U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:23 PM

75 posts, read 340,648 times

Advertisements

The Minneapolis area sounds like a great place to live. It keeps running tops on our our list of places to move to! So I think we'll be there soon.

I know it gets cold there. I'm trying to prepare myself for that.

Let's say going to work on a Janaury day to an office and a 5 minute walk from the car to inside. How do you dress?

Coat, gloves seems obvious. Is it soooo cold everone wears a hat?

What kind of coat is popular? What's a good coat for the winter?

I keep laughing that I'll buy something scientists would take on a Polar trek.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 05:07 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,983,581 times
In the winter I usually wear a turtleneck, sweater and pants. For a winter coat I have a Columbia jacket for casual/everyday wear. It is plenty warm. I rarely wear a hat because I don't like them but my jacket has a hood that I use if it is really cold. I almost always wear gloves/mittens otherwise my hands get too dry. The thing to do is dress in layers. It allows you to remove some clothing if you are too warm but it also adds an insulating layer between the layers with the bit of air that is trapped in each layer.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:10 PM

8,494 posts, read 14,421,211 times
I wear a down parka with a wind resistant shell. Lots of times, the wind is worse than the cold. Hats are good but they will screw up your hair for the day. I use one if I have to. My parka has big pockets so I keep a hat and 2 pairs of gloves in the coat. It also has a hood. The hood doesn't mess up your hair as much as the hat.

Polar fleece is wonderful stuff. It drys in a flash and really keeps you warm. I have shirts, pants, and jackets made out of the stuff. Long underwear is a good idea too. I like the silk stuff that's not bulky but still washable.

All my outerwear is washable. I always get that salt stuff all over it from brushing up against cars. Lots of times I will leave the parka in the car and run in to work with a lighter weight coat. Just as long as I have it available for emergencies.

My parka is Eddie Bauer. Some of the other popular brands are Columbia and North Face. When you buy your heavy coat, bigger is better so you can wear multiple layers under it if necessary.

Parking lots and sidewalks are sometimes all salty and slushy. You need waterproof boots of some kind with decent tread on the bottom. I carry my nice shoes in my briefcase and stash the boots under my desk. It's a good idea to have boots in your car just in case you get stuck.

I also have a good ice scraper, blanket, and a gallon of blue juice(windshield cleaner) in my car. You will use a lot of that stuff in the winter. I drive a lot in bad conditions so I also carry matches, candles, and some protein bars. The emergency kit is probably overkill if you just drive around Minneapolis.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 PM

638 posts, read 2,206,360 times
I have a regular 3 season jacket with a zip-out lining that I use only from late November through February at most. It also has a removable hood that I use during that period of time also. I wear either mittens (if it's REALLY cold) or gloves; I've liked the Isotoner-style gloves with a fleece lining the past few years. I ALWAYS wear a warm winter scarf around my neck and face due to asthma and frequent bronchitis. I don't think I've worn a hat for over 40 years.

I also don't own a bunch of polar fleece; I think I have 1 top made of it. I wear a camisole, turtleneck and sweater with slacks and winter weight knee socks most of the time. Boots are usually a must; however I didn't have any this past winter and there were only 2 or 3 days when I really needed them. Of course, when you NEED them; they aren't available at all!

Layering clothes is the secret to comfort in the winter in MN.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 AM

75 posts, read 340,648 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the great answers.

I've been online this morning looking at parkas. I'm so glad a hat isn't something I'd need to wear on work days. My husband laughs but that would make a bad hair day!

Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,983,581 times
I wouldn't worry about buying a winter coat any time soon. We have our hot summer here (although it is cool today). You won't need a heavy winter coat until November or so.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:05 PM

8,494 posts, read 14,421,211 times
I carry my parka in my car more than I actually wear it! If I'm just running in somewhere, I leave it in the car beacuse I know it will be so warm inside that I will have to carry it if I bring it in.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM

4,268 posts, read 7,441,352 times
80% of all body heat is lost through the head. If you're going to be outside a lot (catching the bus, going for a run, etc), wearing a hat will keep you feeling a lot warmer than not. Otherwise, layer, layer, layer. The problem I always had was when I was going out to dinner or the theatre: you want to look fabulous with great shoes, but you don't want to catch frostbite either! Decisions, decisions

Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,620 times
I will be attending college in Minneapolis next fall. What are some ways to make walking from class to class warm without having to take on and off a bunch of layers. I am a California girl so it will be a big transition for me!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM

1,635 posts, read 954,182 times
As the settlers of the 19th Century wrote to their relatives in the Old World:

"Bring warm clothes!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul