Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Pretty sure the 'Mayo' doesn't draw 3.5 million people a year.
lol - you sure like comparing apples to oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
lol - you sure like comparing apples to oranges.
lol, .

I currently live in Duluth, and have never been to Rochester. I always thought Rochester was a cool town though, from pictures are research. Plus the rapid growth there is great...

Duluth needs to do what everything Rochester is doing in terms of creating and sustaining jobs and Rochester needs Duluth's scenery and asthetic appeal..

Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 PM

100 posts, read 253,485 times
Quote:
And as far as well known, you do realize people from all over the world come to Mayo - so when some major king or prince or president of another country comes here, it's world-wide news. I still don't think the lift bridge is as big of a draw as others think it is, and I am entitled to that opinion, no matter how rare that particular kind of lift bridge is.
They come to Mayo because the hospital is good, not because they want to take a tour around Rochester. I do agree that Rochester has a draw and fame due to the hospital, but its not like people are dying to go to Rochester. Rochester is a great city but its not a tourist town with Canal Park, a lift bridge, historic neighborhoods and downtown, a hub for northern Minnesota etc... That doesn't make Duluth better though; it simply is a tourist town. It's like comparing Dallas and Las Vegas. Dallas is a more influential town globally than Vegas but Vegas has millions of people going there each year that would never go to Dallas. It doesn't make Dallas an inferior town though.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
They come to Mayo because the hospital is good, not because they want to take a tour around Rochester. I do agree that Rochester has a draw and fame due to the hospital, but its not like people are dying to go to Rochester. Rochester is a great city but its not a tourist town with Canal Park, a lift bridge, historic neighborhoods and downtown, a hub for northern Minnesota etc... That doesn't make Duluth better though; it simply is a tourist town. It's like comparing Dallas and Las Vegas. Dallas is a more influential town globally than Vegas but Vegas has millions of people going there each year that would never go to Dallas. It doesn't make Dallas an inferior town though.

You better watch what you're saying.... Is that an intended pun? LOL

Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
I like your post... I think a better example is San Fran and San Jose.

Duluth is like San Francisco - Older, Port Town, weird weather

Rochester is like San Jose - a niche community that thrives off of IMB and Mayo

Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM

100 posts, read 253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
You better watch what you're saying.... Is that an intended pun? LOL

no pun intended

I do like your comparison too.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:00 PM

hence my comment on comparing apples to oranges. Duluth is about tourism and Rochester is not - you can't determine one over the other as to which is more known. It's all a matter of opinion and whether or not you want to go out and interview every person on earth to find out. I have met people in Rochester who have had no idea where Duluth was let alone that it was in Minnesota.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
hence my comment on comparing apples to oranges. Duluth is about tourism and Rochester is not - you can't determine one over the other as to which is more known. It's all a matter of opinion and whether or not you want to go out and interview every person on earth to find out. I have met people in Rochester who have had no idea where Duluth was let alone that it was in Minnesota.
It's in Georgia.

Duluth, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM

Exactly!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,619 times
1. Which city do you like more??
Duluth
2. Which city has a brighter future??
Rochester, although tourism is helping duluth turn around
3. What are some major differences between the two cities??
Rochester is much more wealthy while duluth has many more attractions and natural beauty
4. Which city has better neighborhoods??
Rochester is better looking but duluth has much more history and much more distinct, not the run of the mill picket fence-esq type of thing
5. Which city has a better downtown??
Duluth hands down
6. Which city is prettier? (Nature and man made)
Duluth, rochester is out in the flat fields
7. Which is more recognizable on a regional (midwest) and national scale?
Rochester has mayo but Duluth has one of the buisiest and most well know ports in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota