U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM

5,531 posts, read 6,071,688 times

Advertisements

no, unless you tell somebody who carries a weapon that their monther is an astronaut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,641,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm45 View Post
i will be traveling to north M/SP...If i am going for training in Brooklyn Park, as a single white woman,
will i be in danger going to and from my hotel/restaurants?

thanks
mm
I don't think there's anyplace in the Twin Cities where you'd be "in danger" during the daytime, unless you wanted to wear very little and wander around the alleys at night ... that might generate an unwanted response.

I live roughly five miles from Bankhead, a somewhat in infamous area in western Atlanta, and even though that area is slowly improving with Bandhead Courts gone, etc., the Twin Cities has nothing even remotely comparable. That's a good thing.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,920,350 times
There will be FAR more danger in getting in a car accident than being a victim of crime, if that's what you mean.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM

3,738 posts, read 5,071,077 times
North Minneapolis.

It's so grimey and bad there. It's full of black people. It's the worst part of the Twin Cities. Dont ever go there. don't go there at night especially.

I'm being sarcastic... That's what people are probably sayin

Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM

25 posts, read 27,330 times
My first few impressions from my visit to Minneapolis:
I took the light rail from the airport to Franklin Ave. It was alright, there were quite a few riders and it was all good and quiet until I got off at Franklin where I had to take bus #2.
There were a couple of gangster look alikes at the stop, one of whom kept loudly harassing a woman despite being told that she was married and the fact there were other people around. (That happened at around noon time).
The next thing I became a witness of was a police officer arresting another suspicious type on Nicollet and 24th (I believe). Plus tons of desperate and/or gangster looking folks on the streets talking trash.. Oh well, I guess this is city life, or am I wrong ?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 AM

1,635 posts, read 946,271 times
Like you say, that's city life. Gangsta look alikes are mostly bored teenagers looking for something to talk about. Unless you give them a reason to get in a confrontation, they're usually just putting on airs for their buddies, and mean no harm.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 AM

11 posts, read 13,945 times
The only thing I would contribute about the crime rate in Marcy-Holmes is that it's largely a neighborhood of 19-22 yr olds that didn't grow up in the city and aren't smart enough to lock up their stuff. Not to mention that criminals are likely aware that these kids are all carrying iPods, cell phones, laptops, etc and probably leave them lying around the house when nobody's home. The other factor could be alcohol, since there's probably a higher percentage of drunk people 7 days a week than any other part of the city.

The part of Marcy-Holmes west of 35W is actually really nice and probably has a lot less college-age residents.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 11,109 times
Any street of any city in any state can be dangerous. I think people put way too much stock in blackballing certain neighborhoods or cities. 95% of crimes against other people are NOT random. If you run in circles where violence and homicide is prevalent, then, yes. It's dangerous. If you're a crack addict, make sure you don't buy on credit. If you're a gang member, don't kill anyone or snitch on anyone. I don't think you're either of these, so here's my advice: you could be part of the 5% and be robbed or killed by a stranger, but statistics are on your side. It's all about common sense and making good choices.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 AM

17 posts, read 13,582 times
I will be moving from NYC to River Falls, WI to work but dont want to live there...is St. Paul a great place from a single woman in her late twenties? Also, Highland on the Park apartments a good place to live?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:46 AM

319 posts, read 263,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomedadvice View Post
I will be moving from NYC to River Falls, WI to work but dont want to live there...is St. Paul a great place from a single woman in her late twenties? Also, Highland on the Park apartments a good place to live?

What do you consider good?

St. Paul will be a lot less urban than NYC in lots of ways other than just size. You'll probably want to be on the east side of the metro though since you'll be commuting to River Falls. I'd recommend trying to find something close to Grand Ave in St. Paul or something in downtown St. Paul, not knowing what else you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul