Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times

Advertisements

I have never in my life EVER heard of someone being looked down upon for not having a Scandinavian name. Neither my maiden name nor my married name are Scandinavian and I have NEVER had an issue with that. I think there are a lot of people here that ASSUME that people don't like them because of their name, which is just silly. Again, I assert that given the tone of most of the posts from people that have a hard time making friends here, it isn't your name, hairstyle, clothing, eye color, neighborhood or where you came from that is the problem .

Old 01-09-2011, 03:40 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,648,444 times
I have run into Minnesotans that look down on people with a Jewish or Arabic name, however.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,031,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have never in my life EVER heard of someone being looked down upon for not having a Scandinavian name. Neither my maiden name nor my married name are Scandinavian and I have NEVER had an issue with that. I think there are a lot of people here that ASSUME that people don't like them because of their name, which is just silly. Again, I assert that given the tone of most of the posts from people that have a hard time making friends here, it isn't your name, hairstyle, clothing, eye color, neighborhood or where you came from that is the problem .
Neither have I. It doesn't make sense, either, given that there are so many folks of German descent in MN. Lots of Italians and other nationalities in the iron range. Etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,652,046 times
I don't have a Scandanavian last name, but my mother's maiden name was. So that side of the family still does. I see no difference at all when with them or anything like that. This is such nonsense.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 PM

356 posts, read 604,527 times
Quote:
Ok, just a couple observations--first, not everyone has a Scandinavian last name-we don't, it's never been a problem. Second, a 1/2 mile section of ONE highway was ranked as 17th worst commute in the nation. I find it very strange that all through your kids' school career that you were never able to make friends with people "from" here. Our social circle is made up of plenty of "natives" and "transplants" and have never had an issue what so ever with "transplants".
Honestly, GG, how on earth can you find this strange when you hear it time and time again from myself and many others with the same problem?

Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,025 times
As I will be most likely moving here after undergrad for law school I'll chime in. I've been to the TC area numerous times. Kids here in PA think I'm crazy for wanting to move here. Well in PA it is very depressing in most areas. Pittsburgh seems very dated. Travel is burdensome for all you do in most of the state is crawl up and down small hills. There are few communities, rather houses and neighborhoods seem thrown together. In parts of MN that I've been this is the exact opposite. Some people here think everyone lives in log cabins in MN when I talk to them! They also have this idea that many people are hicks, which I don't understand as most people I know from PA fall under the REDNECK category.

That's their perception, and mine differs drastically as I have often visited for longer periods of time. I'm impressed with the larger cities, level roads, that most places seem to be laid out on a grid, the beautiful lakes, the fact of the number of Fortune 500 companies located in the TC area, the friendliness, and the level of educated people. I've made over a dozen contacts through MN locals who I stay in contact with to this day, for they have been helpful with questions I have posed while meeting them in TC area.

The culture and sophistication really impresses me for some business people in downtown Pittsburgh blend in with the homeless, while many people I saw heading to work in Minneapolis were all well groomed and sporting some nice fashion. You guys got it good and that's why I'm making the move to MN. And yes, I have been there for winters and the weather is beautiful where in PA ash trucks run the roads non stop and literally it appears that roads are extended 3 ft to the side for all the ashes laying around. The cold never bothered me while visiting in winter months for when it hits COLD, all cold feels the same to me.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,219,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twairlines View Post
As I will be most likely moving here after undergrad for law school I'll chime in. I've been to the TC area numerous times. Kids here in PA think I'm crazy for wanting to move here. Well in PA it is very depressing in most areas. Pittsburgh seems very dated. Travel is burdensome for all you do in most of the state is crawl up and down small hills. There are few communities, rather houses and neighborhoods seem thrown together. In parts of MN that I've been this is the exact opposite. Some people here think everyone lives in log cabins in MN when I talk to them! They also have this idea that many people are hicks, which I don't understand as most people I know from PA fall under the REDNECK category.
Here's something maybe you'll get a kick out of: Here in Southeastern PA, not only do we consider people from PITTSBURGH hicks, and part of the midwest, but a lot of people don't even consider you part of Pennsylvania. I mean, you guys say "pop" out there when you mean "soda"....game over. No self respecting Pennsylvanian would say that.

In all seriousness, you're going to be just fine in Minneapolis. There are SO many people in Minneapolis who are actually from Pittsburgh, it's incredible. Some of the people I was closest with while living in Minneapolis were from Pittsburgh. This can't just be a random event, I wasn't searching for them. I went to school with them, worked with them, lived in my apartment buildings, one of my lanlords...it goes on. And although I lived in Minneapolis for 5 years, and have only been to Pittsburgh a handful of times, I actually think the cities are very, very similar. Pittsburgh has better public transportation, is older, and I personally think the hills make it prettier. Minneapolis has a better economy. But if you get along in Pittsburgh, you'll get along in Minneapolis just fine. And if you have trouble making friends, just walk around asking random people if they are from Pittsburgh, and in not that long you'll find someone you have something in common with anyway...

Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 10,025 times
FamousBlue, thanks for the laugh, but yes, I can omit to those things about SW PA, as I'm guilty of them as well. haha

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
Honestly, GG, how on earth can you find this strange when you hear it time and time again from myself and many others with the same problem?
Because the ONLY place I hear of this issue is on this board. We know plenty of people that have moved here in the past 4-5 years and ALL of them have developed a pretty nice social circle. You have admitted that you don't do anything in town, well, perhaps that would be the way to meet people here.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 AM

356 posts, read 604,527 times
Quote:
Because the ONLY place I hear of this issue is on this board. We know plenty of people that have moved here in the past 4-5 years and ALL of them have developed a pretty nice social circle. You have admitted that you don't do anything in town, well, perhaps that would be the way to meet people here.
You really like to make assumptions and put words in one's mouth. First you said we immediately threw up a fence when we didn't do so for two years. I did not say we don't do anything in town. I stated we have gone to Leprechan Days, the beer gardens, we have also gone to the legion, the pubs and restaurants, as well as the Cat and Fiddle. We participated in a fundraiser and welcome home for soldiers at the N. Guard building where we set up and served food to returning soldiers. We haven't done the HS football/sports/church stuff because we are not sports fans and don't go to church.

Trust me, this is not the only place this topic is discussed and the people on this board are not the only ones who feel this way. Head over to meetup and check all the newbie and transplant groups there. You will see the common thread.

We have made many friends through other means. We don't need to have friends here. It would have been nice to move onto a friendly, cohesive street. We didn't luck out that way. That doesn't mean my experience is incorrect because it differs from yours or that I have done something wrong. You consistently imply since it is not your experience, mine can't possibly be right and that it is my doing. There are tonnes of posts here that back up my experience about living in the TCs and Rosemount that match mine. You refuse to acknowledge any experience other than your perfect impression of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul