer than that is ok with me, and I do like the cooler weather. The snow is fun, and I absolutely love being outside when it's snowing. It's just so beautiful.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Just trying to figure out how people can live up north...

I love the cold weather, and I miss it. I miss driving in the snow, too, though I admit I don't miss scraping ice off my car at all. Brushing snow is fun, tho.

At least it gets down into the teens here in the Atlanta metro a few times during the winter. Not the same as nice crisp -15F air, but close enough to convince me that it actually is wintertime...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
A nice snowfall is always awesome. there is NOTHING comparable to waking up to a white landscape from the night before. Cold air is nice to breath, and it cleans the air... Extend days of cold, i mean really cold SUCKS. This is typically January and February. Believe it or not, 30s is actually a nice temp in the winter.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 PM

77 posts, read 305,436 times
YES
i'm an ice angler, and i spend 6 months out of the year waiting for the cold. i just don't understand how people can be such babies about it. grow a pair!

take a little drive around minneapolis during a gentle snowfall...its amazing, like a totally different city. i love how we have 2 versions of minneapolis: summer and winter. both equally beautiful.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Just trying to figure out how people can live up north...

The same way that you live in the south.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 PM

122 posts, read 412,363 times
Iam From Northern Toronto and The Cold Doesnt bother me we are used to it, I Like the crisp cold air.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I don't hate the cold but it lasts too long. I wish there was a place that had real winters than only lasted 3 months. Winter can be half the year in MN. I've seen snow there in September to mid May. Too long. Now I've never liked the shoveling. Especially that wall of guck the plow leaves at the end of your driveway.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I think most people don't like cold. They just make up for it by something else. Most people I meet in MN just tell me that it does not bother them as much as one from elsewhere would suggest, but they wouldn't say they love it. There are several on this forum though saying that they actually love the cold. I don't know whether they are trying to persuade others or to persuade themselves though. I can perfectly understand that people love winter activities, but the cold itself is a difficult sell. More cold weather does not mean more winter activities.
Having lived for many years in both Miami and MN, I saw the same phenomenon down in FL (and you can see it yourself on the FL forum). The weather in S FL is ungodly from the end of March to the beginning of November (heat & humidity to the max, you must run your ac 24/7, you sweat just walking out to your mailbox), but many Floridians say the weather there is perfect.

I think MOST people don't like either extreme. Except for Californians, the rest of us pick our poison and live with it. Personally, I can handle a few days of sub zero weather every winter in MN, than 9 solid months of humidity in FL. I wouldn't trade a MN Spring/summer for a FL winter any day. Your results may differ.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:58 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
This past winter in Minnesota was particularly depressing. We descended into the deep freeze in mid-November and really did not begin to normalize until mid-February. Then there was that lovely stretch of more than a month below freezing (12/30 - 1/31) and the kick of subzero temps in January (1/12 - 1/16). Bleh. I agree with people who really like autumn. The problem for me is that it doesn't last. It gets progressively worse. But this whole month of September has been absolutely great.

As to why people live in this climate (or any) -- I think it has to do more with inertia than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul