U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 PM

1,974 posts, read 3,165,165 times
Default What is the difference between St. Paul and Minneapolis?

I'm sure I am not the first to ask this question on this web site, but what is the difference. I've never been to neither. What are the pros and cons of each, what is the history (what is each city known for), and how far away from each other are they, and is there compitition between the two? Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 04:15 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,215,249 times
There really isn't all that much difference between the two. Minneapolis has more high rise office buildings, St. Paul has a more old town feel. They border each other so there isn't any distance between them but if you want to measure the heart of each downtown it is about 5 miles.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 8,138,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There really isn't all that much difference between the two. Minneapolis has more high rise office buildings, St. Paul has a more old town feel. They border each other so there isn't any distance between them but if you want to measure the heart of each downtown it is about 5 miles.
If you're talking the distance between the heart of the two downtowns it's closer to 10 miles, but judging on your commute estimates of the southern suburbs into downtown Minneapolis I guess your 5 mile figure makes sense.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 11-21-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 PM

5,231 posts, read 8,987,410 times
I'll take a shot at answering the second part of your question. The two cities have very different histories and settlement patterns. St. Paul is older, and was the larger twin until about 100 years ago when Mpls surpassed St Paul in population. SP started as a supply center/trading post just downstream from Fort Snelling (built upon completion of the Louisiana Purchase) and was originally settled by French Canadians, followed by Irish and later Germans. It developed into a transportation center during the steamboat era and later the railroad era. Mpls. developed as New Englanders built flour mills at the St. Anthony Falls, upriver from St Paul. Wheat was brought in from the Dakotas and Western MN. The immigrants who came to work in the mills were largely Scandanavians. St Paul's economy stagnated during the Depression and never really took off much after it., whereas Mpls's economy has been vibrant since WWII. St Paul is more sedate, with old ethnic neighborhoods, while much of Mpls was more homogenous in nature, but more vibrant in nightlife and entertainment. St. Paul has traditionally been a Catholic city, Mpls. was traditionally largely protestant. Both have well-established Jewish communities. St Paul's politics were pretty corrupt in the 1920s, Mpls. were that way in the 1940s. Today, both are relatively clean. Mpls. has a large Native American population, St Paul has had a long-established Mexican population. The newest immigrants tend to go to Mpls if they are from Africa; to St Paul if they are from Asia. I live in St Paul, but like both cities very much.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:32 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,212,122 times
St. Paul = Blue collar, older, more traditional, deep Catholic roots, many families there for generations, old neighborhoods

Minneapolis = Newer, Yuppier, More Profesional Oriented, Liberal, Vibrant Nightlife, Taller Buildings, Lot's of "outsiders" from elsewhere

St. Paulites don't like being overshadowed by Minneapolis; Minneapolitans could care less about St. Paul.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM

174 posts, read 264,213 times
I've got to be honest, i'm a "YP" living/working in So Mpls and I find my self spending a lot of free itme in STP. I like the older architecture and the more established neighborhoods I guess. I would live there if i worked on that side of the metro or the LRT was operational.

To each his own.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,204,722 times
Here's what I think, and granted, I'm new to the Twin Cities:

Minneapolis:
-gentrified
-progressive
-dirtier
-younger
-hip
-busier

Saint Paul:
-older
-refined
-"hippy-ish"
-greener
-quieter
-calm

I have sort of discovered that Saint Paul tries to be like Portland, OR in a lot of ways. A lot of people claiming to be "green" and "cultured" while in reality they have never left Minnesota. Minneapolis is full of people that are not from Minneapolis, however they are all from neighboring states and cities and they come to Minneapolis to play "big city" for a little bit then move to Plymouth or Woodbury once their first kid pops out. That's just what I've seen so far anyway.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:44 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,215,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post

Minneapolis:
-gentrified
-progressive
-dirtier
-younger
-hip
-busier

Saint Paul:
-older
-refined
-"hippy-ish"
-greener
-quieter
-calm

I have sort of discovered that Saint Paul tries to be like Portland, OR in a lot of ways. A lot of people claiming to be "green" and "cultured" while in reality they have never left Minnesota. Minneapolis is full of people that are not from Minneapolis, however they are all from neighboring states and cities and they come to Minneapolis to play "big city" for a little bit then move to Plymouth or Woodbury once their first kid pops out. That's just what I've seen so far anyway.
No, no one in Minnesota has ever left the state. We have that big old airport for show . You do realize that some of the top companies for green products/production/building are in Minnesota, right?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 AM

174 posts, read 264,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post

Minneapolis:
-gentrified
-progressive
-dirtier
-younger
-hip
-busier

Saint Paul:
-older
-refined
-"hippy-ish"
-greener
-quieter
-calm

I recently moved here and I feel very similarly. In fact, I think you hit it right on the head. Mpls is definitely younger and dirtier, although you would think with gentrification it'd be a little cleaner. St Paul definitely takes on the anti-mlps in that it seems to have a less "corporate" vibe and more hippy/green.

Maybe the best way to put it is that mpls is "hipster" and st paul is more "hippy".

I also completely agree with your take on people coming to play big city and leaving for the burbs. In fact, i don't work with anyone who lives in the city of minneapolis other than myself.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:51 AM

3,940 posts, read 9,204,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, no one in Minnesota has ever left the state. We have that big old airport for show . You do realize that some of the top companies for green products/production/building are in Minnesota, right?
I never said Minnesotans don't leave Minnesota. I said that many people whom I've met in Saint Paul act cultured and worldly when in fact they have never lived anywhere else. And that airport does have a purpose -connecting flights between Los Angeles and New York City. Just kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul