Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Things have changed since 2000 me boy. I'd say the number of Latinos in the city has probably doubled since then. Also, break it down into sections and the numbers look alot different. North and South Minneapolis are both very diverse, meanwhile, NE and SW are nearly all white. Central is probably fairly diverse as well.
The data was from 2006, not 2000. The 2000 Census Data is here. I agree about the influx of Latinos and certainly the neighborhoods vary quite a bit. But, in response to the statement that the City of Minneapolis is "not a mostly white city" the data clearly contradicts it. Minneapolis is a mostly white city, that's all I'm saying.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
The data was from 2006, not 2000. The 2000 Census Data is here. I agree about the influx of Latinos and certainly the neighborhoods vary quite a bit. But, in response to the statement that the City of Minneapolis is "not a mostly white city" the data clearly contradicts it. Minneapolis is a mostly white city, that's all I'm saying.
In that case it is using estimates and probably isn't the most reliable data you're looking at. Wait until the 2010 census is completed and we'll see what Minneapolis's demographics really look like. My neighborhood is definitely not majority white, I'll tell you that.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Edina is "mostly white". Plymouth is "mostly white". To say that Minneapolis is "mostly white" is both grossly misleading and denies the existence of more than a third if not closer to half of the city's population.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I really get spooked when I visit beautiful Lake Harriet in South Minneapolis. It is a great place to walk around if you are White. There is no people of color at Lake Harriet. Why? Minneapolis is a diverse City but no one of color is at Lake Harriet. Most everyone is blonde.

I was walking my dog in downtown New Ulm MN when I suddenly noticed mostly German Shepards, Miniature Schnauzers, full sized Poodles, and Large Munsterlander's. They were roaming the parks with their blond hair blue eyed owners. My black lab felt like a minority and felt spooked with his tail between his legs.

Why?? New Ulm is a diverse city but no dogs of color like my Black Lab are walked. Most every dog is of German decent.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The Minnesota NFL team is called the "Vikings" for a reason. :-) Although I suspect there are more folks of German descent in MN than Scandinavian.

This site is interesting reading:

Immigration in Minnesota Fact Sheet (http://www.energyofanation.org/cf8369d9-dcd2-4156-9007-cfd63a61de21.html - broken link)
There's more Germans everywhere. But the pocket of Scandinavians in MN is unique.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I was there last year and it still seems mostly white to me. I live in Houston which has a much more diverse population. I recall one of the thoughts being, "I forgot how white Minneapolis is". I used to live a couple miles from Lake Harriet.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I was there last year and it still seems mostly white to me. I live in Houston which has a much more diverse population. I recall one of the thoughts being, "I forgot how white Minneapolis is". I used to live a couple miles from Lake Harriet.
It's all relative!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I really get spooked when I visit beautiful Lake Harriet in South Minneapolis. It is a great place to walk around if you are White. There is no people of color at Lake Harriet. Why? Minneapolis is a diverse City but no one of color is at Lake Harriet. Most everyone is blonde.
Why do you get spooked? And why does it matter if there's no people of color walking around Lake Harriet? People can go where they please in public places regardless of their race or ethnicity. Also, Minneapolis isn't the most racially diverse city out there. Non-Hispanic whites make up roughly 63% of Minneapolis's population. In fact, according to this article (http://www.startribune.com/local/35776774.html?elr=KArksCiUMcyaL_nDaycUiacyKUUr - broken link), the white population increased in Minneapolis.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Edina is "mostly white". Plymouth is "mostly white". To say that Minneapolis is "mostly white" is both grossly misleading and denies the existence of more than a third if not closer to half of the city's population.
Saying that Minneapolis is "mostly white" doesn't deny the existence of minorities in the city. Minneapolis is predominately white. In fact, the white population has increased in Minneapolis. A true racially diverse city has no racial majority. Obviously, Minneapolis doesn't apply to that statement. White Americans make up over 60% of the city's population.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 AM

138 posts, read 370,639 times
I have lived in the Mill City District for 2 years. I RARELY see people of color in my neighborhood. I'm disapointed more of them don't enjoy the riverfront parks. I get the income thing. But why not visit a park even if you don't live there? I have been to plays at the Guthrie that were FREE. And not one monority in attendance. What does this mean??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul