Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times

Advertisements

Not a huge surprise, but from an economic point of view, we may not be able to support all four major pro sports here:

Study: Twin Cities overextended for sports - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Not a huge surprise, but from an economic point of view, we may not be able to support all four major pro sports here:

Study: Twin Cities overextended for sports - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal:
I don't think those number mean a whole lot though. It doesn't put into consideration how many Vikings fans there are in the greater state of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, etc.

Yes, Los Angeles could financially support 5 NFL franchises but what it doesn't mention is the fact that the majority of people in Southern Calfornia don't give a crap about football...you have to have fans for a pro team to work.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Twin Cities have the second smallest population of any city with all four pro sports. Only Denver is smaller (and they have a pro soccer team too).

Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
I'm not too surprised either as we are one of the smallest markets to have all four sports. However, I do think that one factor which is apparently not addressed in their study is the number of corporate HQ's in our metro. While Personal income is an important factor, corporate dollars also buy lots of box seats and season tickets. Our corporate base has probably helped us support more than our fair share of sports (not to mention arts and other cultural events).

Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM

35 posts, read 120,415 times
not too big of an issue here. only a few thousand people care about the T-Wolves right now and the state is showing the Vikings the door.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
If the Timberwoles leave, let the Viking's play there.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If the Timberwoles leave, let the Viking's play there.
Is this assuming that the Arena Football league comes back and the Vikings join it?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Well there goes our great stadium debate!

Oh well, MN professional sports are a joke... A city (Twin Cities) with 4 major pro teams and a BigTen School, and they are all laughable.....

2 Championships since the 1950s that includes 2 different NBA teams, 2 different NHL teams, 40 + years of MLB and NFL.... 2 championships?

Think of Cities like Boston- Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots all have won championships in the past 5 years.

Think of Chicago- The White Sox won a few years ago, and the Bears at least went to a SuperBowl...Do we have to mention the 1990s and the Bulls?

LA- Check, and Check.

Miami?- Marlins and Heat have won in the past 5 years.. Even Tampa has had championship teams recently.

Cleveland? At least the Indians were successful in the 1990s

Wisconsin? At least GB has won a superbowl recently.

Indianapolis?- Colts, Superbowl

Georgia?- Falcons in 1998 IN the SB, and Braves have been to Championships...

Arizona? Cardinals went to SB last year, Diamondbacks went and won in 2001.

Texas? Do I mention the success of San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets?

Pennsylvania? Pittsburgh Football, Philadelphia Phillies!

Bottom line is, if you're in a large market, you probably have at least witnessed a Championship-As have TC, but youre probably more likely to have had seen one more recently than 1991~ EVEN if the pro teams haven't done anything, at least you could count on a major college brining in a championship or appearance(Gopher Hockey doenst count, as it's mearly a blip on the national scale)

Twin Cities are a joke when it comes to sports...The sad thing is that we are actually pretty good fans, just imagine if we had some Championships, or AT LEAST sOME appearances!

4 Vikings Superbowl Apperances, 3 World Series Apperances, 1 Stanley Cup Apperance, 1 final four appearance...9 major championship chances since 1950s? and 2 rings? Great!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:57 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't think those number mean a whole lot though. It doesn't put into consideration how many Vikings fans there are in the greater state of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, etc.

Yes, Los Angeles could financially support 5 NFL franchises but what it doesn't mention is the fact that the majority of people in Southern Calfornia don't give a crap about football...you have to have fans for a pro team to work.

I agree. That doesn't take in effect that almost all of ND and SD and eastern MT and even Northern IA (some are bears fans) is Vikings land...It also probably doens't include southern Ontario or Manitoba...I'm sure there are Winnipeg residents that care a lot more about the Vikes than whatever their crap CFL team is.

Twins Territory stretches all over the state (and even into Western Wisconsin, ND and SD)...I'm not saying ALL ND and SD residents ARE MN sports fans, I'm sure that many of them do pull for MN teams though...

I'm tired of the LA talk too...3 teams have FAILED there...Doesn't anyone see that NFL isn't a big deal in LA.. They have USC football....

Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,786 times
I don't put too much stock in studies released by the Business Journal being they are never in-depth. Did they even take into consideration that our sports teams are also supported by people in outstate Minnesota, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Manitoba, and Ontario?

I'm actually surprised this rag is still in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul