Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:32 PM

42 posts, read 105,020 times

Advertisements

Yep. Like I said, I personally wouldn't particularly suggest Uptown for a 21st (unless you prefer a more laid back feel!), just for the sake of atmosphere, but wasn't implying that my reason for that was safety. I'm sorry I said anything about mugging!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:21 AM

182 posts, read 511,803 times
for your 21st, it's all about going all out in my opinion...therefore, it's advisable to go downtown...easier access to lotsa bars/clubs in a small radius.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Is Stand Up Frank's still in business. In college we liked that little dive bar in N Mpls. Talk about a rough crowd. They had the strongest drinks in the history of drinkdom.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Is Stand Up Frank's still in business. In college we liked that little dive bar in N Mpls. Talk about a rough crowd. They had the strongest drinks in the history of drinkdom.
No, Stand Up Franks is now Donnie Dirks Zombie Den...some kind of Halloween themed hipster bar. We went there once, the ambience is pretty cool but it's overpriced and it was a little too nerdy/hipsterish for my tastes so we left right away.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No, Stand Up Franks is now Donnie Dirks Zombie Den...some kind of Halloween themed hipster bar. We went there once, the ambience is pretty cool but it's overpriced and it was a little too nerdy/hipsterish for my tastes so we left right away.
Aww that stinks! So much for tradition. I had some bet times bar hopping to different dive bars. Do the kids do that anymore? Or are they all into the trendy places?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Aww that stinks! So much for tradition. I had some bet times bar hopping to different dive bars. Do the kids do that anymore? Or are they all into the trendy places?
Oh heck yeah, lots of love for dive bars here.
Some of my favorites include:
Palmer's Bar (Cedar-Riverside)
This is how I would define a classic dive. The only reason I found the place was because I needed to ask for change to pay the parking meter and I've been hooked ever since....reminds me alot of Moe's Tavern from the Simpsons.

Champions Bar and Grill (Powderhorn)
This bar is a little bit on the intimidating side but force yourself to go there for a Vikings game...you'll be glad you did. If you get a good server and get service the wings are awesome.

Tracy's Saloon (Seward)
Two words: Wooden nickel. This place almost always has a great special going on. One of the few places that has worthwhile drink specials on Friday and Saturday nights. I go here strictly to drink Surly on tap. They make some of the best beer I've ever had, and it's brewed in Brooklyn Park.

Sportsman's Pub (NE)
Best restroom in a bar ever. Also, last time I was there they had the arcade machine NBA Jam: Tournament Edition. What's a dive without NBA Jam?

Bullwinkle's Saloon (7 Corners - U of M West Bank)
Harder for me to tolerate these days as my beer taste has gotten snobbier, but you can't beat the prices for a burger basket and a pitcher of low-grade beer. I give Bullwinkel's the nod for best bar of 7 Corners. It's the only bar in that intersection with any kind of soul in my opinion.

Matt's Bar (Powderhorn)
The real home of the Jucy Lucy. Ice cold Premium Grain Belt is always on tap.

Merlin's Rest (Longfellow)
This place gets the nod for the clientele. I've met some interesting folks at Merlins...and let me tell you, they like their liquor. The place is known for its scotch, so get ready for some serious drinking if you go there.

So-So Dives:
Rail Stop (Longfellow)
The Cardinal Tavern (Powderhorn)
Cedar Inn (Powderhorn/Nokomis)
McMahon's Pub (Longfellow)

Dives I'm still mustering the courage to visit:
Sunrise Inn (Nokomis)
Can't remember the name but it's on the corner of E Lake St and 1st or 2nd Ave (right on the east side of 35W.) The bar looks insanely intimidating, but for some reason I'm drawn to it...one day I will enter and order a drink, then hope for the best.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 01-22-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Looks like I won't be bored by any means. I also heard about Stand Up Frank's and I'm sad to hear that it's out of business. The people that told me about it called in "Fall Down Frank's" too!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Here's a toast to Stand Up Franks, a place where they poured booze on the bar if you felt you were short poured.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Here here!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Ha being 21 in Minneapolis is a joke.

You can go party with the college tools around 7corners dinkytown area, but the college crowd sucks.

You can go pay $10 covers for crap places downtown, bars like drink and others try to be some 'trendy' place but are typically ghost towns any days OTHER than Friday nights.

After spedning time in SoCAL and the East Coast, the nightlift in MSP is embarassing. there just isnt the same amount of people. IN SoCal you're talking about 10x the amount of people out so the buzz is just better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul