Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 PM

247 posts, read 573,944 times

Advertisements

We want to move to minnesota from Montana... I left minnesota as a young child, seven years old in march of nineteen eighty... my lifelong dream has been to move back there someday... I have visited there many many times, and as A long haul trucker been through Minnesota more times than I can count....I grew up in a homeless family starting in march of 1980, and never lived in a house untill 2000. In february of 1991 my girlfriend and I talked about our dreams I was 18 and she was 16, we were both homeless and living in a camp in the imperial valley of california... She and I ran away together and Now at the age of 37, that girl and I have been married 18 years and have a 15 year old son and adopted twin baby girls that are now almost four... And my dream is still the same I want to move back home.... Minnesota is the only place in my mind I have zero Bad Memories.... Im just nervous about doing the right thing and wondering if we should move our son, him being in highschool and all... Montana is ok but we want more out of life then a small house in town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 05:49 AM

64 posts, read 222,393 times
I would talk things over with your son. he is only 3 years away from being an adult. he may be on board with a move now or may want to strike out on his own at 18 and allow you to move. he may also want to move with you but on his own as well at 18.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:52 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,301,940 times
Do you honestly think that a bunch of strangers on an internet forum should be the ones providing you with this kind of advice? How can you possibly expect us to provide you with valuable feedback on this subject. This is a major life decision you're making....I'm not even going to attempt to tell you either way by going off the small paragraph you provided to describe the situation.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,833,710 times
Slig's kinda right, I mean I can offer personal experience and you can see if that helps?

I moved around a LOT from the ages of 7 to 10 and some schools it was incredibly easy to meet new people and make friends, but I had trouble with only 1 school and it wasn't easy or fun at all. I don't know how much of a social cat your son is but if he gets along well with people or is easy to talk to then he can survive pretty much anywhere. Plus, it's not all that different than going to college, if that's a choice you support...

Old 09-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,043,593 times
Im currently a senior in high school, i've been to 4 high schools, one 9thgrade, one 10th grade, an online school in 11th grade, now back to a different high school for my senior year. Four different high schools, hard to switch, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It wasn't that bad for me personally, but for others it might be pretty hard. The first move was the hardest, after that it was pretty easy for me.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:27 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,833,710 times
As a highschooler, Radical_Car, are you planning on seeking a major/minor in City & Regional Planning in college? Or is this just a hobby/interest for you? I ask because I find it difficult to make a career out of our interest in urban studies so I personally went the Business route with a MINOR in C&RP.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
No im not. Being at City Data is just something I like to do.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,416 times
I would say to wait until he grads to move, but speak with him first if he would like to go to school in MN then moving now would be ok. However i would see the benefit of moving before your daughters start school would be ideal too. you really need to weigh opinions of your family.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,396,665 times
I'll speak from the perspective of your son. I've been in his shoes. Now that your son is a teenager, it may be a tougher adjustment NOW than if he were in elementary school. I would let his feelings weigh heavily on your decision. He's not a child anymore, he's a young man. I would sit down and lay it all out for him. Don't tell him "It's all up to you" or anything like that, but just be clear about your dream to move to Minnesota. Don't tell him about the three year thing right away. Just ask him about how he would feel moving to Minnesota, then weigh his reaction. If he is really enjoying his school and is very attached and has good friends, then at this point, I think he deserves the opportunity to finish up where he is, honestly. But, if on the other hand, he's not all that attached, and is actually excited and curious at the prospect of Minnesota, then that's another story.
And another thing - it sounds very much to me as if it is your dream to retire in Minnesota. If that is the case, AND there are no really good job offers on the line at the present moment or anything like that... then three years is not a long wait at all, IMO. I think that is a big thing to take into consideration if your son ends up being opposed. (It doesn't really sound like you've talked to him yet.)
And assuming you wait the three years, your daughters will only be seven, and that's a fine age to move. I moved around when I was little and I didn't mind. It was an adventure. I didn't have any concept at the time of the sentimentality of going all the way through school with my peers and graduating with one class. It was only the last move, as a teen, that was hard.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:56 PM

IMO the first move was hard for me, went to the same school district from kindergarten to 9th grade, moved before 10th grade and that was the hardest though I made new friends and was fine after that. Facebook really helps to communicate with old friends too which is great and something they didnt have 20 years ago. Then I did an online high school(which I don't reccommend) for my junior year and now im in a different high school for my senior year, which was an easy transition. Again I didn't know anyone when I started but ive already made friends and such and its going very well. It'll be even easier for me to adjust going to college now with tons of people I don't know, which is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota