U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NFC game hurts more, 1998 or 2009?
1998 14 58.33%
2009 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 AM

3,900 posts, read 8,661,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The 2009 team was the most talented -- maybe not as much on offense vs. 1998, but that's debatable -- I still voted for 1998 because I never get EMOTIONALLY attached to a game and I honestly felt like the Vikings broke my heart that year! I wanted to cry!!

Yeah I think this thread has kind of been done. First it was a thread to complain about 09''s game, then it turned into a comparison. No poll though with discussion
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM

After thinking for a while, I'm still going with 1998 for these reasons:

- #1 Offense ever that season

- 3Deep, Moss, Carter and Reed were just so exciting to watch

- The game was at the Dome

- 15-1 record

- Atlanta was by far the inferior team to the Vikings. In reality, the Vikes should have stomped Atlanta that game.

- The Gary Anderson missed field goal, his only one from that season!

- The Denny Green Kneel Down

Old 05-21-2010, 09:31 AM

927 posts, read 2,277,775 times
The 98 season hurt more. I thought the Vikes were almost unbeatable that year & I remember thinking Moss was God. I didn’t really expect the 09 Vikes to win against the Saints. I know on paper they were better, but I’ve grown accustom to MN sports teams letting us down.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 AM

8,639 posts, read 13,926,102 times
'98 was worse mainly for two reasons.

1. We were at home in '98 and expected to win.

2. The '98 loss removed expectations and hopes from the '09 game. I think most of us were better prepared for the loss this time.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 14,378,293 times
Kinda pathetic that there is a thread discussing which NFC Championship loss hurt the most.

Not that this thread is pathetic, but pathetic that after nearly 60 years we can't discus which Superbowl victory was the most gratifying.

Maybe the Vikings could learn a thing or two from the Twins.
They have been here nearly 60 years, but unlike the Vikings, have won " the big one "

Oh well, maybe the next 60 years will bring a Superbowl victory.
Then again, maybe not, and we can spend the next 60 years talking how close the Vikings got.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM

8,639 posts, read 13,926,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Then again, maybe not, and we can spend the next 60 years talking how close the Vikings got.
You're right, the next 60 years should bring at least a few superbowl victories for the Los Angeles Vikings

Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Kinda pathetic that there is a thread discussing which NFC Championship loss hurt the most.

Not that this thread is pathetic, but pathetic that after nearly 60 years we can't discus which Superbowl victory was the most gratifying.

Maybe the Vikings could learn a thing or two from the Twins.
They have been here nearly 60 years, but unlike the Vikings, have won " the big one "

EDIT: IT'S ONLY BEEN 50 yrs

I think everybody fails to realize the 1965 Season the Twins had. They made it to the World Series and won over 100 games, and had the best record in FRANCHISE history (pre 1960 move to MPLS)

They choked big time in the World Series, and got worked by Sandy Koufax, who IMO isn't that good of a pitcher, he only really had a few good years. Similar to a Livan Hernandez

Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,287,690 times
Of these choices, 1998 over 2009 in a landslide.

You all must be too young though. The correct answer is 1987. The Vikings come back from 3 strike-team losses and still manage to make the playoffs. They go on the road and kick the snot out of New Orleans. The next week, they do the same thing to Joe Montana's SF 49'ers. I still remember the commentators talking about how San Francisco is a threat to come back, even though they're down by several scores and it's the 2nd half. Yeah, right.

From there, it's on to Washington for the NFC Championship. Leo Lewis scores the only TD for the Vikings. Late in the game, the Vikes are down by 7 and driving for the tying touchdown. On 4th and goal, from around the 5 yard line, Wade Wilson throws a perfect pass to Darren Nelson in the end zone, right in the breadbasket. If he makes that catch, we go into OT, with momentum on our side. FAIL.

---

The Hail Mary game would be on there as well, but I think that wasn't an NFC championship game.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 PM

23,572 posts, read 24,681,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
From there, it's on to Washington for the NFC Championship. Leo Lewis scores the only TD for the Vikings. Late in the game, the Vikes are down by 7 and driving for the tying touchdown. On 4th and goal, from around the 5 yard line, Wade Wilson throws a perfect pass to Darren Nelson in the end zone, right in the breadbasket. If he makes that catch, we go into OT, with momentum on our side. FAIL.

The Hail Mary game would be on there as well, but I think that wasn't an NFC championship game.

Wrong. Revisionist history being "remembered" by a fan looking to blame Disco Darrin.
  • actually 4th and 4 from the 6 or 7.
  • pass didn't make it to the end zone and Nelson had to come back towards the LOS to play it.
  • Anthony Carter ran the wrong route bringing Darrell Green into coverage after Nelson beat his man.
  • No receiver would have caught that pass as Green clearly is there in time to knock the ball away.
Look at the video and you will see that your "memory" is inacurrate. But keep remembering what you want to believe, hell in another 10 years you'll probably say he was wide open in the back of the end-zone trying to catch an underhand shovel pass from 4 feet away with the entire defensive team standing on the side-line.

I'm Sorry, Darrin Nelson - 1987 NFC Championship Game | Twin Cities,
Minnesota Blog

Hail Mary was an NFC Championship Game and Drew Pearson doid not push off, that Klutz Nate Wright fell down trying to play the ball. Viking fan bonks the wrong ref as well.

Last edited by Ghengis; 05-21-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 PM

5,990 posts, read 12,185,286 times
I was 1 in 1987, so I don't really remember that game.

It would have been awesome if we had Favre in 1998. Probably would have won the Super Bowl that year.

Also, Los Angeles Vikings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul