Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,027 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, My girlfriend and I will be moving to MN next summer and we are trying to decide in what area to settle. She is interviewing in Duluth, St. Cloud, the Fargo/Moorehead area and the Minneapolis/St. Paul area (Buffalo/Hastings). I was wondering what people think of these different areas. Cost of living, crime, job market (for me), taxes...things of that nature. We are already prepared for the winters and know what to expect there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM

47 posts, read 108,726 times
Well, The twin cities and its suburbs are a major metro area. So if you like crowds and traffic and many urban activities to do, then that is probably best for you.

Duluth is beautiful with its high hills/cliffs and lake superior. It is a bit breezy there and usually a little cooler year round due to the lake. I believe Duluth is the 2nd largest metro area in the state (maybe Rochester, though). There is a ton of outdoor rec activities to be enjoyed there.

Fargo/Moorehead is more flat terrain and open spaces. It is the least populated of the three areas you mentioned, and probably the quietest and more laid back.

I am not entirely sure about the job market in each place, but I would guess Fargo/Moorehead is doing alright being their close proximity to the Dakotas.

Politically, Fargo/Moorehead is more conservative than Duluth and the Twin Cities. Those two areas are very liberal.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
The places you have mentioned are all over the place for every category you mentioned-helpful I know. You mentioned a job for you but not what you do. Also, what kind of an environment do you like, rural, suburban, urban? The job that you list as Buffalo/Hastings, is that two separate jobs because if not, they are a good hour and a half apart.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks golfgal for the quick response. I am currently working as a airline mechanic, but I know that there will be few opportunities for me to find a job in that field after I move unless we move pretty close to the cities. I will be looking for anything in a maintenance field or possibly teaching since I have done that in the past. We would love to live on a lake, but if not that at least rural to suburban. To answer your last question, yes the Buffalo/Hastings is two seperate jobs, but with the same company. She will have to pick one to interview at and she is still not sure which.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the info DeeDubb. Not the easiest decision to make and I appreciate the feedback I am getting here.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:17 AM

47 posts, read 108,726 times
Oops...forgot to mention anything about St Cloud. It is a pretty good size urban area with a smaller airport. A big college is there plus St Johns University not far away...so it has a good size young crowd from the colleges. And it is only an hour or so from the Twin Cities metro area.

It is right on the Mississippi River, and if you visit there you must see Muntsinger Gardens right across the river from St Cloud State University.

I believe the job market at St Cloud is doing relatively well.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilkc View Post
and the Minneapolis/St. Paul area (Buffalo/Hastings). I was wondering what people think of these different areas. Cost of living,
Im confused here, are you looking into Minneapolis and/or St. Paul or are you looking into just Buffalo and Hastings? Buffalo and hastings are way on opposite ends of the metro just about, Buffalo really isn't part of the Twin Cities, there is still a good amount of country in between there and Plymouth. Buffalo is cool though if you like fairly small towns and Buffalo has some cool lakes also and a cool little downtown area. Theres also Walmart Supercenter and Target and 2 grocery stores(Cub Foods and Coborns). I know NOTHING about Hastings.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Im confused here, are you looking into Minneapolis and/or St. Paul or are you looking into just Buffalo and Hastings? Buffalo and hastings are way on opposite ends of the metro just about, Buffalo really isn't part of the Twin Cities, there is still a good amount of country in between there and Plymouth. Buffalo is cool though if you like fairly small towns and Buffalo has some cool lakes also and a cool little downtown area. Theres also Walmart Supercenter and Target and 2 grocery stores(Cub Foods and Coborns). I know NOTHING about Hastings.
He said the Buffalo and Hastings jobs are two separate jobs. Hastings to the MSP airport is a very easy commute for you if you want to stay in airline mechanics.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Yea I was just going to say that. If you want to live close to an international airport and want an airline job, Hastings is clearly the best choice although I am unfamiliar with the Fargo area which may have a decent sized airport (I don't know).

Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,575 times
Despite their never-ending PR campaign to the contrary, Fargo/Moorhead is one of the most desolate (in all meanings of the word) places on earth. You're better off sticking with the southern half of Minnesota. Slightly warmer weather, many more things to do and way more job opportunities. Can you tell I live up north? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota