Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 PM

207 posts, read 798,235 times

Advertisements

I love authentic Mexican food. It was rather hard to come by in Toronto (but I found a few places I liked) and there seems to be a lot of options here, so I just want to hear what people have to say about what is "the best". The criteria here is authenticity, so only authentic mexican food lovers need reply to this post! I'm also looking for a place that is quaint and cute, and where the food isn't excessively greasy. My significant other is visiting in two weeks and I was hoping to go out with him somewhere. We are also hoping to hit up an Indian resto, so suggestions about that are welcome as well. I hear restaurant week is coming up, but it seems that the participating restaurants are mostly the high profile ones in the downtown area, although perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps that isn't the best guide to good food in the Twin Cities.

And while I'm at it, I am also VERY curious about whether there are good authentic German/Bavarian or perhaps "Scandinavian" restaurants?? Again, German/Austrain food/baked goods was hard to come by in Toronto because for some reason the Toronto German community left for a nearby suburb some time ago. There was once an amazing Austrian dessert establishment that I used to visit sometimes with my dad but sadly they closed up shop last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 PM

66 posts, read 248,682 times
Boca Chica in St. Paul is one of the best.

Boca Chica Mexican Restaurant - Minneapolis/St. Paul's historic family owned Mexican restaurant

Old 09-19-2009, 02:09 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel_009 View Post
And while I'm at it, I am also VERY curious about whether there are good authentic German/Bavarian or perhaps "Scandinavian" restaurants?? Again, German/Austrain food/baked goods was hard to come by in Toronto because for some reason the Toronto German community left for a nearby suburb some time ago. There was once an amazing Austrian dessert establishment that I used to visit sometimes with my dad but sadly they closed up shop last year.
Try either The Black Forest Inn or Gasthof zur Gemutlichkeit & Mario's Keller Bar.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:07 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,182 times
Quote:
I love authentic Mexican food. It was rather hard to come by in Toronto (but I found a few places I liked) and there seems to be a lot of options here, so I just want to hear what people have to say about what is "the best". The criteria here is authenticity, so only authentic mexican food lovers need reply to this post! I'm also looking for a place that is quaint and cute, and where the food isn't excessively greasy. My significant other is visiting in two weeks and I was hoping to go out with him somewhere. We are also hoping to hit up an Indian resto, so suggestions about that are welcome as well. I hear restaurant week is coming up, but it seems that the participating restaurants are mostly the high profile ones in the downtown area, although perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps that isn't the best guide to good food in the Twin Cities.
There are TONS of excellent ethnic restaurants in the Twin Cities. Try Eat Street on Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis for starters. Also, high profile places are not the places to go to . Those are overpriced. Best Mexican place that I can think of is El Paraiso Mexican Restaurant, 3501 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. The place is a converted 7-11. Looks like a dive, but the food is out of this world good. Cheap and very good. Full of Mexicans eating there too.
[/SIZE]

Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 AM

292 posts, read 891,104 times
A couple that my wife and I like are
Welcome to our family of Restaurants - Salsa A La Salsa, A La Salsa, and a la Catering - Minneapolis, MN -some of the best chili rellenos around

Dominguez Family Restaurant 3313 E 50th St. Minneapolis, MN 55417 -great tacos

Taqueria Los Ocampo 920 E. Lake St. Minneapolis -really good basic Mexican food

Also if you're a little adventurous just walk in to any of restaurants on E. Lake and give them a try most of the time the food is good and every once in awhile you'll luck out and find a gem.

Oh I also second El Paraiso Mexican Restaurant go on Sundays for the live Mariachi Bands.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far. I'm so excited to try some of these places out!!

Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Do you have any particular favorite types of Mexican food you're looking for?

I know you live in Uptown; unfortunately the one biggest, most obvious (to me, anyway) missing food option in that neighborhood is Mexican. Luckily it just takes one quick bus ride to head east on Lake. Still, it would be nice if some new options would open up a bit closer.

One comment about the Scandinavian restaurant request: strangely enough, the Twin Cities don't have much (any?) of a Scandinavian restaurant culture. A Minneapolis branch of the NYC-based Aquavit restaurant was open for a few years. Taste of Scandinavia has some options (it's a bakery and cafe); I think they have a couple of locations out in the suburbs now. Or there's IKEA. For old-school Scandinavian food, though, you can buy stuff to eat at home at Ingebretsen's on E. Lake, or even buy some Scandinavian stuff (lefse and gjetost, a type of cheese) at the regular grocery stores. If you're really adventurous you can get lutefisk (only seasonally, and check first to make sure they have it) at Pearson's in the 50th and France area.

You didn't specifically mention it, but if you want El Salvadoran there's a new pupusería on East Lake called El Centro; haven't been there myself, but I've heard good things.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:39 PM

88 posts, read 301,293 times
As for St. Paul, the West Side has some pretty good options. The area around Robert St. and Caesar Chavez is a great place to just walk around and explore. The aforementioned Boca Chica is good, along with La Fonda and El Burrito Mercado. All of these are very reasonably priced.

Some other resources you might find helpful for finding restaurants/bars/stuff to do in the Twin Cities:

Heavy Table
City Pages (also available in print)
Yelp

Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,182 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far. I'm so excited to try some of these places out!!
If you do try El Paraiso and go with about 4 people, I would suggest trying the big platter of seafood or meats. The platters are about $45, however they are huge and easily feed about 6 people. Combination of different types of seafood / meats. Very tasty!! Just order some sides of rice / beans and you will have a feast.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Hmmmm, the only type I know is authentic. In Toronto there wasn't enough variety to develop any knowledge of subtypes. Enlighten me! I like pozole and even though I know I should try new things, I always go for tacos bistek and al pastor, and Chicken Mole...these things just make me happy. Like comfort food. That said, even though these aren't original choices, the quality varies greatly, depending on where you go. Actually, the best pozole I had was at a total hole in the wall place in Toronto called Mexitaco. The flavour was outstanding. There was another place in Toronto that had wonderful soups on the menu (tortilla soup, coriander soup, black bean soup) and would serve them with various condiments in tiny little dishes (pork rind, queso fresco, cilantro, cactus, avocado, etc). I also strongly prefer corn tortillas and also fresh tortilla chips rather than out of the bag.

Taste of Scandanaivia sounds good. I may check it out. I'm also wondering if there are any Austrian/Viennese pastry/cake shops. I will very likely be going to the Black Forest Inn within the month!!

Not sure if I'm adventurous enough to try Lutefisk. What's it like??

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Do you have any particular favorite types of Mexican food you're looking for?

I know you live in Uptown; unfortunately the one biggest, most obvious (to me, anyway) missing food option in that neighborhood is Mexican. Luckily it just takes one quick bus ride to head east on Lake. Still, it would be nice if some new options would open up a bit closer.

One comment about the Scandinavian restaurant request: strangely enough, the Twin Cities don't have much (any?) of a Scandinavian restaurant culture. A Minneapolis branch of the NYC-based Aquavit restaurant was open for a few years. Taste of Scandinavia has some options (it's a bakery and cafe); I think they have a couple of locations out in the suburbs now. Or there's IKEA. For old-school Scandinavian food, though, you can buy stuff to eat at home at Ingebretsen's on E. Lake, or even buy some Scandinavian stuff (lefse and gjetost, a type of cheese) at the regular grocery stores. If you're really adventurous you can get lutefisk (only seasonally, and check first to make sure they have it) at Pearson's in the 50th and France area.

You didn't specifically mention it, but if you want El Salvadoran there's a new pupusería on East Lake called El Centro; haven't been there myself, but I've heard good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul