U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,233,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
How can you not understand an opportunistic narcissist when you see one?
To whom are you speaking? I think the fact that KG gave the Twin Cities 12 years is good enough. He's well within his rights to move on.

You were probably speaking of Marbury, tho. And yeah, he'd fit that description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,464,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I think they made one good short-term effort by bringing in Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell, and the Wolves made a good run that year, but that was only one year out of what ... 12?

Part of me wishes that Stephon Marbury could have stuck around so he and KG could have been a career team, but Marbury's behavior later in his career makes me rather glad he didn't stay. Heck, the fact that he left was something I've never understood.

Good riddance to Garnett is what I thought when he left. Along with Kirrbeeeey, KG was one of my first Minnesota Athletes I adored. 1995 I was 10 years old and to me KG was the man, not da kid.

But... As his career went along, and McHale kept being an idiot, I just gave up on the Wolves and Garnett. Garnett was a superstart. He was the first HS Basketball player taken in the draft in a long time. From 1995-2000 he proved he was a star capable of bringing in a ring.

He should have pushed, lobbied and threatened to leave if he didn't get superstars to help him out. Basketball is a game where you have 1 superstar and the other 4 guys are great, and they fill their roles.

The Wolves never did this. Latrelle is a joke, and he was never a good player. Cassell was a smart player, with talent, but not the A-grade talent that KG needed.

KG has now been caught on tape taking tongue-and-cheek jabs at his time in MN. Saying how he should have left earlier and now that he's with Boston he can't believe he stayed in MN so long. Well KG, why didn't you and your agent push to draft a good rookie or make a decent off-season pick up?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 PM

101 posts, read 231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Well KG, why didn't you and your agent push to draft a good rookie or make a decent off-season pick up?
I wouldn't be so hard on KG and it's not like the management of the wolves were trying to draft crappy players. I think the main issue was with Kevin McHale Joe Smith debacle that cost the Wolves 3 or 4 first round draft picks in the early 2000's, which caused the wolves to miss out on developing the young talent that could have really helped KG. KG's large contract made it difficult to bring in decent free agents, so without draft picks there wasn't much the wolves could do. I was glad to see him win a Championship in Boston.

Hopefully the wolves can bring in or develop a star caliber player again and give them a chance to compete. Before Lebron the Cavs sucked and I remember turning down free tickets to Cavs games before Lebron because they were awful, but after he arrived now it's the place to be. I'll still always like college basketball more though.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:22 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,464,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
I wouldn't be so hard on KG and it's not like the management of the wolves were trying to draft crappy players. I think the main issue was with Kevin McHale Joe Smith debacle that cost the Wolves 3 or 4 first round draft picks in the early 2000's, which caused the wolves to miss out on developing the young talent that could have really helped KG. KG's large contract made it difficult to bring in decent free agents, so without draft picks there wasn't much the wolves could do. I was glad to see him win a Championship in Boston.

Hopefully the wolves can bring in or develop a star caliber player again and give them a chance to compete. Before Lebron the Cavs sucked and I remember turning down free tickets to Cavs games before Lebron because they were awful, but after he arrived now it's the place to be. I'll still always like college basketball more though.
I agree with the championship, I was happy for him, he also gave a shout out to Minnesota....

But... i think it's lame that KG has said on multiple occasions how he wished he had left MN earlier and that 'you can't get your youth back', in reference to LeBron wanting to get out and spread his wings...

KG had the organization do anything for him. For Pete's sake he was nicknamed 'The Franchise'. Drafting Wally Szcerbiak and getting Latrelle, Cassell, Terrell, were all worthless moves. They never got KG the tier 2 calibur type guy. He needed a Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Steve Francis, AI, Stephon Marbury, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen type of guy, and the Wolves never got him one. I can't say that KG didn't push hard for help, but he should have pushed harder or at least threatened to leave, because when you are a franchises' baby, you can do whatever you want. Look what the Twins did for Joe Mauer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul