Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,819 times

Advertisements

I just received a bill from the City of Minneapolis notifying me that they can't track down the previous homeowner and that his dilenquent utility bills are now mine to pay. The charges were incurred in June 2008 and this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Does anyone know if there's some sort of statute of limitations - i.e. by law the city has to send a bill within 60 or 90 days? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 PM

77 posts, read 378,082 times
That *seriously* sucks. I'm guessing you didn't do a lien search when you bought the house? If you didn't, you may want to consider doing that now and see if anyone else has any outstanding bills against the house.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,375 times
how can they possibly force you to pay that?!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
I believe the new owner assumes responsibilites on old utility bills. I had a search run by the title place before we had all the documents signed to change over the house and they ended up paying some old bills for me. No doubt I'll pay the fee to have the search run anytime I make a home purchase going forward.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:30 PM

138 posts, read 370,594 times
Default Homeowner didn't pay utilities...

Talk to your realtor. I believe our seller had to sign something that there were no unpaid bills. And good luck to the utility company collecting from you. Won't hold up in court.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:51 PM

77 posts, read 378,082 times
It was the city that sent him the bill, and my guess is that it would hold up in court. When you buy anything major- property, housing, a car, you need to do a lien search and make sure there isn't any money owed against it. If you don't, and you buy the item, then you are also buying the debt along with it. Your realtor or lawyer should've suggested that you run it.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:53 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Here's the city's take on it: Billing Questions

So basically, you bought the unpaid bill with the house, and it's up to you to resolve the matter by paying the bill, or it will eventually be sent to the county and added to property taxes. Given that the city has an FAQ about this, it's happened before, it'll happen again, and I'd wager that it's all nice and legal.

Since you'll have to pay it, this raises the question, how much are we talking? I mean, if it's just one month's bill (June 08), I would just pay it and put it behind me to rid myself of the stress. If it's several months worth, they'll do installments, but it looks like they'll get the money eventually somehow. Maybe they'll negotiate--it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

If there was a title search done, then I believe that comes with some sort of title insurance that you would have a valid claim against.

Good luck.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,819 times
Thanks all!! I didn't want to fork over the cash if it was just the city trying to be a bully, but sounds legit. Since it's only $50 I guess I'll just pony up and move on with my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul