Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:58 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,219,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
Anyway it's one vote, I probably won't make any difference in the outcome.
When 1/3 of registered voters all say the same thing, it can make a difference in the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,139,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The US Constitution says you would be mistaken. But fortunately for you, that same document gives you the right to be wrong as often as you wish.
Boy, I didn't know that my opinion made the Constitution, cool .

Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,645,143 times
Wait, the election was YESTERDAY!? Oh, man, I shouldn't have drank all that cough syrup and partied all night Monday... why does my head hurt?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,657,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
In my opinion, if you don't vote, you give up the right to complain about ANYONE holding office at any level. Since you chose not to do anything about it you forfeit the right to complain. Just how I see things.
I agree. If you can vote but choose not to, I don't want to hear any whining or complaining about the outcome. Voting is a civic responsibility, even if you don't like any of the candidates. The system requires citizen participation if it's going to work.

And for every argument I hear about "I'm just one person so it doesn't matter," you'd think people would have learned that lesson by now!!

And to another poster's comment about the DC license plates: that's "taxation WITHOUT representation," not "with". DC residents don't have a senator and have only one elected house delegate who lacks full voting rights. (you do get to vote for a shadow Senator, though; when we lived there the voting guide questions for the candidates included things like "would you be willing to be arrested" for the cause of DC voting rights.) They get an electoral vote, but that's about it. So, fellow Minnesotans, take a look at DC and be glad that at least here you CAN vote for people who will represent you in DC.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,645,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's really too bad that ONE issue will cause you not to vote,
They say that Politics is the science of the possible, and the game of compromise. Some people just won't compromise, and take impossible positions, so I guess politics isn't for them.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,745,518 times
Wow so the GOP is just as slimy as ever...crying over "election fraud" and comparing this to Franken-Coleman.

Emmer lost by 9000 votes. MN voters traditionally DONT vote straight ticket...hence GOP Governors while supporting DFL Presidential candidates. Its not rocket science. Emmer never had a lead. He lost. Quit being babies and let it go.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Wow so the GOP is just as slimy as ever...crying over "election fraud" and comparing this to Franken-Coleman.

Emmer lost by 9000 votes. MN voters traditionally DONT vote straight ticket...hence GOP Governors while supporting DFL Presidential candidates. Its not rocket science. Emmer never had a lead. He lost. Quit being babies and let it go.
There was definitely something wrong with the counting last night. Dayton had 900,000+ votes already with somewhere around 60% of precincts reporting, then it dropped to around 700,000 after an "error" was "corrected".

Old 11-03-2010, 12:39 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,745,518 times
Yea, so they'll recount and he will still win.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Yea, so they'll recount and he will still win.
That might be true, or it could turn out like your Oberstar predictions.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM

166 posts, read 389,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree. If you can vote but choose not to, I don't want to hear any whining or complaining about the outcome. Voting is a civic responsibility, even if you don't like any of the candidates. The system requires citizen participation if it's going to work.

And for every argument I hear about "I'm just one person so it doesn't matter," you'd think people would have learned that lesson by now!!

And to another poster's comment about the DC license plates: that's "taxation WITHOUT representation," not "with". DC residents don't have a senator and have only one elected house delegate who lacks full voting rights. (you do get to vote for a shadow Senator, though; when we lived there the voting guide questions for the candidates included things like "would you be willing to be arrested" for the cause of DC voting rights.) They get an electoral vote, but that's about it. So, fellow Minnesotans, take a look at DC and be glad that at least here you CAN vote for people who will represent you in DC.

"Voting is a civic responsibility" trying to rub it in? haha

If i'm voting with out conviction, then 1. i'm being dishonest with myself and 2. I'm doing disservice to the defeated candidate as well as constituency. How can a house of representative members (congressman/woman) be a true representative of me, if I selected them with not convictions? If one doesn't care about any of the candidates what's the selection merit chosen? The lesser of two evils? lol choose by looks? choose by age? choose by gender? flip coins? in any case that with that vote the candidate selected is not truly representative of yours because you selected him/her not because of idealogical but simply to satisfy a quota/ego.

you right It's ....without representation..... although thought it was bumper sticker and not targa plate. Haven't been to DC in about 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: