Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Minnesota is a Great Plains state or an Upper Midwest state?
Upper Midwest 73 92.41%
Great Plains 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:50 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
Great Plains is more of a topographic term, and yes, the southwestern part of the state, pretty much SW of Mankato, is definitely part of the Great Plains.

Upper Midwest is more of a geographic term, describing a vague area of the north central United States. I've always sort of struggled with the definition of the term "Midwest" simply because we're basically in the central part of the US and the North American continent.

We're also technically a Great Lakes state, since we have a large portion of shoreline on Lake Superior, and part of the Lake is technically within the boundaries of Minnesota, and we have the farthest inland ocean port in the US (and I think the world) in Duluth, but Minnesota isn't usually considered a Great Lakes state like Michigan or Ohio.

The really odd definition would be the Northwest, which isn't used much anymore (especially since NWA merged with Delta). That would date back to the founding of the US, when the part of MN that was part of the original United States was the Northwest Territory.
As late as the early 1980s the WCCO news station would refer to themselves as the "Northwest News Leader." This was part of the opening sequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:49 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,474,724 times
This Wikipedia article has a map. On the map, the plains start at the Minnesota-North Dakota boundary.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eat_Plains.png

Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM

192 posts, read 450,891 times
Minnesota is a GREAT LAKES state. Final. Like the Rocky Mountains or west or eat coasts the Great Lakes are the defining geographical feature of our area. It may seem funny to people inland in Minnesota, such as in the twin cities but it's true. So I say neither and have always known Minnesota as a very unique place, a Great Lakes state.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
As late as the early 1980s the WCCO news station would refer to themselves as the "Northwest News Leader." This was part of the opening sequence.
that was done in order to better relate to their core listening audience that could still recollect how this region came to be with the Louisiana Purchase

Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
Minnesota is a GREAT LAKES state. Final. Like the Rocky Mountains or west or eat coasts the Great Lakes are the defining geographical feature of our area. It may seem funny to people inland in Minnesota, such as in the twin cities but it's true. So I say neither and have always known Minnesota as a very unique place, a Great Lakes state.
I tend to agree. Even though only a small portion of the state is close to the lake, arguably the state's internal geography is similar to that of Wisconsin and Michigan, having large amounts of small internal lakes. Also, the state is not completely flat nor treeless. In contrast, when you look at the Great Plains states, they tend to have few trees, few significant lakes, and are pretty flat.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
The state is part of the U.S. region known as the upper mid-west and it's part of the Great Lakes Region of North America.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 AM

993 posts, read 1,766,653 times
Coming from South Dakota, an actual Great Plains state, I can say without a doubt Minnesota is not a Great Plains state. It may be sort of "flat" in Southern Minnesota, but it is nothing like the prairie across South Dakota.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:13 PM

43 posts, read 76,324 times
a little of both I guess and culturally I'd say its great lakes.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM

142 posts, read 120,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
What a ridiculous idea that it is one or the other.

Minnesota is indeed a Great Lakes state, by definition. It is also a Great Plains state, by definition. And a Midwestern state, by definition. I'm sure it falls into numerous other categories, too.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
"Upper Midwest" is pretty much synonymous with Minnesota and Wisconsin, so I voted as such.

I would say a lot of Minnesota, however, lies in the Great Plains. In terms of politics (and by extension I would dare to say general culture), Southwestern Minnesota may have a lot more in common with Eastern South Dakota or Nebraska than it does with Northeastern Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota