Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:44 PM

207 posts, read 794,457 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has any tips about what might be the best route? Anyone every made this drive before? It's a long one, but is it scenic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 9,990 times
highway 94west will get you straigh to mpls, its the best and safest way to take i believe its 16hrs drive, good luck

Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Thank you for your response. Google maps tells me to take highway 69 through Flint, Michigan to 94, and then just before Chicago it says switch to hwy 90 and then back to 94 after Madison Wisconsin. So I switched it so that it was 94 all the way and you're right, it's 16 hours. Can you tell me why the original Google route might be less safe (at those two particular points mentioned)? It takes under 15 hours so I would opt to go with that route unless there is a good reason not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concern citizen View Post
highway 94west will get you straigh to mpls, its the best and safest way to take i believe its 16hrs drive, good luck

Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 PM

64 posts, read 222,122 times
it will take you the same amount of time regardless of what way you take. I have driven to Woodstock and back a few times and have gone through flint and through Detroit.

16 hrs was the deal.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,081,659 times
It is the most boring drive you will ever make in your life. I did Detroit to Toronto -never again. A close second was driving through Arkansas. By the time my boyfriend and I got home I wanted to choke him.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:57 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
We haven't been that entire route, but have done the part of the route through Chicago and up to the Twin Cities multiple times (during both winter and summer weather). We took the 90 to 94, but think we chose the 90 to 94 route because 90 goes through mostly rural and small towns/smaller cities, while the area along 94 towards Milwaukee is more developed and potentially has more traffic. I haven't done the 94 route, though, so maybe those traffic concerns are unwarranted. There's no difference in safety; my husband's done that drive 15-20 times, and says he likes the 90 route because it's flat, skirts the suburban traffic to the north of Chicago, and it's easy.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks. I think we're going to opt for 90 to 94 then. And thanks for verifying that safety shouldn't be a concern. We once did a road trip to North Carolina from Toronto, and stopped in Baltimore along the way. I was the navigator and made a bad call by choosing to take what seemed like a nice short cut into the city...it was the scariest experience!! We proceeded to get lost for 2 hours in a very bad neighbourhood (unlike anything I'd ever seen before, and I live in a big city). I imagine that there wouldn't be such concerns on this trip in any case because we would be on a highway and wouldn't be stopping anywhere, but the initial comment on my post got me a little worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
We haven't been that entire route, but have done the part of the route through Chicago and up to the Twin Cities multiple times (during both winter and summer weather). We took the 90 to 94, but think we chose the 90 to 94 route because 90 goes through mostly rural and small towns/smaller cities, while the area along 94 towards Milwaukee is more developed and potentially has more traffic. I haven't done the 94 route, though, so maybe those traffic concerns are unwarranted. There's no difference in safety; my husband's done that drive 15-20 times, and says he likes the 90 route because it's flat, skirts the suburban traffic to the north of Chicago, and it's easy.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 AM

27 posts, read 97,958 times
I second the loop around Chicago. Honestly, depending on when you hit it, 94 through isn't horrible, but I always prefer 94 to 90 and around. Also, if the express lanes are open when you're going through Chicago, take them. Last, if there's no place you plan on stopping in Chicago (but, you might want to if you have time) then I'd stick to the oasis stops for gas / snacks. They're rest stops built over the freeway.. easy on / easy off... gas is a bit more expensive.

Madison is another fun town to stop in. And, depending on when you're passing through and what your interests are, stopping in the Wisconsin dells and going to one of the water parks might be a fun diversion.

I can't speak to the Canadian leg of your journey, but, in my opinion, the highway isn't very scenic until you're west of Madison. You'll get some variety as you head towards the Mississippi. Things will taper off once you're into Minnesota again, though.

edit: I've made the trip from Minneapolis to Chicago and beyond about 30 times now. Another consideration is the toll stops on the Chicago leg of the trip. If you can get an I-Pass before hand or if you're comfortable calling in and paying afterwards, you'll save about 45-70 minutes in toll stops (even with the reduction in the number of toll booths, it still takes time to stop, pay, and go). Depending on where you might decide to get off in Chicago, some exits are exact change only so be prepared for that.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,795,529 times
I'd be curious to hear of people's experiences going north from Flint through Michigan's Upper Peninsula into Wisconsin/Minnesota as it's something I've always wanted to do. Some family members of mine once did this and I believe they had said it was a nice scenic drive albeit longer (not sure how much longer, but google maps says only 2 hours longer). If it was me and I had plenty of time to kill and wanted a more scenic route, I think I would opt for doing this as I hate the drive from Michigan- Chicago- Minneapolis (have done it round trip at least half dozen times- not very scenic at all IMO).

Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM

27 posts, read 97,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I'd be curious to hear of people's experiences going north from Flint through Michigan's Upper Peninsula into Wisconsin/Minnesota as it's something I've always wanted to do.
Having grown up in the upper peninsula, I'd say someone would be daft to pass up the opportunity if they had the time. I'm highly biased to the Superior side of things, but both US-41 or US-2 are great. For someone heading that way, be sure to look for waterfalls or lakeshore to stop at along the way.

It's also a bit more rustic up there. That is, the rest stops are open pit latrines. And, you'd better not be in a hurry... two-lane with passing lanes far between.

I'd be nervous about driving around dawn / dusk through either the UP or northern Wisconsin. Deer are suicidal and bent on taking you down with them.

If going that way, I'd leave in time to visit the things that make that stretch worth the drive... so, personally, I'd want to leave more than 2 hours in there. Maybe stop along Lake Michigan, some waterfalls, maybe the Apostle Islands, downtown Duluth, maybe the north shore (with a stop at New Scenic Cafe for dinner and a sunset). Yep, it'd take me about 4 days longer going that way... and that's assuming I didn't decide to stop in Marquette and call it quits.

Oh, and, of course depending on the year, that is NOT the way to go at all once late fall hits through spring. Lots and lots and lots of snow, unpredictable weather, and there are some mighty long stretches of lonely road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul