Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:29 AM

74 posts, read 228,526 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the new feedback, tctyranter.

Well, we're back and had a really nice time. The company of course extended the red carpet for us

Stayed at the Chambers in a gorgeous corner suite. I liked the hotel although the location not as much. Then a real estate agent took us around to see some of the houses and neighborhoods we were interested in. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the city, architecture and people. We walked around Uptown, which, I can't remember who'd said this, but something about it reminded me of parts of Brooklyn. Most of the homes in the area weren't really what we were looking for -- mostly older homes (while some quite lovely) and some homes reminded me of the off-campus housing in college (from the outside). I can tell we'll be in Uptown often, but again I didn't see any upscale shopping (in fact, I didn't see any upscale shopping anywhere!).

Then we saw a couple of houses in East Edina (walking to 50th/France). Really nice area, but I thought the prices were outrageous. Plus something about it felt more suburban. Not sure why.

We also went around Linden Hills and I think it's pretty much what we're looking for. Liked the playground and the mini-"downtown." Our toddler had a ball at Wild Rumpus. It seemed walkable. Also, most importantly, there were 2 houses that fit the bill. But the properties are sooo small. I was a little surprised by that.

Last, we saw a section of SLP (east of 100) and thought it was really nice. In fact, one house was spectacular with a nice property. But no side walks and not walkable. I really don't want to have to get into a car every time I want to go out.

Overall, I liked the city (also drove through St. Paul -- very diff. vibe for sure). I think we would be happy there during this period of our lives. So we've decided to continue negotiations with the company. I'm just really scared of the winter and losing my NY support system (no friends, etc.). I hope I don't feel too isolated and that I get to meet some relatable moms quickly. So he were come (maybe)!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Thanks for the update. I LOVE Linden Hills, for all the reasons you mention.

Minneapolis isn't really an upscale shopping kind of place, although there are boutiques tucked in here and there. There is certainly money (and Uptown does have some expensive places, but not of the designer variety; think more along the lines of either local custom-made or more avant garde up and coming local designers); I think you generally need to go to the suburbs (places like the Galleria) for more traditional upscale shopping options.

There are a number of meetup groups for parents (especially mothers) that are really active, and you can also sign up for things like ECFE. If you end up in Linden Hills you'll also probably quickly meet a lot of other parents on your block; the neighborhood is filled with kids, and in my experience, anyway, there's a lot of just hanging out outside and talking to the neighbors as the kids play, the neighbors walk by with their dogs and/or strollers, etc.

Expect your toddler to be forever spoiled by the Wild Rumpus; now whenever we walk past or in a similarly-sized bookstore he asks to see the chickens. My book industry friend says it has a national reputation. It's a pretty amazing place.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Take the little ones to Especially for Children daycare. If you do, I can get you a special tour probably as my wife is a teacher there and that's where I went to pre-kindergarden. It's top notch for local kindergardens.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
As someone who has always been curious about Minneapolis/St. Paul myself as a potential relocation destination I just wanted to say that this was definitely one of the most helpful threads I've ever come across on all of City-Data, and I thank you all for your contributions. What I'm most impressed by is that while you can tell there is sort of that unspoken rivalry between suburbanites/city-dwellers you managed to both chime in to help NYC Mama in a calm and collected manner without beating your chests. Superlative!

I grew up in Scranton, PA and now live in the suburbs of Washington, DC, a city I know doesn't quite feel "right" to me. Minneapolis is on my short-list of cities I'm going to try out next, and just from using the "Bird's Eye View" feature of Bing Maps, coupled with your excellent advice, I've already found many solid areas to start looking at for my eventual apartment search. I'd anticipate moving in about 2-4 years, contingent upon being able to transfer to a different office with my same employer. Looking into the future I'd probably be in my late-20s and would be making a salary of roughly $80,000. I'd most likely be looking to rent a 1-BR apartment, and I think given my criteria (walkable neighborhood, community-oriented atmosphere, proximity to downtown, pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly, etc.) that Uptown would be my best choice. I've also heard that either Loring Park or Dinkytown was the unofficial "Gayborhood", so to speak, of Minneapolis, but I don't recall which one.

NYC Mama, please keep us all updated on your housing search, and let us know what you eventually decide upon. As someone who has always lived in the suburbs I want nothing to do with Maple Grove, Apple Valley, Blaine, etc. (no offense) because I'm tired of having to have my car chained to my hip 24/7.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
I'd say live in the city, perhaps along Washington Ave where some of the best condos are. You may fit right in there and it's still a work-in-progress, so to speak. Not many high-rises, but many many 6-12 story options and lots of arts and entertainment nearby, and likely many new restaurants to follow in the near future. Good stuff, and it's where I'd go if I relocated from a major urban center.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
Where ever you end up make sure you sign up for the ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education) program. It is a great place to meet families with kids the same age.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 PM

74 posts, read 228,526 times
Uptown, you always know what to say. Thank you! I'll PM you for the meet up groups you mentioned.

I'll look into the ECFE that everyone has mentioned. I guess there are individual ones for each neighborhood?

RestonRunner, yes this has been an extremely helpful thread. It has seriously taken me from "I don't know anything about MPLS. I'm scared!" to "I could move here. I liked these neighborhoods, and these things to do there." Honestly, I don't think I knew as much where we live now as I do about MPLS. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:28 PM

27 posts, read 45,311 times
Where did you end up. I wouldn't leave NYC if I didn't have to. But Good Luck.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 AM

256 posts, read 586,106 times
You could look at the Lake Nokomis neighborhood. It's cheaper than the chain of lakes towards the west, and Lake Nokomis is really a very nice lake.

Minnhaha Creek is very nice, but a bit pricey, I don't know your budget.

I would have liked Nicollet Island, but it was more than I wanted to spend.

Coming from NYC, the city might be more familiar with the suburbs, with more available with less driving.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:32 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Mama View Post
Uptown, you always know what to say. Thank you! I'll PM you for the meet up groups you mentioned.

I'll look into the ECFE that everyone has mentioned. I guess there are individual ones for each neighborhood?

RestonRunner, yes this has been an extremely helpful thread. It has seriously taken me from "I don't know anything about MPLS. I'm scared!" to "I could move here. I liked these neighborhoods, and these things to do there." Honestly, I don't think I knew as much where we live now as I do about MPLS. Good luck with your move.

ECFE is run through the school districts so each school district will have their own programs at whatever place (usually a school in the district). The class information can be found online for most programs or often it comes out in the Park and Rec booklets sent out (at least that is how it has been done in all the places we have lived).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul