Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
but this is brutal.
Brutal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:53 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times
People really need to learn how to conserve water, and have a better water management system. I live in a desert and there's plenty of water here. I still conserve water ridiculously though, as a force of habit. I always conserved water when I lived in Minnesota.

We only get ~8" of rain a year. Last year, Phoenix got like only 3" of rain. So uhm, I don't see how Minnesota can be in a "drought" all the time. That's what it seems like.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Great Lakes water levels dropping again | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ

Old 05-12-2010, 11:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
People really need to learn how to conserve water, and have a better water management system. I live in a desert and there's plenty of water here. I still conserve water ridiculously though, as a force of habit. I always conserved water when I lived in Minnesota.

We only get ~8" of rain a year. Last year, Phoenix got like only 3" of rain. So uhm, I don't see how Minnesota can be in a "drought" all the time. That's what it seems like.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. You hear non-stop here "We need the rain!" and it'll still rain 2-3 days a week. It's like how much water do we need? I feel like if people had it their way they would like it to rain everyday all day, and then they'd still say "We could use da' rain"

I used to work in the biz and it's truely remarkable how much water is wasted, especially by giant townhome subdivisions that run a sprinkler system from 4 am - 7am everyday to water large usesless spaces of grass.

Even showering, there really is no need to shower everyday if you're not extremely active.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Oh God I hate that. Paul Douglas et al are the worst at it. There's some cosmic force in Minnesota that will punish us with lousy weather if it's ever too nice.

I think it's the abundant Lutheran guilt here. Same reason we have such ridiculous liquor laws -- we don't want to enjoy anything too much.
Yesterday, 5:00 KSTP News--------they were talking about the lousy ,cold,wet weather, we are having and Dave Dahl says-----" We are paying for the nice April "

Old 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

The climate in MN is totally different then it is in Arizona. Arizona is a dessert and you don't have crops to water and lakes to fill. You are in a perpetual state of "drought" in Arizona. Back in the Dust Bowl in the '30 the plains states didn't look a whole lot different than Arizona. If the midwest continues this dry cycle, the farm economy will collapse and then the rest of the economy will be REALLY bad-way worse than it is now. It isn't about conserving water, it is about irrigating crops and no matter how much water you save in your rain barrel, that is not going to have one bit of difference on how well the crops do. When a state that averages around 30" of "rainfall (including snow if you melt it down to water) gets only about 10-15" year after year, there will be serious consequences.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Oh God I hate that. Paul Douglas et al are the worst at it. There's some cosmic force in Minnesota that will punish us with lousy weather if it's ever too nice.

I think it's the abundant Lutheran guilt here. Same reason we have such ridiculous liquor laws -- we don't want to enjoy anything too much.

Globe, this is your best post ever.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. No, I'm not complaining about the weather, I know there's nothing in my power to control...But it's that 'abundant Lutheran guilt" that you're tallking about - We just had the 5th warmest March-April on Record, and now we're shaping up to have one of the coldest MAYS on record. And all I've been hearing is "Well, our March and April were so nice I guess this is what we should expect"

Old 05-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Globe, this is your best post ever.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. No, I'm not complaining about the weather, I know there's nothing in my power to control...But it's that 'abundant Lutheran guilt" that you're tallking about - We just had the 5th warmest March-April on Record, and now we're shaping up to have one of the coldest MAYS on record. And all I've been hearing is "Well, our March and April were so nice I guess this is what we should expect"
Extended forecast shows 80's next week, that will offset these past 10 days.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Extended forecast shows 80's next week, that will offset these past 10 days.

So, these abnormially days mean nothing because 'we offset it?'

Exactly what I'm talking about. Like we should be greatful for decent weather we get, and anything that's better than usual isn't a bonus, it's just making up for the crap we've had.

I don't like that we're getting 80s next week. So when it's back to 50s and cloudy and gray around May 29th (like it always is around Memorial Day) you can say "Well at least we had 80s frmo May 17-May 21!!!"

Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

So, these abnormially days mean nothing because 'we offset it?'

Exactly what I'm talking about. Like we should be greatful for decent weather we get, and anything that's better than usual isn't a bonus, it's just making up for the crap we've had.

I don't like that we're getting 80s next week. So when it's back to 50s and cloudy and gray around May 29th (like it always is around Memorial Day) you can say "Well at least we had 80s frmo May 17-May 21!!!"
Then move to a place that has perfect weather 365 days/year, if you can find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul