Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best Twin Cities suburb?
Bloomington 24 21.43%
Plymouth 8 7.14%
Brooklyn Park 4 3.57%
Eagan 6 5.36%
Coon Rapids 4 3.57%
Maple Grove 8 7.14%
Eden Prairie 9 8.04%
Burnsville 1 0.89%
Woodbury 15 13.39%
Blaine 2 1.79%
Lakeville 2 1.79%
Minnetonka 21 18.75%
Apple Valley 8 7.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:45 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,262,324 times

Advertisements

I certainly don't have a dislike of suburbia in general but I do dislike the ones on the list. They are all the largest, most sprawling suburbs and I couldn't see myself living in any of them. Hell, of the 13 suburbs listed only one is in the east metro and that one (woodbury) is the worst of all the east metro suburbs. Life does exist over here on the other side of the Mississippi, people. If I had to move out of Saint Paul there are five or six burbs I'd take over here than all those listed.

I don't go to the west metro a lot but from what I've gathered, Hopkins, St Louis Park, and Excelsior are all better than the listed burbs, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,147,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I certainly don't have a dislike of suburbia in general but I do dislike the ones on the list. They are all the largest, most sprawling suburbs and I couldn't see myself living in any of them. Hell, of the 13 suburbs listed only one is in the east metro and that one (woodbury) is the worst of all the east metro suburbs. Life does exist over here on the other side of the Mississippi, people. If I had to move out of Saint Paul there are five or six burbs I'd take over here than all those listed.

I don't go to the west metro a lot but from what I've gathered, Hopkins, St Louis Park, and Excelsior are all better than the listed burbs, too.
I have to agree and I like the suburbs, just none of the ones listed are my favorites.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,082,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post

Difference of opinions, here--

there are very few places I would live in the East Metro, outside of St. Paul. Roseville or Falcon Heights, maybe....but that is about it....

Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,772,492 times
SLP - but you guys knew that.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,915,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I loved living in east Bloomington. When I first moved into my apartment, I could walk to the grocery store, walk to a Subway, walk to a pizza place, walk to the MN River Valley, and walk just down the road to the Met Center to watch the North Stars.

Of course, Bloomington is a tremendously varied suburb, and I'm talking about back in 1988-1989.
Knew this area well as I grew up near Running Park. I remember Humpty Dumpty. Time Drug, the spooky "mansion" and taking pop bottles to the bar (?) at the corner of Old Shak and Cedar Ave. Fun times down at the river bottoms for sure!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,408,645 times
I love Woodland and Deephaven.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,328 times
Default East Bloomington, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Knew this area well as I grew up near Running Park. I remember Humpty Dumpty. Time Drug, the spooky "mansion" and taking pop bottles to the bar (?) at the corner of Old Shak and Cedar Ave. Fun times down at the river bottoms for sure!
Ghengis: Always nice to hear from someone from east Bloomington. I also grew up there and remember Time Drug, Humpty Dumpty store and the "spooky" mansion (assume you're referring to the old house that was down old Cedar Ave?). Spent majority of my youth at playing at Running Park ("box hockey" and baseball in summer and ice skating & sliding down "devil's hill" in winter). I was oldest of 8 kids ... so our mother really liked Running Park being so close!

Just out of curiosity, which elementary school did you attend? We originally lived near Cedarcrest but we moved a short distance and I actually attended Indian Mounds Elementary. I assume you'd agree with me if I were to say, "All the way with JFK!"

Would enjoy hearing from you if you read this post.

Regards, Michael in Minnesota

Old 08-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,841,415 times
I love Every Day I Need Attention (EDINA), why can't I select this?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,915,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Minnesota View Post
Ghengis: Always nice to hear from someone from east Bloomington. I also grew up there and remember Time Drug, Humpty Dumpty store and the "spooky" mansion (assume you're referring to the old house that was down old Cedar Ave?). Spent majority of my youth at playing at Running Park ("box hockey" and baseball in summer and ice skating & sliding down "devil's hill" in winter). I was oldest of 8 kids ... so our mother really liked Running Park being so close!

Just out of curiosity, which elementary school did you attend? We originally lived near Cedarcrest but we moved a short distance and I actually attended Indian Mounds Elementary. I assume you'd agree with me if I were to say, "All the way with JFK!"

Would enjoy hearing from you if you read this post.

Regards, Michael in Minnesota
Went to Indian Mounds from 2nd thru 6th...
Don't know if I'll get the order right but here goes...
Mrs Vance (was here the day Kennedy was shot)
Miss Johnson (she might have been at Bloomington Elementary for 1st grade)
Miss Lewis
Mrs Snyder
Miss Shaw

edit- Miss Johnson was at Bloom Elementary, I think Mrs Zervas was my 2nd grade teacher at IM, everyone else moves down one.

how's that for a memory, wish I could remember the stuff that happened yesterday tho...

Last edited by Ghengis; 08-15-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,045,701 times
Hmmm, Out of those listed ill go with Bloomington. Some of my favorite are St Louis Park and White Bear Lake. I was also born in St. Louis Park
Im going to vote for Bloomington, I usually don't care for suburbs in general, but theres always some that are cool and unique such as White Bear Lake. I also love Hopkins and Stillwater, even though people always discuss whether or not Stillwater is a suburb.

Eden Prairie? Minnetonka? Plymouth? Maple Grove? No thanks, Im also most familiar with the western part of the metro and most of the time when I am in the Twin Cities its in the western part, and back when I had braces on my orthodontist was in Plymouth and I was driving there every couple weeks. There not bad or crime ridden, just generic and sprawly and plain and boring, and also not very unique. Id almost say St. Cloud is better then the western suburbs though its much farther away from my favorite areas in the Twin Cities and the Twin Cities in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul