Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix06 View Post
Thank you Camden Northsider. My concern lies with the fact that if this ticket does indeed transfer to my driving record, my license could be revoked. Paying the fine would be bad enough as it is, but the points deducted against my license are the real problem. Also, doesn't MN have you meet with a Hearing Officer? I don't know how it works, but I read something about that in the past. Is the Hearing Officer the person you would request a continuance from, or would I need to call and talk to the District Attourney?
Your license is not going to be revoked over something so minor- trust me, I have plenty more hits on my driving record than you do, and I've never heard of revocation unless it has to do with DUI or some type of disability (e.g. epilepsy, etc.) or criminal incident/negligence.

Really, you're making it out to be a lot bigger process than it is. District Attorney?? (you're not going to get them on the line, and if you by chance did, you might get hung up on). Also, I'm not sure "continuance" gets used much for traffic violations in MN. The Hearing Officer is the same thing as what I meant when I said "Traffic Court Judge" (couldn't think of what they are called). If you're that worried about it, talk to a lawyer- or call the county clerk to ask more about the process (e.g. if you're not satisfied with the outcome of the meeting with Hearing Officer, can you still contest, etc.).

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 8,077 times
I doubt it. Generally you need a clean driving record for at least a few years to be eligible. It's basically a reward for historically being a safe driver. I would say with certainty you would not apply.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM

145 posts, read 324,506 times
They do give out continuences for dismissal at least some places in Minnesota. My father got one in Dakota county.

(Ancedotes- a coworker got three speeding tickets on his drive home from his cabin up north and his license got suspended. At least it wasn't Wisconsin, another co-worker got pulled over twice in one day in Wisconsin and the second time got hauled into jail for a couple of hours).

Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Probably a non-issue now after 2 years....

Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
You can easily get suspended for too many tickets in too short of time, even if they are minor. I have been there. Also, tickets from most other states do come up when MN looks at your record. Ever hear of computers? They make this type of thing possible.

Like some others have said, call the number on the ticket, go to court, plan to sit around waiting for several hours, and then talk to the hearing officer. It will be a small office with just that one person, not like real court. There are some general guidelines that they follow, but it is really up to that person weather or not they feel like helping you out. When they call your number and send you back to talk to him/her, be polite and explain what you want. Tell them that you made a mistake and feel badly about it. Tell them you wont do it again and that you promise to be more careful in the future. Tell them that you have the money to pay the fine, but you really don't want it to go on your record if at all possible. Ask if there is maybe another charge that they might be able to change it to that wont go on your record, or if they can offer a continuance for dismissal. I think there is a very good chance that if you do this, they WILL help you out.

It sounds like you already know what a continuance is, but for those that don't, it means that you promise to not get anymore moving violations in the next year (or whatever time frame that they decide on) and they make you pay a bunch of court fees (or sometimes let you do community service instead) and send you on your way. If you follow through and stay clean, the ticket will stay hidden and no one will ever know about it. If you do get another violation in the stated time frame, the ticket will show back up on your record, along with the new one.

Good luck!

Last edited by bfrabel; 05-26-2012 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: You make a good point Golfgal, I didn't notice how old this thread was. Oh, well, maybe it will be useful for someone else.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Hmmm... Looks like I forgot to get back to this guy two years ago. Oops.

Whatever happened, it's over now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: