Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushigirlie View Post
yes, places do change. I now live in Manhattan and it's safe!!
You have a point. NYC used to be extremely violent. Now I think it's safer than Atlanta or LA. Yes NYC has its violent pockets, but then again, so does every big city. As for MPLS, I think it is relatively dangerous for it's region(Minnesota,ND,SD), but among major cities in the USA, I would be safer in MPLS then in Atlanta. Don't get me wrong, MPLS has crime and it is an issue and solutions to reduce the crime in MPLS are needed, but with that said, it isn't the most violent city in the USA.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:53 PM

120 posts, read 470,761 times
Default If Minneapolis is so bad....

Why don't you move back to the religous fanatics in Colorado Springs?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 13,251 times
People in Minneapolis should stop being dismissive and come to terms that there city is one of the most violent cities in America

dude please minneapolis is far from being one of the most violent cities in america homie get your facts right

Old 10-13-2007, 06:54 PM

232 posts, read 736,215 times
Default Crime, economics and education

Don't forget that most of this also has to do with your education level, how much money you have, and where you will be living. Minneapolis is generally talked about as a very clean, affluent city - which, in many ways, it is - look at how many Fortune companies are there. And you will do very well in Minneapolis - so long as you have your Masters' in something that is going to get you some good money, you have great credit so you can get one of those brand new condominiums, and have lots of money. The striking difference in Minneapolis are those who do not have those things, where they get to live, and the difference between the two.

Right now I live in my hometown of Duluth which is 160 miles north of Minneapolis, and has about 150,000 people combined with Superior. Our problem concerning crime is an influx of people with no money, no education, no interest in working, astounding criminal records and a lot of children that they have no money or ability to raise. Our severe problem that differs us from Minneapolis is that we do not have the same influx of rich people that Minneapolis has. We are getting, quite frankly, the bottom of the barrel - and the crime that comes with that. In my opinion, Minneapolis has many different angles and financial resources to tap into its crime problem if its done effectively. The problem in Minneapolis is that there are so many affluent people with their fancy college degrees and theories that give these con artists a lifetime of victimization - and feel sorry for them. The con artists and their offspring pick up on this, badmouth the elite (but have no problem taking their money) and never leave. Meanwhile, those who feel sorry for them never have to spend so much as a second living next door to them, dealing with their kids, listening to their music at 4:30 in the morning because they don't have to go to work that day, etc....

Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
a big part of that stems from the fact that Duluth has no economic opportunities there. Good luck finding a job. I remember when they spent a bunch of money to build the "technology village" off Superior Street across from the Electric Fetus. They expected to draw all sorts of businesses into the area, but its pretty much vacant other than Luce.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
a big part of that stems from the fact that Duluth has no economic opportunities there. Good luck finding a job. I remember when they spent a bunch of money to build the "technology village" off Superior Street across from the Electric Fetus. They expected to draw all sorts of businesses into the area, but its pretty much vacant other than Luce.
What Duluth needs is people who want to make something of their lives(which Atlanta is getting an influx of, and ironically, it is one of the most violent major cities in the USA. MPLS or Duluth don't come close.). The same people going to Atlanta for the dotcom industry(Earthlink is based in Atlanta), are needed in Duluth. Sadly, alot of factors go into account. One factor is the weather. Most people who have moved to the ATL from northern cities have done so mainly for warmer winters. The same goes for Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Orlando,etc. Duluth(although I do like cold weather and snow. It makes things cleaner and snow is fun to play in, so shoveling it is a small price to pay.) has very cold winters in comparison to where many people are moving to. I don't know many people who enjoy winters where temps go below 0 F all of the time and short summers(apart from me). That has something to do with it. What Duluth needs is people who don't care how cold it gets as long as they can start of business there are bring their skills with them. There are hardworking people moving to MN, the thing is that most don't go to Duluth.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,170 times
The title of this thread is so ridiculous, I can't believe that it hasn't been deleted yet, for being an outright lie.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:12 PM

98 posts, read 480,963 times
The icy River vagabond... you are right. This thread is kind of funny... wait til' they see Detroit. It makes Minneapolis looks soooooooooooooo nice.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkue View Post
The icy River vagabond... you are right. This thread is kind of funny... wait til' they see Detroit. It makes Minneapolis looks soooooooooooooo nice.

I agree. I compare MPLS to ATL and even though there is violence in MPLS, it can't compare to ATL. ATL has over 120 murders now and the year isn't over.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I agree. I compare MPLS to ATL and even though there is violence in MPLS, it can't compare to ATL. ATL has over 120 murders now and the year isn't over.
And that's ATL proper, not the metro. And ATL is only what? 480,000 people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul