U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 1,838 times

Advertisements

I believe the Duluth paper endorsed Oberstar's opponent, though.

I believe a newspaper's endorsement and 25 cents will get you coffee at Ma and Pa's Kettle in Cameron Missouri.

I doubt it brings any new votes or changes people's minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM

1,635 posts, read 922,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anvrdq View Post
I doubt it brings any new votes or changes people's minds.
By now, most people have tuned out from campaign ads despite their continuous blare on all available media. I just read a statistic, that Congressional races have spent $1 BILLION this year!!! Imagine what useful work they could do with all that money, that nowadays gets siphoned off into worthless television noise.

Oh, BTW - 200th post!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM

706 posts, read 619,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Oberstar has done a great job for MN, but all things come to an end. I can no longer see my self voting for him.

BoBo the clown promised us change and I promised him change too, in the form of my vote.
Out with the old in with the new.

I've become an independent.
Snofarmer.....you read my mind.

I think Oberstar has done a decent job for us....but his time is past and our framers never intended for this job to be a career....but rather a short interlude (a couple terms maybe ) into the lifetime of a person. I am NOT for term limits....but I honestly don't see why voters don't vote as though there were term limits. We'd all be better off and Washington would much more closely represent the thinking of regular citizens.

I used to think Oberstar was a bit above the frey of negative ads. His ads were usually upbeat and told of his accomplishments. However...he's never really had a credible opponent until now.....this time he does (Chip Cravaack) and now we see Oberstar's gone negative too....big time. So I guess he's no better than the rest of them unfortunately.

The negative ads are absolutely disheartening to me. They turn my stomach more ever election cycle. I don't know how much more of these negative ads Americans can take before literally tuning out of politics and just not even voting.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it's a race to the bottom with negative ads. When all your politicians are just telling you how bad their oponents are and rarely even mentioning themselves other than the mandated message "I'm joe blow and I approved this ad"....it's not a real stretch to figure out how you could disenfranchise potential voters since all they have heard is now terrible both candidates are.

We're in a sorry state of affairs and it just seems to get worse ever election......."Win at all costs" seems to be the mantra that many if not most of our elected officials subscribe to. If they keep "winning" this way it will be the downfall of our country someday soon.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,515,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
The negative ads are absolutely disheartening to me. They turn my stomach more ever election cycle. I don't know how much more of these negative ads Americans can take before literally tuning out of politics and just not even voting.
I'm at that point now. I'm starting to think that a purely random lottery for governor would bring better results.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 AM

2,654 posts, read 3,640,361 times
his projected odds of winning went from the upper 90s to 82%

Im sure he is very nervous

Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 AM

3,870 posts, read 5,333,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
By now, most people have tuned out from campaign ads despite their continuous blare on all available media. I just read a statistic, that Congressional races have spent $1 BILLION this year!!! Imagine what useful work they could do with all that money, that nowadays gets siphoned off into worthless television noise.

Oh, BTW - 200th post!
I think the spending on "worthless television noise" did more to stimulate the economy than the stimulus bill did.
It put money in the local economys, print shops, advertisers all directly benefited and so did the service industry

Old 11-03-2010, 06:55 AM

Cravaack Shocks Oberstar in 8th District Race.

wow.

Minnesota Public Radio are reporting that Oberstar fell by only 4,000 votes, less than 2 percentage points.

It's a new day for MN.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 AM

1,669 posts, read 3,880,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
in trouble my *****. Oberstar will win with at least a 10 point margin.
Quote:
fivethirtyeight gives oberstar a 94.7% chance of winning.
Quote:
yeah im sure oberstar will really consider himself the loser when he heads back to washington for another term.
Quote:

im sure he is very nervous
Oberstar is out.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,438,434 times
Quote:

Im sure he is very nervous
Well, SHOCKER of all races-he LOST after 4 decades. Most surprising race in the state this year.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM

The Duluth news tribune has noberstar on the font page as the winner.

I'm not surprised as they are very biased and our mayor is a noberstar want-a-be
It would be nice to see some unbiased reporting for a change.

Cravaack wins

I'm going to have a smile on my face all day,
and a bounces is no more nancy polosi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota