Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM

297 posts, read 841,570 times

Advertisements

Burtsbees - the fact remains that until you find yourself ALWAYS the minority (I don't mean one afternoon or one event) you will NEVER understand.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 AM

443 posts, read 2,134,942 times
I have lived in several states and I think Minneapolis is one of the most diversed cities. But hey, I guess move where you'll be happy. Life is to short.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Wait a second. Do black churches worship a different god than the rest of us? Does only black food digest in black bodies? Do nightclubs have a sign that says "No blacks"?

If the answer is no, then whats the problem?
Many black people are lactose intolerant as are Asians. You can't even imagine how hard it is to get soy milk for kids at a restaurant. Definitely not Asian friendly.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:05 PM

117 posts, read 377,479 times
I can understand a lack of theater and performing arts that feature African American performers in MN. Museum exhibits that cater to the "black" experience or African culture would be nice. (RACE was a great exhibit) But I think the point is that there are not as many African American professionals here. I am white(German) and my wife is black, we love living here overall. I heard somewhere that outside of the West Coast and Hawaii, the Twin Cities had the highest percentage of multicultural children in the USA. I am fairly certain that my review of Census data supports this. We just had a son and think this is a good place to raise our family. We have discussed California as well, but more than likely will stay here until we retire.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
As Whites become a minority in Cities all over America, can they say with out being Politically incorrect, " I want to move to a city with more White people so I can experience more White music, White Churches, White Food and White Nightclubs?"
This paragraph is a good example of white privilege at work. I grew up as one of a few Asian faces in Raleigh, N.C., and it's a fundamentally different perspective than always being safely in the majority. (Even in Chinatown, I'm a minority as an Anglophone.) Whites have the privilege of rarely having to think about how their race figures into social situations, a luxury that those of us who've always lived in the minority have never had.

Oh, and yes, in fact, white people do pick up and move to whiter places. The thing is, they don't say "whiter," they say "safer," and 40 years ago entire neighborhoods of Chicago would "flip" from all-white to all-black in a matter of months. Today, people leave L.A., S.F., Miami, Cleveland, and Atlanta for Phoenix, Denver, Tampa, Columbus, and Charlotte. It's not about black people or class, either: Miamians sell out to wealthy Colombians and San Franciscans leave behind wealthy Chinese ("the schools are too competitive," they plead), but it's exactly the same deal.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
It seems as though to be black in the midwest, you need to adhere to certain criteria to retain your blackness. Going to theater and playing soccer (Somali's and Ethiopian's aside-then again, let alone getting along with them) seem a little too white.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Excellent Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
This paragraph is a good example of white privilege at work. I grew up as one of a few Asian faces in Raleigh, N.C., and it's a fundamentally different perspective than always being safely in the majority. (Even in Chinatown, I'm a minority as an Anglophone.) Whites have the privilege of rarely having to think about how their race figures into social situations, a luxury that those of us who've always lived in the minority have never had.

Oh, and yes, in fact, white people do pick up and move to whiter places. The thing is, they don't say "whiter," they say "safer," and 40 years ago entire neighborhoods of Chicago would "flip" from all-white to all-black in a matter of months. Today, people leave L.A., S.F., Miami, Cleveland, and Atlanta for Phoenix, Denver, Tampa, Columbus, and Charlotte. It's not about black people or class, either: Miamians sell out to wealthy Colombians and San Franciscans leave behind wealthy Chinese ("the schools are too competitive," they plead), but it's exactly the same deal.

Especially: Whites have the privilege to rarely think about how their race figures in. This is why I say - most white people will NEVER GET IT. And, we see ALL the time on this board, when someone asks about a neighborhood, if it's Black, Oh no! don't live there. It's horrible. If it's Hispanic, same thing. It's sad

Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

Let's be fair now. If a neighborhood experiences an uptick in crime and its schools become more chaotic because more behaviorally challenged kids start attending them, there is nothing racist about wanting to move to a safer, more peaceful community. The fact that the neighborhood may be experiencing an influx of people of another race is beside the point.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Default That's a cop out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Let's be fair now. If a neighborhood experiences an uptick in crime and its schools become more chaotic because more behaviorally challenged kids start attending them, there is nothing racist about wanting to move to a safer, more peaceful community. The fact that the neighborhood may be experiencing an influx of people of another race is beside the point.
it's not tied to increase in crime! It's tied to an increase in racial/ethnic group and then PERCEIVED that there will be more crime. let's get out!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
it's not tied to increase in crime! It's tied to an increase in racial/ethnic group and then PERCEIVED that there will be more crime. let's get out!
What's not tied to an increase crime? I don't understand your response. Are you saying neighborhood crime rates never change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul