U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 PM

159 posts, read 370,417 times

Advertisements

I'm likely moving to the Twin Cities from Seattle in January, and I've been looking into apartments in the area. I've come across quite a few landlords who allow cats, but only if they're declawed. As there is no way in hell I'm declawing my cats, I obviously can't rent from these landlords.

Is this common? I know I'll be able to find a place to live, but I don't like having my options limited simply because I'm not willing to declaw my cats (I am aware that my options are limited just because I have cats at all).
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:49 PM

761 posts, read 2,076,032 times
I'm sure they just don't want to risk the damage that could come from clawed cats.

I think it makes sense to me as I have a rental property myself. We can't have pets in the building though due to the rules and regulations of the building, but if I could I don't think i would chance having clawed cats either.

Good Luck!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 PM

4,268 posts, read 7,413,961 times
I lived there for 10 years and I NEVER found any rental place that didn't demand declawed cats. I don't know what is it about Twin Cities apartment rentals but when I moved to Colorado and told landlords about this practice, they were horrified as they were smart enough to realise that not all cats cause damage and you can train a cat not to scratch at the carpet or furniture.

You may find a private landlord to rent from but you may also have to pay an increased deposit or even pet rent to compensate. Have you tried Craigslist for possible rentals?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:12 PM

456 posts, read 792,381 times
Weird! I have never heard of this. I had a cat (with claws) when I rented in Minneapolis and had no problem finding a place. I only looked at privately-owned duplexes, not large buildings or management company places.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:49 PM

273 posts, read 482,323 times
Don't tell them that your cat has claws. Problem solved. Of all the times that I've rented I can't remember once that my landlord actually came in contact with my cats. If your cats are anything like mine the minute a stranger, repairman, landlord, whatever comes in to my house my cats disappear. Just make sure to have a scratch post or something so they don't rip up a door or a corner or something.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 PM

159 posts, read 370,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
I'm sure they just don't want to risk the damage that could come from clawed cats.
Maybe I've just always had good cats, but I don't even know what kind of damage they'd cause. They scratch the carpet when they stretch, but you'd never be able to tell; there's worse wear and tear from me walking around on the floor. It seems to me the worse kind of damage a cat could do is throw up and leave stains or not use the litter box.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,912,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
Maybe I've just always had good cats, but I don't even know what kind of damage they'd cause. They scratch the carpet when they stretch, but you'd never be able to tell; there's worse wear and tear from me walking around on the floor. It seems to me the worse kind of damage a cat could do is throw up and leave stains or not use the litter box.
My friends cats found the seam in the carpet to do their stretching and started pulling the threads out until there was a huge bare spot. He definitely didn't get his deposit back and it probably made the building owner dislike clawed cats more.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 PM

230 posts, read 382,036 times
I haven't rented in a very long time but when I did - with cats - it was hard to find any where that would take cats at all. The first two places I rented with cats - with claws - ended up with claw related damage. One was as described above - found a seam in the carpet and tore it up. It was pretty crappy carpet to start with but it was quite a bit worse after my cats got done with it. The next place they scratched on the frame of the door - when we weren't home - disturbed about our absence I guess. I didn't notice until right before we were going to move out - had to sand it and restain it. I've had declawed cats ever since then - typically strays or shelter cats. I pick the declawed ones because I prefer no front claws and I figure they're safer with me because my cats NEVER go outside.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 AM

2,654 posts, read 3,664,131 times
hork hork, call landlord.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM

138 posts, read 234,536 times
Last time I rented, they collected a separate pet deposit. Perhaps they would consider that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul