Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,976,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Winter does last 7 months! We usually get snow on the ground at some point 3 out of 5 October’s. March ’10 was unusual, but it’s usually the snowiest month. We don’t have spring until May. October – April (7 months).

I remember a few May’s 15+ years ago, I was wearing a wool hat & gloves at little league games, in May. Not that there was snow on the ground, but it must’ve been around 30 or 40 degrees… in MAY!
If your definition of winter is any month in which it occasionally gets into the 30s or 40s then the Twin Cities winter is at least nine months long.

That's a rather silly definition of winter, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,648,616 times
Quote:
Winter does last 7 months! We usually get snow on the ground at some point 3 out of 5 October’s. March ’10 was unusual, but it’s usually the snowiest month. We don’t have spring until May. October – April (7 months).

I remember a few May’s 15+ years ago, I was wearing a wool hat & gloves at little league games, in May. Not that there was snow on the ground, but it must’ve been around 30 or 40 degrees… in MAY!
Yeah, and I remember on St. Patty's day in 07' we grilled in our backyard and played catch with the football in our T's and Shorts.

And Snow doesn't = Winter. If you're talking actual seasons, winter solstice isn't even until December 21 or 22 and Spring begins March 21, with the equinox. That's 3 months.

If you're talking about 'cold' weather, you need to get over the fact that in general, it's just cold here. 45 average in MPLS year round. Colder outstate. So, when we get temps like 30-40 it's not that weird, it is what it is. I certainly wouldnt count October OR November as 'winter' months. They are definitely fall (Wind patterns, sunsets/sunrises, and storms) and I wouldn't count March or April as winter either, they are definitely Spring months (precipitation, growth, and high pressure systems)

October is usually nice. And your stats are skewed. "March is the snowiest month"... That's true, but there should be a ** by it. Because MOST snowfall in March doesn't accumulate and when it does it lasts for less than 48 hours.

And why are you so shocked at 40 degrees in May. The Year Round average temp in Minnesota is 45. That's what you need to accept and understand. That we are located in a center of a continent, in the northern hemisphere, south of Hudson Bay. We're going to have cold weather.

But to say "We have winter for 7 Months" is just stupid.

I was at a Twins game April 17 and I got sun burned. I also played football in our backyard with my family on Turkey Day 09' in T shirts and shorts. Hmm Nov. 26- April 17 sure isn't 7 months~

Your little annectodal or ironic stories do nothing. My mom has pictures of us in T shirts and no snow on Christmas. My mom also has pictures of a snowfall in June when she was a kid. My birthday is in the first week of April. I've had anywhere from snow and slush to 80s and sun. Heck, I've even been out on the boat for my birthday, and I've also had to snowblow on my birthday.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,650,340 times
Quote:

I would not really consider April or October as winter though. Sure we can get some cold snaps and snow once in a while that melts right away during those months, but April the grass is green, the flowers are up and the trees are leafing out. It has been in the 60's and 70's much of April this year. Granted that is a little warmer than usual, I consider that spring, not winter.
October varies as well. Our average high is 61F in October. I dont really consider that "winter weather either".

Winter to me is December through mid to late March. 5 months at the most.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,650,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Hot and dry. You are kidding. Last July I was cold. It was 61 degrees. July is summer, right?

And some Minnesotans leave and never go back Except for short visits to remind them why they left.
The lowest high temperature for July of 2009 was 65F on July 17th. It was one of two days in the upper 60's during the month. The average high for the month was 79.5F, which is below the normal high of 85F (for southern Minnesota anyway).

Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM

927 posts, read 2,461,279 times
Fair enough, I know I’m living in the wrong city for my weather tastes. But I find it ridiculous when people say, “Oh, winter only lasts 4 months here and it’s not THAT bad.”

Seriously, this place gets colder than Alaska in the winter. It’s bad. We can’t park on the even side of the street because we have so much snow. That’s bad. It most years (not this year) cold temps, snowfall, and slush get dragged out, into end of April.

And for more pointless stories, I remember the second weekend this past October (2009), I had to shovel and brush snow off my car. We had temps in the 20s… in October. That’s fall?!?! And, I went to the Twins game April 16th (it was a Friday night) and I was freezing. Gloves, hoodie, hat & everything. I remember the next day was sunny & unseasonably warm.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM

256 posts, read 663,092 times
Why am I here? I'm the first to admit that I often times think about moving to other states (especially about mid-February). I've visited a lot of city-data boards. In the end, I've realized how good we really have it in this state. Is it for everyone? No. But as much as I love the mountains of Colorado and places like Phoenix during our winter, I don't think I actually would live in those places year-round. As you would find many in those same areas that couldn't imagine living anywhere else. It's just that "feeling" you get when you think of home.

Besides, pretty sure there is nothing better than a summer in MN on the lake, hearing the call of a loon or a wolf howling. I love it.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM

256 posts, read 663,092 times
Quote:
Fair enough, I know I’m living in the wrong city for my weather tastes. But I find it ridiculous when people say, “Oh, winter only lasts 4 months here and it’s not THAT bad.”

Seriously, this place gets colder than Alaska in the winter. It’s bad. We can’t park on the even side of the street because we have so much snow. That’s bad. It most years (not this year) cold temps, snowfall, and slush get dragged out, into end of April.

And for more pointless stories, I remember the second weekend this past October (2009), I had to shovel and brush snow off my car. We had temps in the 20s… in October. That’s fall?!?! And, I went to the Twins game April 16th (it was a Friday night) and I was freezing. Gloves, hoodie, hat & everything. I remember the next day was sunny & unseasonably warm.
I've never seen it, but according to my dad, we have gotten snow in Sept. and snow in June before. It doesn't last long, but every once in a great while, I guess it happens. But always expect cold temps and snow in October. It's not a given, but there is that chance. I have spent many a Halloween with my costume over my snowsuit. It's also not a shocker to see snow showers in May once in a while.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,377,856 times
Quote:

Colder than Alaska? So the actual air temperature dips to less than -82 degrees ACTUAL AIR TEMPERATURE, not wind chill? I don't think so. Compared to Alaska, Minnesota is like Miami Beach.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM

927 posts, read 2,461,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Colder than Alaska? So the actual air temperature dips to less than -82 degrees ACTUAL AIR TEMPERATURE, not wind chill? I don't think so. Compared to Alaska, Minnesota is like Miami Beach.
Yes, colder than Alaska. During the winter, local weather people on the news will joke and say something to the effect of, “Anchorage, Alaska is warmer than we are today.” From the Alaska website: [SIZE=3]The summers may have temperatures reaching into the 90s°F (the low to mid 30s °C), while in the winter, the temperature can fall below −60 °F (-52 °C). [/SIZE]

I have seen MN get below – 65 twice in my life (not including wind-chill). Once in 1996 & 2005. The main reason is because we get the arctic air from northern Canada pushed down at us with the wind patterns.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,377,856 times
Anchorage, along with Juneau, are the warmest areas in Alaska. Interior and northern Alaska are far, far colder than Minnesota. Also, while it might occasionally hit -60 here, it will stay well below -40 for MONTHS in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul