U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,186 times

Advertisements

I was curious if anyone has anything they know about Mankato? I have an opportuinity there and wanted to hear everything I could about it. It seems like a very small town, I am wondering what kinds of stores do they have and what sorts of entertainment is there. Also what are the people like.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 03:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 56,582,990 times
I guess it depends on what you consider a small town--it is about 50,000 people so not tiny by any means. It has everything you would need there. The Vikings do their training camp there even. There is a pretty active night life with the colleges/universities there. Mankato is a great place especially if you want to have the conveniences of a larger town without living in a major metropolitan area.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 PM

184 posts, read 967,246 times
Mankato doesn't seem small to me. Any town with a University and all of the Big Box stores is no longer small. They may not have Nordstrom, but they are going to have most everything you need.

I'm sure the people are pleasant. As with any town between Chicago and Vegas, you'll need to put forth some effort to meet people, but it being a college town really helps.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 PM

13 posts, read 80,870 times
I went to school there. It's definitely not a small town. It's got a fairly large mall, and just about every well known big box retailer, plus 4 large supermarkets and is the regional commercial hub for the area. Has an excellent bar and entertainment scene too. The local chamber of commerce's slogan is "A little Twin Cities, a lot Minnesota." and that's basically what it is, a place with all the conveniences and amenities of a major city not located in such a place. Be warned though, it definitely also has more of the bad aspects of major cities than most places in outstate Minnesota too. Crime and drugs are definitely up and gangs are moving into the area. The place I lived for my last year there was basically Latin Kings territory. Most of the place is quite safe though, if you want to avoid all that just don't get a place in an area with a large student population, or the "Old Town" district, especially around the Holiday Inn. Everywhere else is very safe and peaceful.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 PM

638 posts, read 2,940,843 times
No one has mentioned health care in Mankato yet; but their hospital is affiliated with Mayo Clinic in Rochester; and the health system is pretty good there too.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,144 times
Smile Wisconsin to MN

Hi
My husband got a job in Fairmont, MN which I feel that there is not much to do there - except water sports - which we love. I am looking for a good mall and entertainment and bars and grills. Do you have any suggestions? How far is it from Fairmont to Mankato, MN?? I thought maybe we could live in between. Does anyone know any good suburbs of Mankato that would not be a long drive to work for my husband to Fairmont?

Old 06-29-2007, 03:56 PM

507 posts, read 1,147,993 times
Well, Mankato dosn't really have any suburbs per se. There are new housing developments on the outskirts of town. I think Farimont is an hour from mankato? Some towns between are Lake Crystal, Madelia, and St. James, but there is not much at all in those towns, so I would probaly live in Fairmont and drive to Mankato if you need more to do. I dont think Fairmont is that bad though, I think they have a few big stores like Wal-Mart etc. some nice restaurants and a movie theatre. Which might not be a whole lot depending on where youre moving from.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:17 PM

13 posts, read 80,870 times
Mankato has a few commuter towns that could be called suburbs, though those are basically strictly residential now. Your best bet for closeness would probably be Lake Crystal, although this is still about an hour from Fairmont.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 23,685 times
Default Mankato

Mankato is a college town with two major colleges, the state university and a private lutheran college. Its pop. is about 32,000. It has fast food restaurants, mall, walmart, car dealships, a couple of middle schools, two high schools, a ymca, and plenty of retail. My sister-in-law lives there and we like to visit there.

It is hilly, but very pretty in the fall because of all the trees which grow on the hills along the minnesota river.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 AM

333 posts, read 1,527,064 times
For what it's worth, Mankato has the most amazing sledding hill I've ever seen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota