Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 AM

306 posts, read 475,902 times

Advertisements

In 2009, a huge reduction in murder in Minneapolis occurred.
This year, already we have 5 homicides, Minneapolis records fifth homicide of the new year | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/81057787.html?elr=KArksUUUU - broken link)

Whats up? Did all the criminals wait till this year to commit murder, just so we could have one really good year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 AM

117 posts, read 394,505 times
Sounds like all the victims have been somali. Might be two somali gangs going after eachother.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Is it possible that homicides are not indicative of crime trends? It would seem to defy logic, but maybe it's the case.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:24 PM

292 posts, read 891,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprof View Post
Sounds like all the victims have been somali. Might be two somali gangs going after eachother.
3 of the victims we're Somali that we're killed during a robbery of the convenience store that they owned. I indirectly know someone who was in the store at the time of the robbery and she had to beg for her life.

One victim was a black male from a suburb who was killed in a area that is known for drug activity.

As of now no info is available right now on the 5th victim.

Before you start claiming that a gang war is going on at least check one of the local new sights for some basic info.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
That triple-murder was a tough break for Minneapolis, not to mention for the families of the victims. It looks someone was arrested for that last night, which is good. Unfortunately, the suspect is a 17 year old juvenile. Somali community members cooperated with police to help them make that arrest.

Arrest of teen in triple homicide is 'good news' | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/81066707.html?elr=KArksCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKU7D YaGEP7vDEh7PiUs - broken link)

It looks like someone was trying for a 6th this morning near Olson Memorial and Humboldt, where a baby being held by her mother was shot. Luckily, the child will survive (hopefully without chronic medical issues), but I hope they get whomever is responsible for this one and throw the book at him.

Child hit by bullet at bus stop in Minneapolis | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/81069472.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)

Star Tribune only reports it as happening in "North Minneapolis." I really think the Star Tribune sucks these days. I got the location from the ironically sensationalistic KSTP "Crime Tracker." KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul - CrimeTracker - Minneapolis

EDIT: When I first encountered the Star Tribune story, no location was given. The article has been rewritten in more detail, including the location; therefore, it doesn't suck as much as before.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 01-09-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 03:50 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
That triple-murder was a tough break for Minneapolis, not to mention for the families of the victims. It looks someone was arrested for that last night, which is good. Unfortunately, the suspect is a 17 year old juvenile. Somali community members cooperated with police to help them make that arrest.

Arrest of teen in triple homicide is 'good news' | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/81066707.html?elr=KArksCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKU7D YaGEP7vDEh7PiUs - broken link)

It looks like someone was trying for a 6th this morning near Olson Memorial and Humboldt, where a baby being held by her mother was shot. Luckily, the child will survive (hopefully without chronic medical issues), but I hope they get whomever is responsible for this one and throw the book at him.

Child hit by bullet at bus stop in Minneapolis | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/81069472.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)

Star Tribune only reports it as happening in "North Minneapolis." I really think the Star Tribune sucks these days. I got the location from the ironically sensationalistic KSTP "Crime Tracker." KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul - CrimeTracker - Minneapolis

EDIT: When I first encountered the Star Tribune story, no location was given. The article has been rewritten in more detail, including the location; therefore, it doesn't suck as much as before.
I agree! Whenever there is a crime anywhere in the city of St Paul, they simply report the location as "St Paul".

Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I hope Mpls isn't trying to break last year's murder rate. 19 or 20 murders is quite a feat. I hope Mpls stays that low.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Minneapolis' murder rate has avg. right around 50 for the last 25 or so years. Some year are a lot better 18 in 2009 and some are alot worse 97 in 1995. I wish that the murder rate would follow the trend that it's been on since '07 and keep dropping. But let's be realistic 2009 wasn't the norm anymore than '95 was. If I had the guess I'd say the 2010's rate will end up around 25 to 35.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM

If you look at the FBI uniform crime reports for the last couple of years while the crime rate in Minneapolis itself if dropping by almost record amounts the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area's crime rate has seen a less drastic decline. So some of the crime is getting pushed out into the first and second ring suburbs. Which could be a good thing since some of the suburbs might be able to give some of the repeat offenders the attention that they deserve and get them off the streets.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM

335 posts, read 675,773 times
5 murders is alot for the first week but i dont think there will be another for the rest of the month and there might be 1 or 2 in february by april i think things will balance out and minneapolis will be around the 2009 pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul