Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 AM

383 posts, read 897,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
, and has Dowling Elementary - another great school.
Only if you want your children to become lifelong communists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM

134 posts, read 337,732 times
Highland Park in St Paul has an excellent elementary school- Mann Elementary and is super close to the 46th street light rail station. There are a number of buses that can take you across the river to the light rail station, or you can walk.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM

129 posts, read 387,683 times
Thanks everybody...

speaking of buses, how would rate the bus system for being able to get to/from either downtown from various neighborhoods...Is it reliable/efficient enough so that i don't have to be near a light rail and therefore have more options for neighborhoods....(if you haven't guessed I'd like to minimize by car dependence..especially for daily commuting purposes)

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM

134 posts, read 337,732 times
Bus service to downtown is generally pretty good. I tend to prefer light rail because it's more reliable (rain, snow don't slow down the trains!). Most of my coworkers take mass transit because parking downtown is so expensive.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,516,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specificnorthwest View Post
Thanks everybody...

speaking of buses, how would rate the bus system for being able to get to/from either downtown from various neighborhoods...Is it reliable/efficient enough so that i don't have to be near a light rail and therefore have more options for neighborhoods....(if you haven't guessed I'd like to minimize by car dependence..especially for daily commuting purposes)
There are 4 different bus routes that run from Highland Village (the area around the Ford Plant) directly to the 46 St. LRT station. The bus ride is ~5 minutes.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,655,416 times
Buses generally work pretty well. I prefer light rail when available, but since my favorite neighborhoods in Minneapolis are not located along light rail I stick with the bus. Most of the people I know who work downtown take the bus to work. It's generally pretty reliable and sticks to the schedule, even in the winter. So yes, I think you're safe expanding your neighborhood search.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,044,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
Only if you want your children to become lifelong communists.
Just about every one of your posts are extremely ignorant.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,655,416 times
Hey, maybe he has a point; back when I was at school at Northrop Montessori (before it moved over to Seward) and Gorbachev came to town back in the late 80s or early 90s we all trekked out to tie big ribbons around trees along his potential motorcade route. Didn't make a communist out of me, though. (now Seward: now THAT's the Twin Cities neighborhood that historically, anyway, was the place-to-be for the local would-be communists.)

Although one could perhaps say that my exposure to diversity of all kinds, including economic, has made me a devotedly liberal; lots of us lefties come out of the MPS, so beware...

[ETA: and if you're not as liberal as me you don't need to worry, either; Minneapolis is pretty far to the left, politically-speaking, but the schools have some conservatives there, too; the head of the Taxpayers League of MN even came to talk to my brother's class when he was in school, although admittedly the audience was presumably pretty skeptical.)

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 04-14-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 PM

383 posts, read 897,991 times
Quote:
Just about every one of your posts are extremely ignorant.
I went there as a kid and I have friends who went to Dowling that are now sending their kids to Dowling as well too. We all had the same complaint about Dowling: Nothing was allowed and we all had to share our goodies with underachievers. From what their parents tell me, it's still the same.

Added: MPS probably was the tipping point into what turned me into being a conservative. I saw what happened when you have an authoritarian system where you mention or do something that's politically incorrect results in a suspension or an expulsion. I also saw what happened with zero tolerance policies and how unequally they were enforced. A day didn't go by where the Afro-American kids always started fights with racial overtones (And before some stupid white liberal calls me "racist", I'm black) , even with other black kids from other countries and both the vitcim and the aggressors got into trouble. That happened A LOT at Dowling.

Last edited by ColdRedRain; 04-14-2010 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,044,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
I went there as a kid and I have friends who went to Dowling that are now sending their kids to Dowling as well too. We all had the same complaint about Dowling: Nothing was allowed and we all had to share our goodies with underachievers. From what their parents tell me, it's still the same.

Added: MPS probably was the tipping point into what turned me into being a conservative. I saw what happened when you have an authoritarian system where you mention or do something that's politically incorrect results in a suspension or an expulsion. I also saw what happened with zero tolerance policies and how unequally they were enforced. A day didn't go by where the Afro-American kids always started fights with racial overtones (And before some stupid white liberal calls me "racist", I'm black) , even with other black kids from other countries and both the vitcim and the aggressors got into trouble. That happened A LOT at Dowling.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up

And I have seen your picture in your profile, so im aware your black and not a racist, and I know what thats like with the color kids starting fights everyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul