Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times

Advertisements

Poor college student here! How do I join them???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Poor college student here! How do I join them???
Yeah, tell me about it. Or you could be like the lady from Cambridge who created a thread on here begging for rent money.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 PM

20 posts, read 90,885 times
Yeah, I think at least some of you guys are talking about the same group of people. "Eco-punk-hippy" and "crust punk" both capture it. I saw a bunch of them together once, and there are at least twenty of them. It's not just a few... that's what got me curious. They're not threatening at all; even the dogs look pretty mellow.

Quote:
Accepting gifted money from someone who earned it through working isn't any more independent or anarchist than working a job...
I agree with this, although I'm not as angry about it, lol. What they need to do if they are serious about living under the radar is go start themselves a commune or something.

My working theory is that they're after adventure more than anything else. That, or it's some kind of experiment being done by students at the U of M. I wonder how how the Institutional Review Board would tackle that one? At least they wouldn't have to worry about funding.

Last edited by DinerCoffee; 08-26-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 12:58 AM

77 posts, read 305,529 times
the gutter punks are harmless. i'd give them my spare change/extra food before the bums at lyndale & dunwoody any day.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinerCoffee View Post
"Eco-punk-hippy" and "crust punk" both capture it.
I prefer the term "trust-afarian", and having quite a bit of experience workng with/ knowing real homeless people who did anything but choose this way of life, I give the "crust punks" good fodder for their little 'experiment' (or perhaps give them the 'real' experience) by not acknowledging their existence...and, my guess is that if these weren't a bunch of predominantly white kids travelling around in packs with a bunch of dogs following them around, they would have been locked up by now for breaking any number of city ordinances- I wonder if that causes them all to really rage against their own white privilege?

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 08-28-2009 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 06:36 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
I just say "nope" and keep steppin.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM

91 posts, read 190,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
We went to the Walgreens yesterday off of East Lake St in Seward and these people were sitting on the sidewalk right near the entry way. The punkish dude had his dog there who was eating dog food in a bowl and they had that same sign "Hungry Broke and traveling."

I don't know what's up with them but I didn't give anything to them. There were some similar beggars in Chicago who were specifically asking for food and my wife gave one of them half of her sandwich from Quiznos. I have no problem with sharing a little food with somebody who is hungry but I hesitate to give a beggar money. Chances are they are going to use the money for booze or drugs...what's the benefit of supporting that?
I've seen the broke/beggar couple with the dogs sitting outside of Walgreens on E. Lake Street, too. It makes me mad they decided to bring their dogs along for their panhandling "adventures." Like, what if their dogs get sick? How will they care for them? There isn't a county vet hospital emergency room for the pets!

I just ignore them, as well as those holding signs at the intersections of Hiawatha and 46th and such. As a matter of fact, I saw a guy today in a wheelchair on 46th near Hiawatha holding a sign, claiming to be a vet, rolling up and down the median. I didn't give him anything, and I don't give the others anything either because I don't know who's legit and who isn't.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM

174 posts, read 470,301 times
i've seen these beggers around a lot.....mostly in downtown, along lake st and at minnehaha park. They almost ALL have dogs, usually pit bulls. They probably keep them partially for portection, but I agree it's horrible.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:23 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,978 times
The guy who stands on the corner of Penn and/or Xerxes and the Crosstown (probably the same Armatage guy mentioned above) was in line in front of me at the gas station. I bought gas with a coupon, he bought $20 worth of lottery tickets. Even my 7-year-old thought that was odd. I've also seen him walking down Penn--the closer he gets to 62, the more he changes his appearance and demeanor. Drives me crazy. I like to help people who need it.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,077 times
You need to understand that some people will work their entire lives for a chance to take a TWO WEEK trip to somewhere amazing. They will buy a plane ticket and a hotel and see all the sights and take in the tourism. The entire trip will be comfortable and awesome in every way possible. The kids with the signs usually come from broken homes, lower-class backgrounds and as such will probably never get to see the world they want to. So they sacrifice comfort and safety for the chance to actually get to travel around. Its well documented and older than you would think. Read: Hobos, new-age travelers, Buddhists, Mohammed, Jesus Christ... Get off your high horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul