U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,096 times

Advertisements

My fiance, 2 year old son, dog, cat, me and baby on the way will be making our way to the Minneapolis/St Paul area from Chicago at the end of August. We will be staying with friends for a little while as we search around for an apartment. I'm trying to do a little research before hand though to narrow down where we look. Our friends live in St. Paul and we would like to live near that area (within 30 minutes). Safety is on the top of our list and we wouldn't mind living in a diverse neighborhood. The neighborhood we live in right now is incredibly diverse with over 90 languages spoken! Thank you so much!

PS... also my fiance is in search of a job right now. He will be assisting our friend with his business, but would like to find something a little more permanent. He is currently looking for employment at animal hospitals. If you know of any great suggestions, please let us know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:29 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Do you want to live in the city or the suburbs?

If you want the burbs, then Woodbury is near St. Paul and is safe and fairly diverse, as are Eagan, Burnsville, and Apple Valley.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,016,417 times
I'm not sure I'd qualify any of those suburbs as being diverse, and I'm not sure why they'd be recommended considering how many actual diverse/ safe areas there are in both the core cities and suburbs.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Burnsville is very diverse. It's only 78.8% (non-Hispanic) white, which leaves 21.2% minorities. That's almost as diverse as Minneapolis proper. The only TC suburbs that are more diverse are Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park, and those aren't the best areas to live. Apple Valley, Woodbury and Eagan have minority populations approaching 10%, which is still very diverse by suburban standards.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:44 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,410,475 times
What else do you want from a neighborhood? That will help you get more targeted suggestions; frankly, those suburbs would never cross my mind as being "diverse", although it's true that they're not all English-speaking white people, and if you want modern suburbia they might be of interest, as they are safe and within 30 minutes of St. Paul. Within the parameters of safe, diverse, and within 30 minutes of St. Paul what would you prefer? Budget? Type of neighborhood? Type of house or building? Budget? Are you also looking for suggestions of neighborhoods within St. Paul itself? (or in the nearby Minneapolis neighborhoods)?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,016,417 times
I wasn't aware Burnsville was that diverse and am a little surprised by that- I know that Eagan has a growing amount of diversity, but not any moreso than Bloomington and a lot less than Richfield, both of which would be closer to St. Paul than Apple Valley or Burnsville. And I would argue that by most people's standards, Brooklyn Center and Park are both decent places to live- B.P. especially is a primarily a middle-class suburb with the exception of some apt complexes.

Mpls is about 62.5% white non-Hispanic, not sure what St. Paul's demographics are off-hand. But it's more diverse and there are plenty of safe neighborhoods in both.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM

30 posts, read 52,507 times
I'm interested to see what the replies are for the actual neighborhoods being recommended. My fiancee, 3 small dogs and 8 month old have 11 months to find an affordable apartment in a safe place. So far, we're considering Mounds View.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 53,968,055 times
See, the problem here is when you use the term "diverse" too many people define that as "no white people, only minorities", if you define it by it's true meaning "different", you can find a lot of diversity everywhere in the metro. If you take the 2 blocks around our house--so that is about 14 houses total, 5 of those houses have families from other countries-that is pretty diverse in my book (especially since none of those 5 are from the same country). My neighborhood is extremely safe.

I think instead of finding a place to live right now, find the job and then narrow down your search from there. Mounds View is a nice area but what if your job ends up being in Lakeville? That is a heck of a commute.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 AM

6,449 posts, read 12,698,149 times
I agree with Golfgal in the sense that the term "diverse" is very subjective...it really comes down to individual opinion and preference. Of course the city will have more diversity overall than most of the suburbs but there are blocks and full neighborhoods in Minneapolis and St. Paul that are completely white or black and there are parts of suburbs that are highly diverse...totally depends where you're looking. My current block in south Minneapolis is about equal between whites, blacks and Latinos with some Somalis and Middle Easterners (very diverse in my opinion). When I was in Eagan my block was about 80% white and 20% black. My parents' block in Ramsey is currently 100% white, there used to be a black family and Hispanic family there who have since moved away.

Overall I would say that diversity is greatest in Minneapolis and St. Paul propers, then gets more and more white the further you go out into the outer suburbs. This is just my own personal opinion but overall if you take away a few of the inner suburbs like Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Richfield, West St. Paul and maybe Columbia Heights I wouldn't consider the suburbs very diverse, but again, that's just my own take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul