Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:06 PM

336 posts, read 927,706 times

Advertisements

I'd say this has not been a bad winter temperature-wise- my kids have not had any below zero late starts or cancellations. We haven't had those horrible weeks where it doesn't get above zero fore 72 hours at a time or something like that.

Compared to recent years, I'd say the snow is above average, but it is really more similar to what I had growing up in the 70's/early 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
I'd say this has not been a bad winter temperature-wise- my kids have not had any below zero late starts or cancellations. We haven't had those horrible weeks where it doesn't get above zero fore 72 hours at a time or something like that.
Which is good, not only because it's unpleasant, but because the local weather people will babble about how much character those temperatures build.

We've gotten a lot of snow this year, and it's not been fun.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM

42 posts, read 105,032 times
I think it's been pretty typical, since typical means all over the place up here! It might be a little warmer, since I only remember a couple weeks when it was consistently below zero. I feel like the slush and gunk on the streets is more than usual. Maybe the city is slacking on that a bit. If you're curious of why people make a big deal about the cold in MN, get outside of the warm bubble of the city to feel the cold. Since I've lived here, I've noticed that it always feels warmer here than anywhere else.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM

33 posts, read 127,735 times
Ice dams have been terrible with all this snow and then the thaws and then the more snow. Other than that, fairly average.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM

34 posts, read 76,648 times
Temps have been pretty average(and NWS official numbers support that, just slightly below for Dec and Jan.), though we haven't had as many thaws as usual...usually we get at least a couple 40 degree days in there during the winter and we havent had any. We have had the usual few artic blasts moderated by milder weather in between though, and the coldest temp so far has been -15, which is a pretty average coldest for the twin cities.

One thing of note about this winter...Because of the lack of major thaws, and more snow than average, the snow is deeper this year than it has been in many. In the twin cities the snow hasn't been this deep since 1996. I suspect it will be on the ground longer than normal too, due to the depth.

As for the bitter cold...we have definately had our cold snaps. The first 10 days of January were each 10 to 20+ degrees colder than avg, and the 9th to the 16th of December were also 10 to 20 degrees colder than average.

Big weather nerd here...I could talk weather stats, averages, and history for MSP all day. lol.

Last edited by mnmike; 02-18-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmike View Post
Temps have been pretty average(and NWS official numbers support that, just slightly below for Dec and Jan.), though we haven't had as many thaws as usual...usually we get at least a couple 40 degree days in there during the winter and we havent had any. We have had the usual few artic blasts moderated by milder weather in between though, and the coldest temp so far has been -15, which is a pretty average coldest for the twin cities.
Yep.

November was ridiculously warm, but since then things have been pretty average, at least over any period of several weeks.

Quote:
One thing of note about this winter...Because of the lack of major thaws, and more snow than average, the snow is deeper this year than it has been in many. In the twin cities the snow hasn't been this deep since 1996. I suspect it will be on the ground longer than normal too, due to the depth.
The melt will be interesting. Even if it's long and gradual, the rivers should be higher than usual. If it stays mostly below freezing, then we get a long stretch of warm days in the 40s and 50s, there could be some serious flooding, especially if we get another major snowfall or two.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 AM

34 posts, read 76,648 times
Yeah, I guess I really meant to say the snow is the deepest since the winter of 96'-97'...we all know what happened in the spring of 97'. The melt will be interesting indeed. Definately bears watching.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmike View Post
Yeah, I guess I really meant to say the snow is the deepest since the winter of 96'-97'...we all know what happened in the spring of 97'. The melt will be interesting indeed. Definately bears watching.
Hopefully we continue on this nice slow melt we have had this week.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
Except for all the ice on the streets thanks to the Christmas thaw that was quick-frozen, I haven't minded this winter at all. The past four days have been incredible!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
^Agreed. November was amazing and February has been very nice weather wise as well. December was brutal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul