Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:46 PM

21 posts, read 40,162 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I just graduated from college and will be moving to Minneapolis in the middle of August. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on apartments located uptown? I am looking to spend roughly $1,000-$1,200 on a studio, utilities included. Is this a reasonable budget? I can move slightly higher in that figure, but I'd rather not.
Also, Could anyone tell me more about the area? Especially as it relates to meeting people and things to do with your pets?
First, I'll be moving and I need to build a social circle. I do not drink and I will be working, quite considerably. This is why I think that uptown might be a good option for me for its close proximity to people my age. What opportunities are there to make friends? I don't mind going to a jazz club or whatever, but I don't drink heavily.
Also, are there fun things to do with your dogs? I have 2 small dogs and I want to have fun with them. Take them to cookie stores, go for walks on trails, go to the groomers, have a vet close by, etc...

Thanks! Any advice would be much appreciated! I am very excited about starting my adult life in MN and want to start it on the right foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Your budget should be fine, especially for a studio. I'm also a (somewhat) non-drinker, so I'm not in to the whole "bar scene." You can meet people through church, clubs, sports, and the like. My church, The Rock, is in Uptown and I've met a lot of people through there, most of whom live in Uptown or the surrounding areas.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,152 times
your budget is more then enough

Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.
I visited Minneapolis in March and I must say that everyone was very friendly and I did love the city.

Would you know of any apartments in the Uptown area that I should consider? Ones I should avoid?

I was planning on visiting Minneapolis before I move, but I think that I'd rather save my money for furniture. As my current funds are limited (until I start work.)

thanks!

Old 05-29-2010, 10:07 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
You can go way down in your budget if you'd like, or else get something pretty luxurious. You could easily get a studio for $700, even $600.

What kind of apartments do you want? Are you thinking big building, old (lots of vintage buildings around), new (brand new or just modern?), do you want or need parking, etc.?

Lots of people have dogs; you'll probably meet some people just through your daily walks. There are vets in the area, dog groomers, pet stores, etc. It's a pretty dog-friendly place.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
You can go way down in your budget if you'd like, or else get something pretty luxurious. You could easily get a studio for $700, even $600.

What kind of apartments do you want? Are you thinking big building, old (lots of vintage buildings around), new (brand new or just modern?), do you want or need parking, etc.?

Lots of people have dogs; you'll probably meet some people just through your daily walks. There are vets in the area, dog groomers, pet stores, etc. It's a pretty dog-friendly place.
And by doing so means you can put away a lot more money for savings (short term and retirement) and put you in a much more secure financial position then most of your peers will be in .

Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Thanks :)

Quote:

If I could go lower, that would be excellent. As I'd like to put a good amount into my 401K and savings, as well as have some more money to spend on my dogs, going out, planning a vacation, etc...

I am not looking for anything fancy. Just a safe place to live that accepts dogs. I'd like it to be near people my age and close to places I can go out at night, take my dogs to, etc... I would need a place to park my car, as my profession requires travel. Other than that, as long as its safe & clean... I don't care! I do not cook anyway so those stainless steel appliances that I see are a waste on me.
I would like there to be non-carpeted floors, due to my allergies--but that is a want, not a need.

Can you help? Thanks!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:52 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I'm not sure which Uptown apartments rent to pets; the ones I'm familiar with don't. You might have the best luck finding something (studio or 1-BR) in a smaller building; there are a lot of duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes in the area, and many of them seem to accept dogs. A lot of those places put their listings on Craigslist, so I'd start by checking there. Those are also the places that are probably more likely to have some parking available. Hopefully someone else will jump in here with some specific building or management company recommendations, but I think you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a place. It might be slightly easier to get a 1-BR than a studio, although that's just a guess, since so many of the studios are in the bigger buildings that aren't as dog-friendly.

I know some of the higher-end new apartments in the area (Murals of Lyn-Lake on Lyndale comes to mind) take dogs, but those would be at the high end of the budget, and definitely cost more than most places in the area. I think you can go far cheaper (but still safe and clean), but am just mentioning that just in case and as an FYI.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Default Thanks

Yeah, I have noticed that high-end apartments tend to be more pet friendly--which is why i am looking into them.
Do you know anything about Murals at Lynlake? I have been looking into them. Also, Blue--do you know anything about Blue?
My dogs are my number one concern. I want them to be happy. So, while i'd rather save money-- the dogs take priority. I'm making a good amount that I can still save, even on that budget.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,974 times
I would suggest aparment websites (apartments.com or apartmentfinder.com) - gives you an idea of price, ammenities, and ususally pet rent. That said, not ALL apartments are listed there, but it is a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul