Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Thanks for all the help, it is very much appreciated. When you say a neighborhood in Minneapolis, does that include such areas as Bloomington, Richfield, and Edina, or are you talking about closer in than that? And are any of the suburbs south of St. Paul worth talking a look at, or is the combination of distance and airport noise going to be an issue. Many thanks again.
I was saying a neighborhood actually in the cities of Minneapolis or St. Paul, but you may well find what you want somewhere like Bloomington. Still, there are very nice neighborhoods with great public schools within scity limits, so no need to limit yourself artificially if you visit, say, Linden Hills and fall in love with the place.

Bloomington would be very convenient, and is less conservative than Burnsville, and certainly far less conservative than somewhere like Lakeville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Thank you so much for the information so far. I truly understand everyone has differing opinions on each burb, that's what makes all this information so valuable. We are moving from the burbs of Atlanta, and although Atlanta is very diverse, it is not at all truly integrated, and for the most part the burbs are very conservative. We are a very socially and politically progressive family, but are absolutely in the minority down here in that regard. That's not to say we are not tolerant, we are. We are not your stereotypical yuppy family, we are most definitely not into the competitive parent thing, and our house is a home, not a showcase, and we believe in really being part of a community not just a resident. My husband's job would be in Burnsville. He currently commutes about 45 mins each way, and we would prefer to reduce that so he could participate in the kids activities, but a lot really depends on what each neighborhood has to offer. We have lived in Atlanta, New Orleans, London, and Cape Town, so I imagine the safety Minneapolis has to offer in even it's roughest areas is pretty good in comparison to some of the places we have lived.

I would have to say schools and the surrounding community are going to be paramount, along with a reasonable commute.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Going back to the political discussion, Bloomington is actually part of the state's 3rd congressional district which is currently represented by a Republican, Erik Paulsen, although he only won the election with 48% of the vote. Generally in the Twin Cities Minneapolis and St. Paul proper are very liberal and the further you go out into the suburbs and then the exurbs it gets more and more conservative. Once you get out to areas like Prior Lake and Lakeville it is very conservative, probably to the point where your preference would come into play.

It is extremely liberal where I live. I'm trying to decide who to vote for in the city council race for my ward, it's a race between the incumbent Democrat, a guy from the Green party and an independant...the Republican party doesn't even have a candidate in the election. I looked at the makeup of the current Minneapolis city council and there isn't a single Republican council member, they are all Democrats with one member who is with the Green Party.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Yeah, in Minneapolis it can get frustrating because it's really a one-party system, which puts far too much weight on the endorsement process, meaning that city elections basically get decided by a small group of active DFL members. Not to get too off-topic, but given that it's Election Day it does seem all-too-appropriate.

I don't think political leanings would be an issue somewhere like Bloomington, but I agree that they could make a difference if you're out somewhere like Lakeville. Kline is no moderate Republican, and he didn't just squeak by with a win.

I realize that google map driving times don't always match up with reality, but just put in some numbers to see how long it would take to get from the Macalester-Groveland area of St. Paul to Burnsville; it came up with 22 minutes. Somewhere like that might be of interest. It's a university neighborhood, lots of involved neighborhood members, families, and very liberal. It is, to say the least, a community that cares about education (and is convenient to outdoor activities, too). Mac-Groveland neighborhood website: http://www.macgrove.org/

Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,042 times
Bloomington still feels liberal enough, and since its the opposing flow of traffic if you live in Burnsville the commute would be simple. I personally wouldnt put it high on a list of places to live being that I work in the northern suburbs area...but for what its worth its an easy middle ground between Burnsville and the city proper without feeling too cookie cutter. I have family members that live there and love it.

As far as it having "not too nice" areas, thats essentially based on asthetics. Older houses in east bloomington vs newer houses in west bloomington. Neither is high crime or dangerous.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all this information. I have my homework cut out for me.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
My experience is that I grew up in Minneapolis, went to Jr. HI in Richfield and moved to Burnsville for my high school years when it was a young suburb, and moved back to Minneapolis after HS. I lived in Richfield the majority of my daughters' high school years and now live back in Burnsville (SW). My daughter lives in Savage and my two grandsons go to Burnsville High School.
So, what do I think? I'm not qualified to speak on the quality of the schools and besides, things have changed a great deal since I had a child in school.
Apple Valley, Eagan, Burnsville, Prior Lake, etc. are all just typical suburbs with a few differences. Eagan is close the airport and therefore get the noise, although we get some of it now too. Prior Lake is VERY conservative... oh did I mention we lived in Prior Lake for 5 years as empty nesters? Lakeville, Rosemount, big look alike houses with manicured lawns and Apple Valley, just an older version.
If you're still considering the suburbs, There's nothing wrong with Burnsville or Savage. Burnsville's getting a little old, but still holding. Burnsville has more to offer now than ever. If you want to be in a little newer suburb, Savage is right next door to Burnsville. West Bloomington might be a very good location for all of you, but skip Richfield. It really has deteriorated.
When considering city living don't limit your thoughts to just Minneapolis. St. Paul is a great city with wonderful people. It is old and historic with a down to earth feel. Minneapolis is newer, younger, hipper. There are great colleges and university in St. Paul and I like the atmosphere of that. If your husband really doesn't mind a commute, try Northfield. I know some people will scoff at that idea, but really it's not that bad of a drive and it's a GREAT town.
We've made all of the above considerations because at close to retirement age, I now realize how much I've missed by not being in the city. Right now it's between Northfield and Key West! lol

Last edited by Blues Traveler; 10-08-2010 at 04:23 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 07:45 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
The real issue this year is not "are you liberal or conservative?", rather "are you sane or crazy?" There may be some overlap, but both parties have put up examples of incredible stupidity and reality disconnect lately. My recommendation - vote sane!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 AM

391 posts, read 659,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I realize that google map driving times don't always match up with reality, but just put in some numbers to see how long it would take to get from the Macalester-Groveland area of St. Paul to Burnsville; it came up with 22 minutes. Somewhere like that might be of interest. It's a university neighborhood, lots of involved neighborhood members, families, and very liberal. It is, to say the least, a community that cares about education (and is convenient to outdoor activities, too). Mac-Groveland neighborhood website: Macalester Groveland Community Council
Mac-Groveland is one of the nicest areas of St. Paul, especially if you like older homes. Highland Park is nice too. Those two areas pretty much make up the southwest corner of the city, with S. Minneapolis right across the river.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:07 PM

39 posts, read 128,449 times
I live in the southwest metro and work in the southeast metro. I like to wave at all the stopped cars on I-35 as I pass underneath it. Joking aside, it all depends on what you are looking for. I much prefer the south metro, it has a smaller-town feel. On the other hand, if I bought again I would look at some of the St. Paul neighborhoods. Sometimes that 25 minute drive to SP or Mpls seems long.

Good luck! It took us a long time to pick a place when we moved and we are happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul