U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2007, 05:13 AM

13 posts, read 45,360 times
Default moving to MN from Australia

G'day, my wife, two young boys and I are thinking of moving to Minneapolis next year. She is from Brainerd and wants to be closer to her family. We have a few questions that we would appreciate help with.
Firstly I am a carpenter / builder and mostly build new homes. How much construction is there? and what sort of income could I expect?
My wife is a nurse and has a masters in midwifery. The midwifery is not fully recognised in the US but it will enable her to work in a birth suite. So she is wanting to find a hospital that encourages natural birth?
We would also require child care for our two boys. I have heard that it is realy expensive there?
And finaly we would like to rent before buying and are thinking of the North West suburbs so as to be closer to her folks. Any thoughts on family friendly areas?
Thanks for any help
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,203,892 times
I think that the NW suburbs would be a good choice. THere is quite a bit of building going on in that area so finding a job shouldn't be too hard for you. Most of the hospitals have visiting privileges for certified midwives. A certified midwife is not allowed to attend a homebirth or she will lose her license. Many of the OB/GYN clinics in MN employ midwives but I don't think that the hospitals themselves employ them. My cousin was a nurse midwife and she worked for the Parkview OB/GYN system, had a regular patient schedule in the office and then was at United Hospital in St. Paul for births.

You should be able to find a townhome to rent pretty easily in the NW suburbs. The housing market is pretty slow right now so if you wanted to buy it would be a good time to do so now. You would most likely be able to turn over a house in the NW suburbs pretty easily in a few years.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM

102 posts, read 449,024 times
Hello, I live in the northwest suburbs of Minneapolis, and well... they are typical suburbs. They are very nice and I enjoy living in them. Minnesota is known for having very top notch schools. The best NW burb is definately Maple Grove(in my opinion as well as many others). Brooklyn Center has lots of crime and gangs. I would NOT go there. Brooklyn Park is similar to Brooklyn Center, but not quite as bad. northern Brooklyn Park is much nicer/safer than the southern part of Brooklyn Park. Rogers is nice and growing like crazy, but too small and spaced out for my taste.(If you like new suburbs with large lawns and not terribly expensive you will like Rogers). The other outer NW suburbs are Otsego, Elk River, St. Michael, Albertville, Monticello, Buffalo and they are all just like regular suburbs, but smaller and farther away from the main city. Maple Grove is great!! Maple Grove has a population of about 60,000. It has wonderful lakes, plentiful parks, good roads(however, lots of traffic), almost every single store and restaurant known to the US, plenty of different housing (old neighborhoods, new neighborhoods, tons of townhouses, many apartments),etc. Maple Grove is about 15 miles from downtown Minneapolis. However, Maple Grove is pretty expensive(compared to other Minnesota towns)-but from what I hear, Australia is extremely expensive.The area is growing quite quikly so a builder could find a job. I don't know much about nurses, sorry, but there are hospitals and clinics around here(they just built a brand new hospital in Maple Grove). I must warn you about winters though- THEY ARE COLD!!!!! It is usually around 0 degrees Fahrenheit!!!!-very, very cold!!!! Summers are warm and I love them. It is usually 85 degrees F, and sunny in the summer in the Twin Cities. WINTERS ARE SO COLD!!!! Sorry, I can't emphasis enough how cold winter is here (you should hear how annoyed my family gets at me in the winter because I complain so much!) The Minneapolis suburbs are indeed very family friendly, and many people love living here(some even enjoy the extreme cold-not me!) Come and see the area for yourself and see if you enjoy it! By the way, I have always thought Australia looks like a GREAT place!! I have always wanted to visit there, especially Sydney. How is it there?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 PM

638 posts, read 2,094,124 times
I am an RN and my best friend is a Certified Nurse Midwife CNM) here in the Twin Cities. Your wife should probably start now to get her papers in order and check out the rules and regs with the MN State Board of Nursing to see if they will recognize her masters' in midwifery. IT may all depend on her education; and if she could get some of that info together, it will help in the long run. There are a lot (maybe most?) of hospitals that allow natural birth here; but Certified Midwives don't do home births here (not that you asked; just trying to straighten out the general public's perception of midwives).

I keep encouraging people to go to midwives because they get better prenatal care using CNM's and can have the type of delivery they want if things go right.

OB/GYN's seem to have higher and higher C-section rates these days.

I think every hospital here has some Nurse Midwives that work through them; but the CNM's are usually employed by a OB/GYN or womans' care service and not directly through the hospital itself.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 PM

21 posts, read 62,772 times
Default Re: move to MN from Australia

Hello;

I cannot advise you but have some advice for your wife since I am also a RN. As someone else stated, first and foremost she needs to contact the MN State Board of Nursing to find out what she legally will be able to do in MN.

If as you say she can work in a birth suite I assume you mean she can work there as a labor and delivery/post-partum RN. I currently live in Seattle so I don't know how things are in MN, but here in Seattle "hospitals" in general are not into natural birth anymore. It really isn't about the "hospital" culture, it is about the individual women and their choices. Unfortunately, what I see happening is many women wanting to choose the date of their baby's birth, get an induction, get elective c-sections, all in all very medicalized births. From my perspective, the women who "go natural" are often seen by midwives and never enter hospitals....OR they deliver at tiny rural hospitals where getting an epidural and elective inductions aren't possible. Personally I think it is very sad. Your wife may be shocked by how medicalized birth is here now, unfortunately. I don't know if I could be a labor and delivery nurse again because of it. If she does work in a larger hospital, the women who do "go natural" sure will appreciate her expertise!

Also, a hospital that is deemed "Baby-Friendly" usually is very supportive of breastfeeding and tend to me a little more "natural." I checked and there are no "Baby-Friendly" hospitals in MN right now.

When I look for a job as a nurse, I often call the floor where I want to work and ask to speak to one of the nurses who would be doing my job to ask her general questions. You often find out more "real" information about that floor's culture than you can in a job interview.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 PM

638 posts, read 2,094,124 times
PBC19, I'm not in the L&D field, but HCMC (Hennepin County Medical Center) allows women to be in control of how they want to birth their babies.

If a woman wishes to go without meds, she can do so there and scream or walk or water birth or whatever all she wants. They LET her do it the way she wants. My friend told me that the CNM's there are totally supportive of the Moms' birth experience and will do whatever necessary to make it a good experience.

I understand that many hospitals start "encouraging" epidurals if the laboring Mom gets noisy; but most CNM's will try to respect the mothers' wishes.

The term "Baby-Friendly" is a designation started in 1991 by the WHO and the UN Childrens' Fund that promotes evidence-based strategies concerning infant feeding to promote breast feeding over formula. Only 57 hospitals (out of somewhere around 6000) in the USA meet the full 10 criteria to earn that title thus far, so I wouldn't depend on that just yet.

Home births may be common in other states; but they aren't the norm here.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweather! View Post
Hello, I live in the northwest suburbs of Minneapolis, and well... they are typical suburbs. They are very nice and I enjoy living in them. Minnesota is known for having very top notch schools. The best NW burb is definately Maple Grove(in my opinion as well as many others). Brooklyn Center has lots of crime and gangs. I would NOT go there. Brooklyn Park is similar to Brooklyn Center, but not quite as bad. northern Brooklyn Park is much nicer/safer than the southern part of Brooklyn Park. Rogers is nice and growing like crazy, but too small and spaced out for my taste.(If you like new suburbs with large lawns and not terribly expensive you will like Rogers). The other outer NW suburbs are Otsego, Elk River, St. Michael, Albertville, Monticello, Buffalo and they are all just like regular suburbs, but smaller and farther away from the main city. Maple Grove is great!! Maple Grove has a population of about 60,000. It has wonderful lakes, plentiful parks, good roads(however, lots of traffic), almost every single store and restaurant known to the US, plenty of different housing (old neighborhoods, new neighborhoods, tons of townhouses, many apartments),etc. Maple Grove is about 15 miles from downtown Minneapolis. However, Maple Grove is pretty expensive(compared to other Minnesota towns)-but from what I hear, Australia is extremely expensive.The area is growing quite quikly so a builder could find a job. I don't know much about nurses, sorry, but there are hospitals and clinics around here(they just built a brand new hospital in Maple Grove). I must warn you about winters though- THEY ARE COLD!!!!! It is usually around 0 degrees Fahrenheit!!!!-very, very cold!!!! Summers are warm and I love them. It is usually 85 degrees F, and sunny in the summer in the Twin Cities. WINTERS ARE SO COLD!!!! Sorry, I can't emphasis enough how cold winter is here (you should hear how annoyed my family gets at me in the winter because I complain so much!) The Minneapolis suburbs are indeed very family friendly, and many people love living here(some even enjoy the extreme cold-not me!) Come and see the area for yourself and see if you enjoy it! By the way, I have always thought Australia looks like a GREAT place!! I have always wanted to visit there, especially Sydney. How is it there?
Thanks for your reply! We will definately check out Maple Grove. It does sound nice. I am trying to prepare myself for the winters. I have had a couple of Christmas's there but I'm sure 5 months will take it's toll!
We live on the Gold Coast and the weather here is nice. It's winter here and over night lows are around 40. So a sweatshirt in the morning is all we need! Thanks again for your reply.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
PBC19, I'm not in the L&D field, but HCMC (Hennepin County Medical Center) allows women to be in control of how they want to birth their babies.

If a woman wishes to go without meds, she can do so there and scream or walk or water birth or whatever all she wants. They LET her do it the way she wants. My friend told me that the CNM's there are totally supportive of the Moms' birth experience and will do whatever necessary to make it a good experience.

I understand that many hospitals start "encouraging" epidurals if the laboring Mom gets noisy; but most CNM's will try to respect the mothers' wishes.

The term "Baby-Friendly" is a designation started in 1991 by the WHO and the UN Childrens' Fund that promotes evidence-based strategies concerning infant feeding to promote breast feeding over formula. Only 57 hospitals (out of somewhere around 6000) in the USA meet the full 10 criteria to earn that title thus far, so I wouldn't depend on that just yet.

Home births may be common in other states; but they aren't the norm here.
Hi JenLee. My wife has looked at HCMC and was thinking that it is the kind of hospital she would like to work at. So she is glad to hear it from someone who works there! Thanks for your help. I'm sure she will contact HCMC when we get closer to leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota