U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:52 PM

21 posts, read 34,148 times
Default Moving to St. Paul area, which areas are the best/worst to live in?

Hello,
right now I currently live in Duluth with my husband, we just graduated from college and we're looking to move to the St. Paul area in the summer. He is going to try and find a teaching job and I will actually be going back to school. I have been looking for apartments or townhomes to rent and I'm wondering what cities around St. Paul are nice to live in and relatively safe. We are looking to probably spend no more than $900 - $1000/month. I will be going to school in St. Paul so we would like an area not too far away from there. Any information would be helpful Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 08:12 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,340,323 times
You didn't say where in St Paul you'll be going to school, but Merriam Park would be the neighborhood most centrally located among St Paul's colleges. The nicest apartments in this neighborhood are likely to be closest to the river.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:08 PM

218 posts, read 332,372 times
For a large city, St. Paul is very safe.

This is a great resource:

http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=8283

They have one for residential burglary but the dots are so numerous it's hard to tell which neighborhoods are truly safe and truly dangerous; a lot of safe neighborhoods in the western third of the city are yellow. Of the maps I looked over, this one (aggravated assault) tells the clearest picture of which neighborhoods are safe.

People will tell you to stay away from the east side or stay away from the west side. There is some truth to that but realistically both areas have both good and bad neighborhoods. As you can see on the map, parts of the far east side are great and have low crime while parts of the near east side near Edgerton/Arcade/Earl/Maryland/Case/Minnehaha are dangerous and downright ghetto. I'd imagine that housing in the safe neighborhoods of the east side and possibly parts of the west side is a bargain these days because of the bad reputation. One slice of the west side has crime, but depending on what you compare it to it's really not that bad. I would be comfortable living there. I currently live in grid #211 and it is a VERY safe area with great people and neighbors that really care about the neighborhood. It gets worse from there as you go eastward towards Robert, then it gets a little better, although I don't think most people are aware that it gets better over there.

BTW the "west side" is the small part of the city geographically south of the river, not the geographically west part of town. I disagree and think they should call it the south side, but historically it's always been the west side.

What I can't say is what places like the east side and the west side will look like in 10-20 years. The east side has been getting worse, and I'd imagine that the crime is moving eastward as it gets worse, so it's possible that in 10 years the far east edge of the east side could be dangerous. Same for my neighborhood on the west side.

The important thing to note is that compared to most American cities, St. Paul crime is nothing. From what I've read and experienced, you will be safer in St. Paul's worst neighborhood than you will in the better neighborhoods of dangerous cities like St. Louis and Baltimore. People who need confidence that it's very highly unlikely that they will become a victim of crime need not limit their search to the suburbs. Although the suburbs are very safe, there are plenty of safe neighborhoods in the city proper as well.

All of the suburbs surrounding St. Paul are very safe. West St. Paul is probably the most questionable one, and it is not really that bad even though it doesn't have the greatest reputation. It's better than the west side crime-wise and the west side is not that bad.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM

5,231 posts, read 9,340,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
For a large city, St. Paul is very safe.

This is a great resource:

http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=8283

They have one for residential burglary but the dots are so numerous it's hard to tell which neighborhoods are truly safe and truly dangerous; a lot of safe neighborhoods in the western third of the city are yellow. Of the maps I looked over, this one (aggravated assault) tells the clearest picture of which neighborhoods are safe.

People will tell you to stay away from the east side or stay away from the west side. There is some truth to that but realistically both areas have both good and bad neighborhoods. As you can see on the map, parts of the far east side are great and have low crime while parts of the near east side near Edgerton/Arcade/Earl/Maryland/Case/Minnehaha are dangerous and downright ghetto. I'd imagine that housing in the safe neighborhoods of the east side and possibly parts of the west side is a bargain these days because of the bad reputation. One slice of the west side has crime, but depending on what you compare it to it's really not that bad. I would be comfortable living there. I currently live in grid #211 and it is a VERY safe area with great people and neighbors that really care about the neighborhood. It gets worse from there as you go eastward towards Robert, then it gets a little better, although I don't think most people are aware that it gets better over there.

BTW the "west side" is the small part of the city geographically south of the river, not the geographically west part of town. I disagree and think they should call it the south side, but historically it's always been the west side.

What I can't say is what places like the east side and the west side will look like in 10-20 years. The east side has been getting worse, and I'd imagine that the crime is moving eastward as it gets worse, so it's possible that in 10 years the far east edge of the east side could be dangerous. Same for my neighborhood on the west side.

The important thing to note is that compared to most American cities, St. Paul crime is nothing. From what I've read and experienced, you will be safer in St. Paul's worst neighborhood than you will in the better neighborhoods of dangerous cities like St. Louis and Baltimore. People who need confidence that it's very highly unlikely that they will become a victim of crime need not limit their search to the suburbs. Although the suburbs are very safe, there are plenty of safe neighborhoods in the city proper as well.

All of the suburbs surrounding St. Paul are very safe. West St. Paul is probably the most questionable one, and it is not really that bad even though it doesn't have the greatest reputation. It's better than the west side crime-wise and the west side is not that bad.
Yes, the "West" Side is south as the crow flies, but it is on the west bank of the Mississippi River, which happens to flow west-east through St. Paul.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 PM

I will be going to school at St. Paul Tech College.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM

169 posts, read 341,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnashes View Post
I will be going to school at St. Paul Tech College.
If you'll be at St Paul Tech, try looking in the neighborhoods of Cathedral Hill, Lowertown or Summit-University. They are very close to the school and good areas to live in. Not that they are the only good ones; it's just a suggestion. You should come down and visit St Paul if you haven't already. I also have to agree with a former poster that with the exception of a few areas, most of St Paul is actually pretty decent to live in.

That's assuming you want to live in the city -- you haven't told us if you would prefer living in the city or if you would rather live in the suburbs.

Last edited by silverjet; 01-04-2010 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM

I'm kind of thinking I would rather live in the suburbs, but I would be open to the city if we could find a nice place. My main concern is cost and safety.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 AM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnashes View Post
I'm kind of thinking I would rather live in the suburbs, but I would be open to the city if we could find a nice place. My main concern is cost and safety.
I would look in the Inver Grove Heights area. There are a lot of apartments/townhomes to rent in that area and it is an easy commute into St. Paul. It is a very safe area and convenient to shopping, activities, etc. Woodbury and Oakdale would be another choice, again, a lot of apartments and townhomes to rent in the area and safe. Eagan would be another place where you can find a lot of rentals, safe and easy commute into St. Paul.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM

174 posts, read 275,974 times
i dont get it...when did the twin cities become a place to flee because of the crime/?!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,182,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcitti View Post
i dont get it...when did the twin cities become a place to flee because of the crime/?!
It isn't. Some people just have an overinflated view of the metro area and/or unrealistic requirements based on pure statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul