U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,198 times
Default Roseville...what do you think?

I'm curious about Roseville, MN. Looks good on paper, but not sure what the local point of view is? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 11:12 PM

109 posts, read 189,148 times
I am 25 years old and have lived here all my life, except for the 5 semesters I lived on campus at college. It really depends on what you are going for. For most people my age, the city doesnt have as much to offer. The homes here were mostly built in the 60s and 70s and typically go for around $200k for an average lot. For people with less income, theres a decent number of apartment units available for rent. A lot of families seem to be drawn to this city as well as many retired people. There are a lot of nursing homes. There are also a lot of regional destinations that take up a lot of surface area in the city such as Rosedale Mall, other large retail centers, golf courses, cemeteries, the John Rose Oval, Central Park, Resevoir Woods Park, Northwestern College, and large heavy-industrial companies.

The school system is good (if you have kids), the crime rate is low, and the city has pretty good access to the freeway system (centrally located). There are lots of chain restaurants and a nice movie theatre. You can buy just about anything in this city, and the only kind of store we dont have is something like Fleet Farm. The plowing and street maintenance seems to be above par. The police seem to be doing their job. The park system is pretty and expansive and has some good walking trails. The city can be very quiet and peaceful when people are not driving to work or running errands in the city.

There isn't a lot of entertainment in Roseville. Many people who live in Roseville will travel to Minneapolis to for shows, concerts, nightlife, fine dining, sight-seeing, etc. It is relatively tough to navigate the city without a car as most things are quite spread out and "regionalized", the few roads that actually go places are busy and lack sidewalks, and public transportation really only serves the very southern-most portion of the city on a frequent basis. The lack of age diversity in the city is apparent. The lack of racial diversity is also noticable. Most people in the city are caucasian, however there has been some growth in Roseville's ethnic diversity in the more recent years. There doesnt appear to be as much civic involvement or pride among citizens. While the city has a lot of stores, most of them are chain stores and there aren't as many unique types of shops you'd find in a more urban environment. While Roseville is an inner-ring suburb, it feels more like an outer-ring suburb.

I choose to live here because it is very close on to my job, my friends, and I am living with my parents (cheap rent). Eventually I will probably live somewhere else as I would like to be in an environment with more people my age, somewhere that is more walkable/bikeable, more things to do, and somewhere with cheaper housing. If I didnt live with my family, I probably wouldnt live here as I couldn't justify paying the typical cost of rent in this city. But then again, I am 25, trying to save up money, and don't have a family.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,198 times
Thanks, that is a big help. We are in our late 20's early 30's and starting a family soon. Due to obligations, we'll be in our current location until Fall of 2011, but are thinking of relocating to the area. My wife grew up in South Dakota and can't say enough good things about the Twin Cities.

You mentioned there isn't a lot of age diversity. Besides Senior Citizens, what do you think the age make up of the area is?

Thanks again and any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,198,501 times
When I think of Roseville, the first thing that comes into mind is the Rosedale mall (the mall and the cluster of shops and restaurants on the other side of county B2). It is very successful. The Macy's there is the only one which opens 24 hours before Christmas in the Twin Cities. Rosedale Macy‚€™s to stay open overnight - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal: There are only a dozen Macy's stores in the nation that do that, according to the article. The AMC Rosedale theater is also the first AMC theater in the twin cities that gets an IMAX screen. It is certainly not the typical Twin Cities suburb. Many people from other places (including the cities) go there for shopping, movies, etc. However, it is also spread out and car oriented, and doesn't really have anything high end, like one of a kind fine dining, shows, etc. The annual Minnesota State Fair is close though. I feel that generally the customers downtown Minneapolis has lost have come to the Rosedale area, but Rosedale doesn't aim to bring in downtown type of businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfuture View Post
I'm curious about Roseville, MN. Looks good on paper, but not sure what the local point of view is? Please help!

Last edited by fashionguy; 12-29-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 04:09 AM

984 posts, read 963,944 times
Quote:
From what I remember, it's just another suburb. Try Stillwater.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,211,851 times
Quote:
You mentioned there isn't a lot of age diversity. Besides Senior Citizens, what do you think the age make up of the area is?
Pretty much your age. Lots of families move there right before their kids start school, or with kids in grade school. A lot of people move out after their kids graduate, a lot of people stay. A very typical suburb with a very good location; easy to get to both downtowns. Lots of shopping at Rosedale which is easily the best mall in the north metro. There's also Har-Mal mall wherre the very first Target in the country was located, as well as a large strip of stores and restaurants along Snelling Avenue where the very first Best Buy was started. While I wouldn't say the schools are the BEST in the Twin Cities, they are still pretty dang good and can give a great education. The sports at the high school are pretty average.

Stillwater and White Bear are also very good and similar although further out. (Especially Stillwater) But both of those towns have very nice downtowns and more of a "small-town, community" feel.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 PM

226 posts, read 346,672 times
Everything above seems about right to me. One of the best things about it in my opinion is that it's a great central location for working in either Minneapolis or St. Paul. It is a run of the mill older suburb with the added benefit of having a major, decent shopping center - lots of convenient shopping options.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 PM

3,835 posts, read 1,738,617 times
I'm pretty happy with Roseville. The location can't be beat. It's definitely a post-war suburb, in that it's similar to most suburbs developed before about 1980...it does not have a faux-downtown. That mentality has come back recently in suburbs with their lifestyle centers and the like. The Twin Lakes development at I-35W and County Road C might be aiming for something of that nature, but its completion is still a few years off. (What I find hilarious is that Eden Prairie wants to develop a "downtown." To me it's the quintessential car suburb.)

There is a lot of retail, which in theory helps hold property taxes down, but mine are still kind of high. Evidently developers are still betting on Roseville because stuff still gets built and opened. Smashburger recently opened and it's great. However, it is not an upscale suburb like Edina, Eden Prairie, or Maple Grove. It's definitely middle class and more established. My neighbor across the street has lived there since 1972.

On the other hand, we didn't want the 45-minute (in GOOD weather) commute that the SW suburbs would force. Roseville is mostly older homes, though there are pockets of newer stuff (ours is from the late-70s).

I should also mention that the plowing during this last storm has been outstanding.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:41 PM

109 posts, read 189,148 times
Quote:
Thanks, that is a big help. We are in our late 20's early 30's and starting a family soon. Due to obligations, we'll be in our current location until Fall of 2011, but are thinking of relocating to the area. My wife grew up in South Dakota and can't say enough good things about the Twin Cities.

Thanks again and any other input would be greatly appreciated.

It is difficult to find people under the age of 30 who live in Roseville. There are a lot of families that have parents who are in their 40s and 50s.

You are welcome.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 PM

107 posts, read 285,249 times
I'm 25 and own in Roseville. It's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul