Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Then you must not have been to South Dakota and Missouri. Their roads and infrastructure are significantly worse then what we have here.
Are you kidding?! South Dakota roads are like BUTTER compared to the ones around the Twin Cities. South Dakota uses CEMENT and revamps any blemish that arises. I need an alignment from driving on 94.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM

117 posts, read 377,451 times
The roads here have deteriorated to a very poor condition curiously during the tenure of Tim Pawlenty. Although that is my only frame of reference to this state. The roads seemed better when we moved here.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:01 PM

35 posts, read 120,356 times
I was going to use an argument about gas tax based on the better roads and higher gas tax in Wisconsin. Then i realized we still have a rather high state gas tax. Now I'm just completely thinking it is too much gas tax funds going into the general fund.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 AM

19 posts, read 55,970 times
Yes. Gas taxes should go to paying for transportation. School taxes should go towards paying for schools and so forth. You should also be able to go online and see where all your tax dollars go.

The twin cities area is a beautiful metro area and a great place to live and I understand that roads aren't ever going to be the smoothest because of the weather.

But when the roads damage your car to drive on them that is where people should draw the line.

Not only that but there has been cases where the roads were responsible for peoples deaths.

I guess its cheaper to pay the family members 2-3 million dollar settlements than actually fix the problem.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:59 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danie123182 View Post
Yes. Gas taxes should go to paying for transportation. School taxes should go towards paying for schools and so forth. You should also be able to go online and see where all your tax dollars go.

The twin cities area is a beautiful metro area and a great place to live and I understand that roads aren't ever going to be the smoothest because of the weather.

But when the roads damage your car to drive on them that is where people should draw the line.

Not only that but there has been cases where the roads were responsible for peoples deaths.

I guess its cheaper to pay the family members 2-3 million dollar settlements than actually fix the problem.
Have you ever heard of the band Radiohead and their album Rainbows?
If you have, you may know that they released their album stating that customers can purchase it for whatever they feel like paying - either $1 or $1000. This album did very well, and in a time where record sales are plummeting and the music industry is dying, they went agains the grain and made some sales.

In an Regional Economics course I took, we explored the possibility of taxpayers picking and choosing where to allocate their portion of tax dollars. Almost a true picking and choosing, not by nominating "representatives" that will vote and make laws according to their constituents.

It was interesting, and a model that might actually work.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,667,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Have you ever heard of the band Radiohead and their album Rainbows?
If you have, you may know that they released their album stating that customers can purchase it for whatever they feel like paying - either $1 or $1000. This album did very well, and in a time where record sales are plummeting and the music industry is dying, they went agains the grain and made some sales.

In an Regional Economics course I took, we explored the possibility of taxpayers picking and choosing where to allocate their portion of tax dollars. Almost a true picking and choosing, not by nominating "representatives" that will vote and make laws according to their constituents.

It was interesting, and a model that might actually work.
Is it being implemented anywhere? (Besides normal referendums.) I can foresee a whole bunch of red flags it would raise, but I'm curious to know if it's working somewhere.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Is it being implemented anywhere? (Besides normal referendums.) I can foresee a whole bunch of red flags it would raise, but I'm curious to know if it's working somewhere.

If I remember right it was tried out for some school district referrendums, asking the taxpayers to put a dollar amount that they wouldn't exceed... For example

"School A needs X new computers in this lab, what is the maximum amount of your tax dollars are you willing to allocate towards this new lab?" So you would answer something like

Less than $X, about $X, or more than $X?

This model creates dispairities such as unpopular courses, activites and subjects getting misrepresented (like the funding for a new Clay Spinner, might not be very popular amongst tax payers, but who is to say that the Phys Ed Dept. get's more tax allocation than the Art)

There are a lot of red flags, but there are models that are being explored that will give tax payers more of a say where their money goes... Again, it kind of beats the heck out of the idea of Democracy or having elected officials to represent their constituents...But does that really happen nowadays anyway?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
Years ago, when I was driving a rental car around Mexico, in some of the rural areas, those that owned property adjoining the roads would go out and fill in the potholes with gravel or dirt, and offer a tipped-up sombrero to passing motorists for donations for making that particular stretch of road smoother.

But who knows, with Mexico! Perhaps they were constantly redigging the potholes and refilling them to make it appear they were made naturally!

Minnesotans might try a system like that?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Years ago, when I was driving a rental car around Mexico, in some of the rural areas, those that owned property adjoining the roads would go out and fill in the potholes with gravel or dirt, and offer a tipped-up sombrero to passing motorists for donations for making that particular stretch of road smoother.

But who knows, with Mexico! Perhaps they were constantly redigging the potholes and refilling them to make it appear they were made naturally!

Minnesotans might try a system like that?
That's interesting. There has been plenty of debate of how to assign the costs to roads and maintenance. Sometimes the argument of "I don't use the road, why should I pay?" Makes sense. This is why there are toll highways, and HOV lanes or pay-as-you go lanes, such as MnPass.

An excellent way to make individuals aware of automobile usage is to have something that charges the individual for how many miles they use on a particular stretch of road, by having some kind of satellite tracker in their vehichle.

It could be managed by GPS that says for example "HWY 169 from __ to __ is approximately $.xx per mile."

This makes it so if you NEVER use the roads then you never have to allocate you tax dollars towards roads. Maybe if you bike to work within the city of MPLS your tax dollars go to safety, upkeep and maintenance of trails in the city for biking.

The one downside to this is that there is a gray area to who must pay for the transportation of goods and carriers who use the road....

Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 AM

587 posts, read 1,419,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Sometimes the argument of "I don't use the road, why should I pay?" Makes sense.

The one downside to this is that there is a gray area to who must pay for the transportation of goods and carriers who use the road....
Exactly. If you live here, you are buying goods brought in using the roads. You are benefiting. You get mail, also delivered to you using those roads. Etc, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul