Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Ah, forgive me. Not being facetious!

Minnesota is firmly planted in my heart, even though I cannot live there. I fell in love with the state the first time I flew over it, saw its sparkling beauty, and thought, "Ireland has nothing on this place!" Driving down Cedar, under the continuous living awning of the trees was breath-taking (before Dutch elm disease -- are the elms back?).

Of all those I know who came into Minnesota from other states, they all think back to Minnesota with (really) longing -- others as well, but mainly my first parents-in-law, their children, and even my children (who moved from there at ages 8 and 5).

Sure, we may be romanticizing Minnesota a little, but I don't think so. We lived there with our eyes wide open. Fabulous place, no doubt.

My first husband was a golfer, too, to the point of having orange golf balls for the snow! Do they have golf ball locators for snow yet?
It's funny you mention that because the last couple years we've been out past Thanksgiving, almost golfing into December one year. Of course, the greens will not hold anything because they are rock hard, which would probably explain why a guy like Tom Lehman won the Open Championship playing bump and run golf.

But I must say I've been out there when there was snow on the ground before, no doubt.

Glad you have fond memories of the 'New England of the West.' I refuse to live anywhere else, regardless of my position in life. BTW, I'm doing my Capstone (basically a mini dissertation for my BA) this semester and I am going to establish my thesis on some aspect of history of the state for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times
Very best wishes on your studies!

. . . and your golf game!

Old 07-05-2014, 02:50 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,415 times
I only saw City Beach in Ranier and Park Point Beach in Duluth. My favorite is Park Point Beach.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I'm reluctant to tell because mine is a quiet, sandy and shaded oasis on a small pond and I'd like it to stay that way.

But I will give you a tip for what I think are the best bodies of water for swimming in MN. Those are the many abandoned sand and gravel quarries that exist. They are mined until the companies hit a spring and then they become of little use. Eventually they fill with clean water and trees grow up around them. You have a natural sand bottom and beach and sometimes people will even stock them with game fish. And usually there will be an abundance of wildlife to enjoy while you're there.

If you are lucky enough to know where one of these is and have the owner's permission to use it count yourself lucky indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota