U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,218,387 times

Advertisements

Got it. So '97 was enough to tide over Cleveland, you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM

3,738 posts, read 5,065,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Got it. So '97 was enough to tide over Cleveland, you think?

Ha, ha. Probably not, but from where I am, I would just love an appearance in something special. I guess NFC Championship game was fun, but they're the Vikings. We ALL knew that it would be a miracle if they DIDN'T do something to mess it up. That's how we've been trained to think when it comes to them.

With the Twins, they had success here and there throughout their time in MN, but other than the 2 championships, they were quite sad before the 2000s. Much of the 1990s were a wash, low payrolls, low attendance, etc. Now they have been successful, but can't seem to make it further than the first round. To me, a first round loss is just as bad as not even making it to the playoffs.

North Stars were never good, so I've heard. At least they had a fan base. Went to the Cup in early 90s, but that was somewhat of an anomaly.

Wild have yet to prove themselves. They sell out their arena, but havn't accomplished much, except in 2003.

T-Wolves were embarassing for their first 10 years in the league, and with the exception of a few successful seasons, haven't been interesting at all. KG is bigger star for the Celtics, even though he was his best in MN.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,218,387 times
Well, I'm with you, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

As you mentioned, the Vikings have a proud tradition of choking, and the Twins seem to be forging out their own choke-tastic identity, as well.

Maybe the Wild will hoist a Stanley Cup some time in the near future. Maybe....

Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,311,330 times
I think the Twins still by far have the largest fanbase out of all the local teams. I was in Wrigley last summer at a Twins vs Cubs game and was surprised to find over half the crowd was Twins fans. It was pretty cool! I've seen this multiple times in Milwaukee and Kansas City as well; Twins fans travel well.

The Wild fanbase could be so much better than it is.

I think it would be best for the cities if the T-Wolves moved away. Then those sports resources could be devoted elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM

383 posts, read 542,510 times
The Timberwolves are one of those teams that have limited regional appeal in and around their city and stadium and nowhere else, sort of like the New York Islanders, the Tampa Bay Rays, the Golden State Warriors, and the Texas Rangers. If you're an Islanders fan, you're probably from Long Island, if you're a Rays fan, you're likely from Saint Pete, if you're a Warriors fan, chances are, you're from Oakland and if you're a Texas Rangers fan, you're from Tarrant County. Outside the city of Minneapolis, you will probably find very few Timberwolves fans.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 AM

4,933 posts, read 8,691,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I think the Twins still by far have the largest fanbase out of all the local teams. I was in Wrigley last summer at a Twins vs Cubs game and was surprised to find over half the crowd was Twins fans. It was pretty cool! I've seen this multiple times in Milwaukee and Kansas City as well; Twins fans travel well.
I think more than anything that just goes to show you how thirsty Minnesota baseball fans were/are for outdoor baseball. Wrigley used to be the closest place to get that experience.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
The Timberwolves are one of those teams that have limited regional appeal in and around their city and stadium and nowhere else, sort of like the New York Islanders, the Tampa Bay Rays, the Golden State Warriors, and the Texas Rangers. If you're an Islanders fan, you're probably from Long Island, if you're a Rays fan, you're likely from Saint Pete, if you're a Warriors fan, chances are, you're from Oakland and if you're a Texas Rangers fan, you're from Tarrant County. Outside the city of Minneapolis, you will probably find very few Timberwolves fans.

While I think that is true now, Kevin Garnett did a lot to appeal to NBA fans on a national scale. Granted he may have attracted fans to him first, then leading them to become T-Wolves fans just as much as KG fans. T-Wolves have always had a solid East European following, as they were one of the first teams to have foreign rosters in the 1990s with Rasho Nesterovich and a few others...

The Wolves seem like they could be good on paper, or in a few years. Remember they are rebuilding and a very young team, with a whole new front office, I can't blame them for being sub-par this season.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post

The Wild fanbase could be so much better than it is.

I think it would be best for the cities if the T-Wolves moved away. Then those sports resources could be devoted elsewhere.

do you think the Twins have the largest LOCAL fan base or NATIONAL fan base? I think the Twins are similar to the Vikings in the sense that they have fans from every corner of the USA. I know Vikings draw fans from Montana, ND, SD, IA, and even Nebraska. NFL fans always consider the Vikings one of the more well-known franchises, as they are one of the original NFL teams, successes, and how long they've been around.

In my opinion The Vikes have the largest national fan base due to their star-studded roster.. But...the same could be said for the Twins.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,629,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
do you think the Twins have the largest LOCAL fan base or NATIONAL fan base? I think the Twins are similar to the Vikings in the sense that they have fans from every corner of the USA. I know Vikings draw fans from Montana, ND, SD, IA, and even Nebraska. NFL fans always consider the Vikings one of the more well-known franchises, as they are one of the original NFL teams, successes, and how long they've been around.

In my opinion The Vikes have the largest national fan base due to their star-studded roster.. But...the same could be said for the Twins.
The Vikes have a large fanbase, but they are not one of the original teams.

The Vikings franchise played its first game in 1961, while the NFL was formed in 1922 (actually in 1920, but it changed its name in 1922).

The Vikings aren't even the first NFL team from Minnesota.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The Vikes have a large fanbase, but they are not one of the original teams.

The Vikings franchise played its first game in 1961, while the NFL was formed in 1922 (actually in 1920, but it changed its name in 1922).

The Vikings aren't even the first NFL team from Minnesota.

Yeah, the old Duluth Eskimos, too bad the Hollywood Movie 'Leatherheads' sucked so bad.

Just like in other major sports, NFL has had it's era's, and I never include (either do sports references) the pre- Super Bowl era, it was just a totally different game.

So, I guess, EDIT: The Vikes are one of the original Super Bowl era expansion teams, or PRE MERGER teams...

Go take Jim Thorpe and put him on a field now, he would be destroyed.

Plus, people who can remember the early NFL days are probably dead now or too old TO remember those teams such as the Chicago Cardinals, Duluth Eskimos, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul